Old 23 August 2021, 21:07   #1

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
Brig Eagle 6.7

Anyone got any particular views on these?
Tbh I had discounted Brig as a “leisure brand” but by coincidence popped into WolfRock in Devon a few weeks ago and was really impressed by the 6.7. Great space, sun longer in the bow that could be nice on certain days out, fold out table behind front bench again useful for those relaxing days out, neat mono tow mast, 175/200 Suzuki options. Fit and finish was top notch at least to my eyes and a lot cheaper than UK manufacturers ( unfortunately…)
Any known downsides ?.
Old 24 August 2021, 08:01   #2

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMatt View Post
Tbh I had discounted Brig as a “leisure brand” but by coincidence popped into WolfRock in Devon a few weeks ago and was really impressed by the 6.7. Great space, sun longer in the bow that could be nice on certain days out, fold out table behind front bench again useful for those relaxing days out, neat mono tow mast, 175/200 Suzuki options. Fit and finish was top notch at least to my eyes and a lot cheaper than UK manufacturers ( unfortunately…)
Any known downsides ?.
Not a huge fan myself materials manufacturing and design (IME don't) match the to UK made RIBs....(hence price)
I'd go good used UK in preference for same money ...and for long term...value retention included ...
but sounds like you're half way there!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 13:14   #3

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
I got a Brig Eagle 8 from Wolf / Rock Marine. with Suzuki 350 duo prop. Absolutely superb and no issues after 12 months use. Looks great, handles great, performance superb. Highly recommended from me.
Old 25 August 2021, 07:44   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
It all cepends on what you want to do.
There are plenty of happy Brig owners out there and I can see for beach hopping, picnics etc they may be a very good family boat. If you want to go out in inclement weather or do longer cruising, a UK marque which may less"fancy" but of a more robust build may be more suitable.
I'm sure some Brig owners will express their views.
Old 25 August 2021, 08:27   #5

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
It all cepends on what you want to do.
There are plenty of happy Brig owners out there and I can see for beach hopping, picnics etc they may be a very good family boat. If you want to go out in inclement weather or do longer cruising, a UK marque which may less"fancy" but of a more robust build may be more suitable.
I'm sure some Brig owners will express their views.
I'd disagree with this. I use my Eagle 8 on the north Cornish coast, and have been out in some very wild stuff. The boat has never missed a beat and can certainly handle more than I can. It should not be classed just as a family boat or cruiser. It's perfectly capable of handling big seas.
Old 25 August 2021, 10:31   #6

I'm not dissing Brigs at all.
From those I have seen they apppear to designed more for family leisure use than some of the UK brands which may be more utiliterian in design, have been dexigned for the seas around tne UK and have evolved from more commercial applications.
Brigs have many good features that boats like Ribcrafts and Humbers don't, but I know which I'd prefer to out in if things did get a bit hairy. Just my opinion.
Old 25 August 2021, 19:09   #7

Town: teignmouth
Boat name: Cee Gee
Make: BRIG NAVIGATOR
Engine: 100 HP SUZUKI
Hi now on my third Brig very happy with everything Except a cleat in the bow would all I would add .back up from dealer Wolf Rock the best
Watched 6.7eagle with 350 cruise in Shaldon drive on each vital and then reverse amongst swimmers stu and boats staggering skill by the helm and the over the bar thru the white caps No other rib ventured out what ever their brand.
I think the success of Brig has raised negative comments from the traditionalists who resent the huge growth of new owners and their families
Cheers
Shaldon Pete. Cee Gee
Old 25 August 2021, 20:53   #8
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHALDON PETE View Post
I think the success of Brig has raised negative comments from the traditionalists who resent the huge growth of new owners and their families
I can't agree SHALDON PETE - I think that Brig owners should get even bigger if they want and have as many crotch goblins as they can manage....

I just think that the RIBs are cheap, over glitzy dross that I wouldn't waste the contents of my bladder on.

