Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
Plenty of feedback, some useful some not so…but thanks all.

Let me just clarify - I’m sure like many folks that peruse these forums im trying to find the Ideal blend of middle ground rib.

I have a wife/ kids that want the leisure piece, a table & sun pad is useful let’s be honest for the leisure days moored out by Old Harry rocks etc, whilst at the same time I hope to do round the Isle of Wight, longer south coast trips etc, solo maybe, so the last thing I want to be in is anything not up to lumpy seas should things turn, as they often do.

Quality build is clearly desired and good residuals also factor in ones decision making process,

Problem I have with say Ribcraft/XS is they really are so basic with no frills at all, Cobra are now silly money IMO, Rib-eye are Marmite I’m not entirely sure why (as in factual logical argument) then I popped into Wolf Rock and I thought I’d pop a post up

I agree look at my shitty basic Ribcraft [emoji108]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3407.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	138589

In all seriousness if you find yourself in a lumpy sea with young kids or elderly relatives are sunpads or picnics tables or bench seats really appropriate ?

I agree that the leisure ribs for family days are great for those which like them but all boats are a compromise I wouldn’t claim mine is going to keep the sun pad brigade happy and the toilet is a bail out bucket!

But when it kicks up rough even on the average day around a headland or into a head sea glad with my choice
Old 27 August 2021, 06:05   #22

Length: 3m +
Quite a bit of passive aggression against the concept of leisure.
Old 27 August 2021, 07:15   #23

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
Quite a bit of passive aggression against the concept of leisure.

Depends on your definition of leisure I suppose [emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 08:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Depends on your definition of leisure I suppose [emoji848]
There it is again.

There is no definition. All humans are unique. We all place a different value on concepts such as leisure. On top of that we all have different work schedules, different freedoms and different family set ups all on top of different likes and dislikes.

What this means is that there is no definition of leisure. No right or wrong so to say things such as 'depends on your definition' comes out as a passive aggressive assertion that somehow your completely personal and bespoke concept of leisure is somehow a default upon which all others must value themselves against.

My father lived for sailing and was an extremely capable offshore yachtsman but his boat was a compromise as leisure time with his family was more important. He tolerated regular jibes from chaps who couldn't sail for toffee, had never raced but bought racing boats that their family didn't obtain any pleasure from.

RIBs with sun loungers and picnic tables offer a huge advantage to the family man who wants to grab moments to take his family out on the water, take his wife to the places she would like to go, take their children where they will have the most fun. That may mean sacrificing one's option to be able to round the Fastnet in a 9 bit that shouldn't be seen as some kind of negative bit merely as a difference.

Personally, having grown up on the Solent I've done my share of channel crossings, round the island in a gale and don't feel I have anything to prove to myself or passers by and would head directly for. Leisure/family RIB, wholly swerving the commercial look or need to randomly cross the Atlantic without using a plane. Picnic tables and cushions can be extremely important essentials to serious boaters, just as a family yacht was essential to a very serious yachtsman.

Of the Brig is built well enough for family duties then those cushions and tables are huge positives for a proper boater looking to do the things that they want to do at that point in their life.
Old 27 August 2021, 08:09   #25

Town: Cornwall
RIBase
Brig Eagle 6.7

Dont think PD is being passive aggressive?

Or maybe I am?

Either way didnt mean to cause any offence to Brig/Grand owners

Pretty sure we all enjoy our days on the water whatever craft we are on

Saw the price of a Brig 6.7 on their website though and pretty sure you can get into a decent UK built boat of similar length for that

Now I understand the UK built boats might not be everyone’s cup of tea but then neither are Brig/Grands and others of their ilk for me

I guess I am in a minority though as in the local drystack it is the latter which dominate
Old 27 August 2021, 08:10   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
All humans are unique.
I'm not!
Old 27 August 2021, 08:47   #27

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
There it is again.

There is no definition. All humans are unique. We all place a different value on concepts such as leisure. On top of that we all have different work schedules, different freedoms and different family set ups all on top of different likes and dislikes.

What this means is that there is no definition of leisure. No right or wrong so to say things such as 'depends on your definition' comes out as a passive aggressive assertion that somehow your completely personal and bespoke concept of leisure is somehow a default upon which all others must value themselves against.

My father lived for sailing and was an extremely capable offshore yachtsman but his boat was a compromise as leisure time with his family was more important. He tolerated regular jibes from chaps who couldn't sail for toffee, had never raced but bought racing boats that their family didn't obtain any pleasure from.

RIBs with sun loungers and picnic tables offer a huge advantage to the family man who wants to grab moments to take his family out on the water, take his wife to the places she would like to go, take their children where they will have the most fun. That may mean sacrificing one's option to be able to round the Fastnet in a 9 bit that shouldn't be seen as some kind of negative bit merely as a difference.

Personally, having grown up on the Solent I've done my share of channel crossings, round the island in a gale and don't feel I have anything to prove to myself or passers by and would head directly for. Leisure/family RIB, wholly swerving the commercial look or need to randomly cross the Atlantic without using a plane. Picnic tables and cushions can be extremely important essentials to serious boaters, just as a family yacht was essential to a very serious yachtsman.

Of the Brig is built well enough for family duties then those cushions and tables are huge positives for a proper boater looking to do the things that they want to do at that point in their life.

