Old 16 August 2011, 14:27   #1

Town: Bathgate
Boat name: Love Me Tender
Make: Brig Eagle 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Petrol 50hp
Temporary mooring

I'm looking for a bit of advice about how heavy a weight to use for a "temporary mooring".

I keep my rib in a boatyard at my caravan site and drag her down to the launch area when I'm there for the weekend/week.

Rather than recover her after every use, I am looking to make my life a little bit easier by mooring her in the shallows when not in use.

The shallows being about 2 to 3 feet of freshwater loch with a sandy/silty bottom.

I have been thinking about using a steel weight (a kettlebell or a flat weightlifting plate) with about 1 metre of chain and a short piece of rope to a small pick-up buoy.

But my dilema is how heavy a weight?

The boat is a Brig Eagle 380 and has a 50hp Honda o/b - together they weigh just over 300kg.

I've read that "mushroom anchors" can hold about 10 times their weight and have therefore been thinking about a 30kg kettlebell.

However, my 4kg folding grapnel anchor seems to hold her quite well in calm to breezy conditions (albeit when she is not out of my sight) so is 30kg a bit over the top?

I realise it may not be the weight of the grapnel but what it is digging into.

Any advice on any aspect of this is most welcome.

Many thanks.
Old 16 August 2011, 14:50   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
How about dropping your anchor over the stern & taking a line from the bow to the shore & tying off to something solid on shore

ee lad, tha can't educate pork
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 16:41   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Presumably if it is only 2 or 3 feet of water then you have the option of digging a hole and burying your 30kg anchor weight into the silt before use, in which case I'd think it would be highly unlikely to move anywhere.

Otherwise I'd go along with PD's idea except buy a big cheap secondhand Danforth or similar, several sizes bigger than the boat needs, and use that. I nearly bought an oversize Fortress with the same idea in mind recently, but never got around to it.

Nothing better than overkill to ensure peace of mind

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2011, 17:02   #4

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Hi Bof L
I am just up the loch from you at Tayvallich for my tender I use a 5kg graple anchor as a point and have a slip line ashore. This has held my 3m sib for years there is not much 'windage' on a rib or sib. You'll be fine.
maybe catch up sometime on the water, I was down at Kilmory last week lovely day nearly poped over to Jura but put into Elian Mhor instead for picnic.

J
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote