Old 07 May 2019, 20:31   #61

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
just a small update

Ribcraft are doing a sea trial on Thursday and I finally get to collect it on Friday ..........

Normally they don't sea trial anything less than the 6.4m, but they are keen to sea trial because they need to make sure that the Merc 150 is propped correctly and correctly positioned ............ they are also keen to try out the Garmin sonar as it is quite a complex install ........ also, their professional photographer will be there ..............
Old 09 May 2019, 22:54   #62

Ah well ......... another couple of days to wait ...........

Sea trial went well, but the boat is over-propped only pulling 5200rpm @44knts ........... so going down to a 19 (SS) from 21 (SS) to make it pull hopefully 5500 -5800 rpm ............

Looking good through ...........
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	129259
Old 10 May 2019, 05:25   #63

Length: 6m +
Looks good ,nice colour scheme[emoji106]
Old 10 May 2019, 08:58   #64

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Very jealous looks lovely -any reason the radar reflector is down there rather than on top of the a frame?
Old 10 May 2019, 10:44   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Very jealous looks lovely -any reason the radar reflector is down there rather than on top of the a frame?

I think that is now their preferred fitting location ......... TBH, I don't think it makes too much difference, but I do prefer it fitted in its current position.

New prop arrives on Monday, so I will pick up the boat probably on Tuesday.
Old 10 May 2019, 10:55   #66

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
I think that is now their preferred fitting location ......... TBH, I don't think it makes too much difference, but I do prefer it fitted in its current position.

New prop arrives on Monday, so I will pick up the boat probably on Tuesday.

Which prop are they fitting? I’d be pressing for a Rev4.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 11:32   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

I did Dave, but there are some stock issues with Rev 4's ........... so its going to be a 19 SS for the moment ........... but I have a cunning plan to fit a Rev4 ion its interim service .......

It was planned to collect the boat today, but the weather is sh1te here at the moment and there looks to be a weather window for the end of next week, so all in all it has worked out OK
Old 11 May 2019, 13:17   #68

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
I think that is now their preferred fitting location ......... TBH, I don't think it makes too much difference.
I'd always thought thought the radar reflector should be as high as practically possible - I have aTri-lens mounted on top of my A-frame (but it's not nearly as big as the Echomax).

Very nice boat - but v. similar to mine so I may be slightly biased
Looking forward to seeing you and her out on the S.Devon water
Old 11 May 2019, 19:49   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I'd always thought thought the radar reflector should be as high as practically possible - I have aTri-lens mounted on top of my A-frame (but it's not nearly as big as the Echomax).

Very nice boat - but v. similar to mine so I may be slightly biased
Looking forward to seeing you and her out on the S.Devon water
To be fair an echomax does give a huge target ............

Last year I did some tests with another boat that I sometimes helm that has Garmin radar, and a 'Nord Fisher' ............ with the Echomax mounted on the Nord fisher cuddy roof antenna frame the target reflection was excellent ........ with the echomax mounted on the port stern (Transom) the target reflection was different but still a massive target ......... this was done at a little over a one mile range ............ that is one of the reasons why I decided on the echomax, for a passive reflector they seem to be excellent.
Old 11 May 2019, 20:20   #70

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Super new boat ,looks superb ,
My new to me 5.3 had an echomax top of a frame when i left Troon ,fitted on with the echomax £300 stainless bracket ,think i lost it on the A1 round weatherby area Ha ha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribcraft 5.3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	129305   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0508.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	129306  
Old 11 May 2019, 21:44   #71

I know, Echomax always looked well out of proportion on a sub 6m RIB - which is why I've gone for the smaller Tri-lens.

Given the point of a radar reflector is
a) a legal technicality - if it's practicable to fit on
b) a purely defensive mechanism - that someone else can see you,

To avoid contact with commercial shipping in conditions where I have limited visual (to be avoided) I think AIS would be the better investment, given I have the p0wer / manoevurability to change course quickly from potential risk
Old 11 May 2019, 22:46   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I know, Echomax always looked well out of proportion on a sub 6m RIB - which is why I've gone for the smaller Tri-lens.

Given the point of a radar reflector is
a) a legal technicality - if it's practicable to fit on
b) a purely defensive mechanism - that someone else can see you,

To avoid contact with commercial shipping in conditions where I have limited visual (to be avoided) I think AIS would be the better investment, given I have the p0wer / manoevurability to change course quickly from potential risk
That why I decided against Radar. I feel that in or crossing the shipping lanes then AIS is more useful. Ships can identify you and you can see exactly who they are with course an speed. Also a quick prod on the plotter can also initiate a voice radio call.
Old 14 May 2019, 19:31   #73

Quote:

Collected the boat today, and yes, they have fitted a 19 pitch Rev4 ...... so I am very pleased and cant wait to give it a try ............