Which I think is what I said….
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2021, 09:59   #28
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Plenty of feedback, some useful some not so…but thanks all.
Let me just clarify - I’m sure like many folks that peruse these forums im trying to find the Ideal blend of middle ground rib.
I have a wife/ kids that want the leisure piece, a table & sun pad is useful let’s be honest for the leisure days moored out by Old Harry rocks etc, whilst at the same time I hope to do round the Isle of Wight, longer south coast trips etc, solo maybe, so the last thing I want to be in is anything not up to lumpy seas should things turn, as they often do.
If there was such a utopian rib all the manufacturers would just make different clones of it. All RIBs will make it round the IoW in good conditions with a competent helm. Any RIB provides a platform at anchor - your weather, time, partner may mean you are more likely to get use from a sun pad or table than others -- but its a very expensive (upfront and maintenance) thing if it only gets used a couple of weekends a year. One thing to consider is - if this is your intended use - do you actually need a rib? The tubes "waste" a lot of internal volume and are relatively expensive etc...

Some people convince themselves that a better hull means they'll use it more often and get better value from it. Some do. I think the extra money might be better spent on training and kit for all involved to enjoy it for more of the other 350 days a year.

Quote:
Quality build is clearly desired and good residuals also factor in ones decision making process,
I don't think Brig have been around in the UK long enough to really understand how they hold their value. We might just about have had a clue about now, but covid has done weird things to the market. If the boats are in demand still then the big factors affecting price 2nd hand will be condition (some wear better than others, but how you treat it will also be a factor) and availability.

Quote:
Problem I have with say Ribcraft/XS is they really are so basic with no frills at all, Cobra are now silly money IMO, Rib-eye are Marmite I’m not entirely sure why (as in factual logical argument) then I popped into Wolf Rock and I thought I’d pop a post up
Pretty certain ribcraft will stick anything to it you are prepared to pay for. They did some fancy "Leisure" models, as did Humber (not that I'm saying the two are comparable). My gut feel is they haven't sold as well. If Rib-eye are marmite, Brig are Peanut Butter. Essentially people will mostly hear opinions that reinforce their own bias so its a fruitless argument. You certainly shouldn't eliminate Ribeye from your discussions because someone else doesn't like them.

Quote:
You have a very 1960's view of being a family (man).
Old 27 August 2021, 10:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I

You have a very 1960's view of being a family (man).
I think in the 60s you just left them at home and went out with the mistress or if you did have to drag the family along they just did what they were told. . Arguably, it's a bit 2021 to consider the wishes and desires of the other people in the boat.
Old 27 August 2021, 17:46   #30

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
Dont think PD is being passive aggressive?

Saw the price of a Brig 6.7 on their website though and pretty sure you can get into a decent UK built boat of similar length for that
Please list the UK manufacturers you are thinking of here
Old 27 August 2021, 19:59   #31

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm not!
Human or unique?

I can't comment on the former, but Mr Wilk is very definitely unique (luckily for the rest of us)
Old 27 August 2021, 22:05   #32

RIBase
Quote:
Please list the UK manufacturers you are thinking of here

Have a chat with them you might be surprised (it might be a very long while for delivery though)
Old 28 August 2021, 07:50   #33

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Brigs have many good features that boats like Ribcrafts and Humbers don't, but I know which
I'd prefer to out in if things did get a bit hairy. Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

What "good" ones have you in mind?....
Especislly those that you can not order from a custom builder...sun decks...cushions ect and "liesure" type livery are pretty easily sorted by choice of model and customising choices.. without compromising overall build quality....with the better British makers.

I am 100% with you (and others) on the handling and Sea-keeping choice when it kicks up..and personally much prefer a Rough weather performance oriented builder/manufacturer
founded on good proven design...tested manufacturing process and best available materials (which you can then tailor to your family needs...useage and preferences) rather than a few shiney bells and whistles and cosmetics to snag the unwary and inexperienced ....on what MAY or can be intrinsicly an inferior build.

The Pro's....Military ...Hire sector...and S.A.R usually often know thier stuff

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 07:49   #34

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Just spent a very busy weekend (again) out in the Highfield Patrol 600. With the large rear seat, padded front deck (for use when at rest) and the twin jockeys we found her a great platform for the event marshal work, the run from Torquay down to Salcombe and back and the wave jumping in the massive over falls of Start Point.

I was surprised how well the rear seat holds and supports when bouncing, thought I'd get thrown all over the place but it was comfy with little movement, even when airbourne with the rest of the boat.

All ribs have good and bad points, understanding YOUR requirements, what YOU want the boat to do and how YOU intend to use it will dictate the boat and set up you're after.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 17:04   #35

Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickW View Post
I agree look at my shitty basic Ribcraft [emoji108]Attachment 138589

In all seriousness if you find yourself in a lumpy sea with young kids or elderly relatives are sunpads or picnics tables or bench seats really appropriate ?

I agree that the leisure ribs for family days are great for those which like them but all boats are a compromise I wouldn’t claim mine is going to keep the sun pad brigade happy and the toilet is a bail out bucket!

But when it kicks up rough even on the average day around a headland or into a head sea glad with my choice
This isnt fair to be honest. Ive been out in my Eagle 8 in horrible conditions off North Cornwall and it handled them no bother. All the things you are taking the piss out of above are all stowed away and secured. The rib is rated to B/C and can handle way more than I can. To just slag for things that are securely stowed is a bit silly really.