Old 02 July 2018, 17:33   #21

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
I assume you're talking about the Zodiac Pro 5.5? It's not the same as the 550.

The Zodiac Pro 5.5 hull is vacuum infused, with a molded hull, molded stringer, and molded deck. There's no wood coring in the deck or the stringers. It also has a reverse shoebox hull deck joint, which is superior to the sandwich joint used by most RIB manufacturers and on Zodiac's older craft.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2018, 18:52   #22

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
I assume you're talking about the Zodiac Pro 5.5? It's not the same as the 550.

The Zodiac Pro 5.5 hull is vacuum infused, with a molded hull, molded stringer, and molded deck. There's no wood coring in the deck or the stringers. It also has a reverse shoebox hull deck joint, which is superior to the sandwich joint used by most RIB manufacturers and on Zodiac's older craft.

Yes, the New-pro 5.5........... https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/sho...ro-en/pro-5-5/

The 2 UK dealers I spoke with are not particulary impressed with the factory build quality, although both assured me that they would not hand-over a boat to a customer that wasnt correct in every detail ........... add to this that the owner of an ex factory demo boat is less than impressed !

I think is may be a little different in the USA .......... you guys dont put up with crap like we do in the UK and mainland EU !

I am sure that in the fullness of time these issues will be put to rest .......... but not at my time and expense !
Old 02 July 2018, 19:12   #23

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
I have an older Ribcraft 585 which has a Suzuki DF140 on it. I use it for exactly what you intend - fishing and diving anything to 30 miles offshore. I'm very pleased with in all regards and it suits my needs very well.

Latest version of the 585 would differ slightly I'm sure but if you want to come out on mine and do some fishing you'd be welcome - you'd at least get an idea of space and sea keeping.

Regarding the engine choice I'd definitely go with the 150 merc if buying new - however my old DF140 provides good performance and economy on mine - 40 knots and decent acceleration. More than adequate for my needs and doesn't struggle too badly with extra load from divers etc either.

The newer DF140AP is a redesign which has eliminated a lot of the fiddly issues that the earlier ones suffered as far as I understand
Old 02 July 2018, 19:15   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
Yes, the New-pro 5.5........... https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/sho...ro-en/pro-5-5/

The 2 UK dealers I spoke with are not particulary impressed with the factory build quality, although both assured me that they would not hand-over a boat to a customer that wasnt correct in every detail ........... add to this that the owner of an ex factory demo boat is less than impressed !

I think is may be a little different in the USA .......... you guys dont put up with crap like we do in the UK and mainland EU !

I am sure that in the fullness of time these issues will be put to rest .......... but not at my time and expense !
Forget the zodiac, you are getting a better boat no question. We are lucky the best ribs are made on our doorstep, yes not cheap but you get it back at other side.
Old 02 July 2018, 19:20   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Forget the zodiac, you are getting a better boat no question. We are lucky the best ribs are made on our doorstep, yes not cheap but you get it back at other side.

Also, by going "local" you get a bespoke build. I'd be looking at a deck matrix for those future Ullmans[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2018, 19:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Also, by going "local" you get a bespoke build. I'd be looking at a deck matrix for those future Ullmans[emoji6]
Or even a decent set of shock seats
Old 02 July 2018, 19:24   #27

RIBase
Quote:
Or even a decent set of shock seats

Ha ha, touché [emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 02 July 2018, 19:49   #28

In all seriousness, if shock seats are on the cards do it from new If funds allow. It will literally save a fortune as you won't have the cost of the original seats (which aren't cheap) or the cost to install them later. I was quoted 2 grand to install my scotseats by someone!!!
Old 02 July 2018, 20:18   #29

Quote:

No shock seats for me ........

I am very much a fair weather angler / boater ........... and I'm old

Also I come form the 'fishing boat' fraternity ...... captains swivel chair fitted with a suspension tractor seat and arm rests .........

TBH ...... in rough weather I much prefer to 'stand up & helm' using my legs as suspension ............ pretty standard practise in a fishing boat. a bit 'wearing' after a couple of hours, but it works for me.

I probably wont have jockey seat for the Helm & Nav .......... I might just go for a bolster arrangement...............
Old 02 July 2018, 20:25   #30

Quote:
I probably wont have jockey seat for the Helm & Nav .......... I might just go for a bolster arrangement...............
Oh dear, have you thought about the zodiac?
Old 02 July 2018, 20:41   #31

Quote:
Oh dear, have you thought about the zodiac?

Us old gits have funny ideas at times ......... however, I really dont find jockey seats to be very comfortable ...........but I need to try the ribcraft seats to be sure ......

A front bench might be OK .......... but I'm not so sure about the Ribcraft armchair style ! ....... Their rear bench looks a lot like the 2 chestertons in my living room ..........

