Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Well plenty of people come on here to say I have bought or am thinking of buying a beautiful RIB but think I can recover some of my costs by hiring it out, and wanting to know if others have experience of doing this.

I guess you are making the point very well that as a consumer you are unlikely to treat that pride n joy with the same respect you might if it was your own... ...which was exactly my point...
QED...

A Ribshack boat from this weekend
Old 26 July 2021, 11:54   #22

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Well plenty of people come on here to say I have bought or am thinking of buying a beautiful RIB but think I can recover some of my costs by hiring it out, and wanting to know if others have experience of doing this.

I guess you are making the point very well that as a consumer you are unlikely to treat that pride n joy with the same respect you might if it was your own... ...which was exactly my point...
Yup. Once you make that step to renting something out it ceases being your pride and joy because the other people using it will never consistently look after it as you would. It just becomes a consumable object with the typical wear and tear of such.
Old 26 July 2021, 17:03   #23

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:

The term dog 🐕 with a bone comes to mind lol
Old 26 July 2021, 17:12   #24

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndlandguy View Post
We do this in Cornwall, and due to the tides, I anchor off. We carry a 12v air compressor and blow up a couple of SUP's on the boat and use them to get ashore etc. Found that much easier than trying to beach, and then the subsequent hassle of tides / surf.
What part of Cornwall do you launch?
Old 26 July 2021, 23:03   #25

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Why would anyone even consider it?
It's only common sence (and maners!) to totally avoid any flagged (patroled area) and very potentially crowded area whith children... Lilo's ...Elderly paddlers.. ect when Beach landing your RIB SURLY !

There's plenty of coastline to choose a safe spot to land or beach where your pressense won't cause any problems for anyone afterall
If in doubt... don't land

Thing is that’s often where the pubs, restaurants, toilets, icecream huts etc are…. You know the facilities I’m all for miles of and miles of craggy rocks and open water but a helm cannot survive on sights alone and my picnic making skills are very lacking so stopping r supplies is key to a good day out, lifeguards are just that they don’t own the beach nor do they control access……. There may be buoyed areas with 5knt limits or dedicated launching areas these typically are seasonal and only signed on the land as the council half wits can’t understand anyone would launch outside their empire and want to land anywhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
QED...

A Ribshack boat from this weekend
Because a privately owned boat never broke a mooring or dragged its anchor
Old 27 July 2021, 07:41   #26
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Thing is that’s often where the pubs, restaurants, toilets, icecream huts etc are…. You know the facilities I’m all for miles of and miles of craggy rocks and open water but a helm cannot survive on sights alone and my picnic making skills are very lacking so stopping r supplies is key to a good day out, lifeguards are just that they don’t own the beach nor do they control access…….
You need to buy a cool box and find a nice deli (or a petrol station sandwich counter!) to stop at on your way to launch... no Q's, no crowds, no territorial lifeguards - but most importantly no members of the public who will either swim into your prop or use your boat as a bathing platform whilst you are at the shops.
Old 27 July 2021, 08:07   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You need to buy a cool box and find a nice deli (or a petrol station sandwich counter!) to stop at on your way to launch... no Q's, no crowds, no territorial lifeguards - but most importantly no members of the public who will either swim into your prop or use your boat as a bathing platform whilst you are at the shops.

Agreed, one of the joys of boating for me is escaping the crowds/noise/smell of the Great British Seaside. As soon as the stress of launching is over & we’re on our way out to sea, I can feel myself relaxing. Coming into a beach to land or recover the boat is doubly stressful.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2021, 08:54   #28

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Coming into a beach to land or recover the boat is doubly stressful.

Naw .... its the best part ..for me anyhoo ....

Old 27 July 2021, 19:53   #29

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
We beach all the time in Scotland, mostly on lochs (no tide, but rocks) but also in the islands.

Two vital things: a shallow V, and an anchor buddy. Get the technique nailed and it's easy onions.
Old 27 July 2021, 20:03   #30
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
...and it's easy onions.
Is that the same as "wee buns"? I have to keep on top of these things
Old 28 July 2021, 14:21   #31

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastasfox View Post
What part of Cornwall do you launch?
Im in north cornwall. From Rock down to St Ives.
Old 10 July 2022, 07:54   #32

Different perspective

How about not landing near a populated beach. Diesel and petrol scum are so pleasant to be swimming through. Find a secluded beach so as not to ruin the day of beach goers
Old 10 July 2022, 08:07   #33

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstyMat View Post
How about not landing near a populated beach. Diesel and petrol scum are so pleasant to be swimming through. Find a secluded beach so as not to ruin the day of beach goers

Interesting first post
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 10 July 2022, 08:57   #34

Town: Falmouth
Engine: Yam 150F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
. As soon as the stress of launching is over & we’re on our way out to sea, I can feel myself relaxing. Coming into a beach to land or recover the boat is doubly stressful.
I'm with the Gurnard, I often beach my RIB, however I do choose my beach accordingly, wouldn't beach with a strong onshore wind and anything other than flat water. I've also got a keel guard fitted so the gelcoat is protected.