However, I need to sit down for a few hours and set up the plotters, Smartcraft, and AIS to work they way I like them to work ....... only a few minor tweaks needed, but as always it will be buried in a multitude of options .........
Old 14 May 2019, 21:03   #74

RIBase
Quote:
Collected the boat today, and yes, they have fitted a 19 pitch Rev4 ...... so I am very pleased and cant wait to give it a try ............

However, I need to sit down for a few hours and set up the plotters, Smartcraft, and AIS to work they way I like them to work ....... only a few minor tweaks needed, but as always it will be buried in a multitude of options .........

Result [emoji106] enjoy playing with the toys. I’d update any firmware before starting to setup.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 14 May 2019, 21:52   #75

Quote:
Result [emoji106] enjoy playing with the toys. I’d update any firmware before starting to setup.
+1
Enjoy- you will have a cracking boat.

You can calibrate / set up electronics whilst doing the very boring first couple of engine hours run in.

Remember to take it slow & steady until you have a good feel of how she handles - it's not a competition
Old 14 May 2019, 22:28   #76

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Collected but no play yet? must be tough - enjoy your time with the new toy; looks great
Old 15 May 2019, 18:38   #77

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Enjoy!
Hopefully see you around some time

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 10:07   #78

It was a nice evening , so last night saw my first trip ................

Launched into the spring tide (with 5knt flowing at right angles to the slip) with no drama, but I know the slip well have have launched there for years ........

As I went astern off the slip it was obvious that the 4 blade prop was producing a lot of grip ...... most boats don't do 'backwards' very well, but this this one does !

Once out of the Nav channel and over the bar I opened throttle and was expecting a bouncy ride in the short chop, but I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the ride was.

The hole shot is nothing short of fantastic and the acceleration is extremely brisk, even in the short half metre chop I was doing 38knts in no time at all and it wasn't trying to take my teeth out ............

The Garmin AIS decided to play ball not long after I launched (it had been stuck in RX mode only) and was fine for the whole trip.

To be honest I felt like a bit like bl00dy hooligan out there hooning around

I get a monster rooster trail off the Panoptix transducer that is higher than the A frame, so I will need to construct a diffuser to stop me looking like a jet ski

The are a few little jobs to do ............. the throttle creeps so it needs more friction and I also need a nice day the finish the active trim set up, as I need to cruise at the high 30's and use aggressive trim to get the bow well up to set the top end of the trim profiles ........... also the smartcraft needs more setting up as it is not reading the digital trim and the fuel tank correctly, but that is all just a bit of button pushing.

The fuel consumption is good ............ I did a little under 13Nm and used about 12L, so under normal operation I would guess it will be 0.75 / 0.8L per Nm ............

Yes, very happy indeed .............
Old 22 May 2019, 10:34   #79

RIBase
Quote:
It was a nice evening , so last night saw my first trip ................

Launched into the spring tide (with 5knt flowing at right angles to the slip) with no drama, but I know the slip well have have launched there for years ........

As I went astern off the slip it was obvious that the 4 blade prop was producing a lot of grip ...... most boats don't do 'backwards' very well, but this this one does !

Once out of the Nav channel and over the bar I opened throttle and was expecting a bouncy ride in the short chop, but I was pleasantly surprised how smooth the ride was.

The hole shot is nothing short of fantastic and the acceleration is extremely brisk, even in the short half metre chop I was doing 38knts in no time at all and it wasn't trying to take my teeth out ............

The Garmin AIS decided to play ball not long after I launched (it had been stuck in RX mode only) and was fine for the whole trip.

To be honest I felt like a bit like bl00dy hooligan out there hooning around

I get a monster rooster trail off the Panoptix transducer that is higher than the A frame, so I will need to construct a diffuser to stop me looking like a jet ski

The are a few little jobs to do ............. the throttle creeps so it needs more friction and I also need a nice day the finish the active trim set up, as I need to cruise at the high 30's and use aggressive trim to get the bow well up to set the top end of the trim profiles ........... also the smartcraft needs more setting up as it is not reading the digital trim and the fuel tank correctly, but that is all just a bit of button pushing.

The fuel consumption is good ............ I did a little under 13Nm and used about 12L, so under normal operation I would guess it will be 0.75 / 0.8L per Nm ............

Yes, very happy indeed .............

Great news. It always takes me a couple of seasons to get the boats setup “just so”, but that’s all part of the fun.
Old 22 May 2019, 13:09   #80

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I'm going through the same fettling procedure myself with my Humber. 3 trips now and each results in a tweak to settings, moving where things are stored, ordering a new gadget (some mesh storage nets for the console are yet to be fitted) and I also need to do something with my transducer. You might find that lifting yours helps, if you can. Try lifting until it no longer works at speed and see if it reduces the spray. Mine has a fair spray but is well into the water flow at speed so can probably come up half an inch.

Is your smartcraft wired to the gps output? I connected mine the other day and you get a whole host of new features to enable such as fuel to waypoint, remaining range etc.

Phil

Tags
rib, ribcraft