Remember ......... I stay at home in anything more than a 1m sea ........ I often think twice if its more than 0.5m (depends on peak to peak time)
Old 02 July 2018, 21:02   #32

To each their own dude, it is your wedge.
Old 02 July 2018, 23:31   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
To each their own dude, it is your wedge.
I had a conversation with my DOT surveyor recently about bench seats - he said they were increasingly favouring jockey stylie seats in RIBs as the feeling was benches were likely to cause injury after hard landings. I commented that some of my "older" male clients didn't like jockeys and either rode "side saddle" or chose my very comfy bench seat. His reply was: "Yeah, prostate issues mean a hard saddle isn't appreciated". Food for thought....
Old 03 July 2018, 10:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I had a conversation with my DOT surveyor recently about bench seats - he said they were increasingly favouring jockey stylie seats in RIBs as the feeling was benches were likely to cause injury after hard landings. I commented that some of my "older" male clients didn't like jockeys and either rode "side saddle" or chose my very comfy bench seat. His reply was: "Yeah, prostate issues mean a hard saddle isn't appreciated". Food for thought....

This I can understand Willk ............ but I think its more to do with mobility and older joint stiffness than prostrate. I dont have an issue with them, other than the fact I find them really uncomfortable !......... what does surprise me is that you rarely see a RIB with 'Captains Chair' type swivel seats ......... a common sight on fishing and sports boats, either pedistal or box mounted .......... Also, over the last couple of years, I am noticing that more 'older' mariners are buying RIBS ........... I would guess that on my local slip probably more than 70% of the RIB owners are in their late 50's to early 70's ...........
Old 03 July 2018, 10:57   #35

RIBase
Quote:
This I can understand Willk ............ but I think its more to do with mobility and older joint stiffness than prostrate. I dont have an issue with them, other than the fact I find them really uncomfortable !......... what does surprise me is that you rarely see a RIB with 'Captains Chair' type swivel seats ......... a common sight on fishing and sports boats, either pedistal or box mounted .......... Also, over the last couple of years, I am noticing that more 'older' mariners are buying RIBS ........... I would guess that on my local slip probably more than 70% of the RIB owners are in their late 50's to early 70's ...........

I don't think that a pedestal type seat would stand up to the hammer that it would receive on a RIB. You also might want to think about resale values too when planning your seating.
Old 03 July 2018, 11:15   #36

Quote:
I don't think that a pedestal type seat would stand up to the hammer that it would receive on a RIB. You also might want to think about resale values too when planning your seating.

Yes, you are right Dave ............. for a while now I am thinking that jockeys with wingbacks are the way to go............

Thinking about it ........ with most fishing boats the helm is well forward to the bow so yes, the helm takes a real pounding and often you cant slow down because of the travel time issues with being a long way out. If I am not at the helm, then I tend to go and sit on the transom when we are pushing a head sea at 25 knts ....
Old 03 July 2018, 11:50   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Yes, you are right Dave ............. for a while now I am thinking that jockeys with wingbacks are the way to go............
I think Dave is spot on - eventually you will sell the boat on, and a weird seating arrangement will either narrow your market or reduce your price significantly (as prospective buyers see it as a project).

That said, you might want to have a look at Shearwater ribs - they had a model which had a quite nicely designed (aesthetically - I've never tried it) bolster arrangement which also folded down to be a bench. It was quite a bit bigger than you are looking at - so the size may not scale.

Is the comfort issue the mounting/unmounting and get the leg over issue or actually sitting on it? If the former then short jockeys with a gap in front should solve it.
Old 03 July 2018, 12:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Is the comfort issue the mounting/unmounting and get the leg over issue or actually sitting on it? If the former then short jockeys with a gap in front should solve it.

I never have trouble getting my leg over

No ....... its just a general comfort issue, especially when I am fishing for a while. However, I have thought it through (with the help of you guys) and fishing shouldnt be a such a big issue as I can sit sideways and rest my feet on the tube, also I will most likely go for a front facing seat on the console which is another great position for fishing.

But yes, the residual value is important, so I will go with the flow ....

Its a funny old world ..... there is me concerned about sitting comfort when fishing and in most small fishing boats you STAND UP all day and fish ... usually leaning on the gunnel ...........
Old 03 July 2018, 20:45   #39

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Single jockey with wingbacks every time for me now I have them.

On a 585 personally I'd go for 4 xsingles, not 2 singles and a bench - just my opinion.

If budget ran to it and my back or knees were rather worn I'd consider suspension seats on front 2 jockeys, but there would be a lossof some storage.

I'm sure you'll decide on whatever will work best for you and your ribbing.

LT
Old 03 July 2018, 21:39   #40

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Single jockey with wingbacks every time for me now I have them.

On a 585 personally I'd go for 4 xsingles, not 2 singles and a bench - just my opinion.

If budget ran to it and my back or knees were rather worn I'd consider suspension seats on front 2 jockeys, but there would be a lossof some storage.

I'm sure you'll decide on whatever will work best for you and your ribbing.

LT
Good advice!... born from experience

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, ribcraft