Luckily I don't find it stressful, I have specific anchor setup that is only 3.5m (set up for the general water depths on the beaches I'm anchoring at) in length with a 5kg angel set 1.5m back from the anchor. On the crown of the anchor I have a 20m length of lightweight (8mm) rope. I simply nose up to the beach slowly, use the last bit of momentum to reach the sand (engine now off and tilted up). Everyone out etc with various picnics BBQ etc. Connect the anchor and balance it and the angel on the front (anchor fluke pointing forwards) then give the RIB a good hard push off and at the same time paying out on the long line, once the RIB stops or its where I want it a quick tug on the light line and the anchor falls off the front and hey presto anchored

The angel does 2 things, due to the weight it stops the anchor chain (1m) from lifting and keeps the swinging circle small (good for little Cornish coves), soon as you want the RIB back simply pull in the anchor using the light line, as it's tied to the fluke it pulls the anchor out and backwards towards you and won't re-set.

I wouldn't use this setup if I was going to be away from the RIB and in a position to keep an eye on it.

On a rising tide its just a simple case of pulling the anchor towards you and hence into shallower water as the tide rises, if its a ebbing tide then you may have to repeat the process once or twice depending of how long you're staying and tidal range but no big deal. Don't get me wrong, I made a prat of myself a couple of times at the start whilst perfecting the method. Number 1 tip, keep an eye on the end of the light line that you have on the beach, if the tide rises beyond the end you're going for a swim!!
Old 10 July 2022, 10:01   #35

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster100 View Post
I'm with the Gurnard, I often beach my RIB, however I do choose my beach accordingly, wouldn't beach with a strong onshore wind and anything other than flat water. I've also got a keel guard fitted so the gelcoat is protected.

Luckily I don't find it stressful, I have specific anchor setup that is only 3.5m (set up for the general water depths on the beaches I'm anchoring at) in length with a 5kg angel set 1.5m back from the anchor. On the crown of the anchor I have a 20m length of lightweight (8mm) rope. I simply nose up to the beach slowly, use the last bit of momentum to reach the sand (engine now off and tilted up). Everyone out etc with various picnics BBQ etc. Connect the anchor and balance it and the angel on the front (anchor fluke pointing forwards) then give the RIB a good hard push off and at the same time paying out on the long line, once the RIB stops or its where I want it a quick tug on the light line and the anchor falls off the front and hey presto anchored

The angel does 2 things, due to the weight it stops the anchor chain (1m) from lifting and keeps the swinging circle small (good for little Cornish coves), soon as you want the RIB back simply pull in the anchor using the light line, as it's tied to the fluke it pulls the anchor out and backwards towards you and won't re-set.

I wouldn't use this setup if I was going to be away from the RIB and in a position to keep an eye on it.

On a rising tide its just a simple case of pulling the anchor towards you and hence into shallower water as the tide rises, if its a ebbing tide then you may have to repeat the process once or twice depending of how long you're staying and tidal range but no big deal. Don't get me wrong, I made a prat of myself a couple of times at the start whilst perfecting the method. Number 1 tip, keep an eye on the end of the light line that you have on the beach, if the tide rises beyond the end you're going for a swim!!
I use this exact technique regularly on a local beach, usually to looks of .."hey that was cool, he's done that before"[emoji16][emoji41]
Old 10 July 2022, 20:13   #36

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstyMat View Post
I hate suntan oil on my boat good point
Old 10 July 2022, 20:40   #37

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Quick efficient beach landing here at 1min 25secs...

Minimal engine combustion products for swimmers... minimal sun tan lotion on SIB. Win win I reckon.
Old 10 July 2022, 21:34   #38

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
No problems with suntan oil to report in Studland this weekend
Old 11 July 2022, 08:49   #39

Town: Haddington
Boat name: BLUE DREAM
Make: RIB-X
Engine: SUZUKI DF100
Beach landing common sense

With boats- as in life- common sense should prevail when making decisions
Flagged areas are flagged for a reason- to provide a secure swimming area with no marine traffic
Think of a jet-ski (&#128563 coming in to this area - what would the reaction be…..!!!??
Common sense dictates- avoid and land elsewhere.
Old 11 July 2022, 16:09   #40

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I hate suntan oil on my boat good point

If you think suntan oil is bad, try getting blood off.