All IMHO, natch.
Old 25 August 2021, 21:15   #9

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I can't agree SHALDON PETE - I think that Brig owners should get even bigger if they want and have as many crotch goblins as they can manage....

I just think that the RIBs are cheap, over glitzy dross that I wouldn't waste the contents of my bladder on.

All IMHO, natch.

You’ve been aching to use “Crotch Goblins” :ROFL:
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 06:20   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You’ve been aching to use “Crotch Goblins” :ROFL:
I have. I noted your approval previously and added it to my collection. Someone at work asked me what I was referring to and I had to translate it as "Bread Snappers raised on a high fat diet"
Old 26 August 2021, 09:45   #11

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
Quote:

All IMHO, natch.
So your sat on the fence regarding Brig's..........................

There's a lot of the Brig / Highfield style boats on the water in and around the Solent, I just wonder about there longevity, local to me a few have required tube repairs only a few months old
Old 26 August 2021, 10:11   #12

We were alongside one on the Solent queuing for ice creams a while back and the chap had brought it up from his pad in Salcombe. He was out with his parents and a couple of children along with the other half and a dog. The seating set up seemed ideal for a family boat where the intent was to pop to nice places for a spot of lunch. It's clearly a brand aiming at the burgeoning leisure market and not attempting to resemble a work boat or a Channel hopper.
Old 26 August 2021, 11:34   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Tbh I had discounted Brig as a “leisure brand” but by coincidence popped into WolfRock in Devon a few weeks ago and was really impressed by the 6.7. Great space, sun longer in the bow that could be nice on certain days out, fold out table behind front bench again useful for those relaxing days out, neat mono tow mast, 175/200 Suzuki options.
sounds like you are looking for a leisure brand rib... not sure why would would discount them if all the bits I've highlighted in bold are things you see as significant selling points?
Quote:
Any known downsides ?.
other than the sun lounger, fold out tables, and a single pole for a tow mast? then you are just getting on to subjective stuff like quality, longevity, fashion, marketing approach etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
There's a lot of the Brig / Highfield style boats on the water in and around the Solent, I just wonder about there longevity, local to me a few have required tube repairs only a few months old
I think you are doing highfield a disservice by lumping them in with Brig. In fairness to Brig (not something you'll hear me say often) tube repairs doesn't necessarily mean the product was defective - it could well be operator error that's causing the damage. They attract people with a wadge of cash (or good credit rating) rather than necessarily much experience.
Old 26 August 2021, 12:03   #14

RIBase
Quote:
……There's a lot of the Brig / Highfield style boats on the water in and around the Solent…..

Aye, they’re the only ones able to handle the “Solent Chop” ….
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 26 August 2021, 12:09   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
So your sat on the fence regarding Brig's..........................

There was a lad on here called Richard (office888) who repaired inflatables in the US - he reckoned the Brigs there suffered glueing issues from a few years old. He didn't rate them.

I had some personal issues with an importer previously, which I find myself disinclined to forgive. Oh, here's that link, again:

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/brig-h...tml#post654739

Old 26 August 2021, 12:30   #16

Make: Zodiac
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

I think you are doing highfield a disservice by lumping them in with Brig. In fairness to Brig (not something you'll hear me say often) tube repairs doesn't necessarily mean the product was defective - it could well be operator error that's causing the damage. They attract people with a wadge of cash (or good credit rating) rather than necessarily much experience.
Nothing to do with operator error - seams / tapes / handles requiring regluing from new, like anything - I guess products are made to a price..............
Old 26 August 2021, 16:19   #17
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
There was a lad on here called Richard (office888) who repaired inflatables in the US - he reckoned the Brigs there suffered glueing issues from a few years old. He didn't rate them.

I had some personal issues with an importer previously, which I find myself disinclined to forgive. Oh, here's that link, again:

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/brig-h...tml#post654739

Are we on the sheep in suspenders pics again?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2021, 18:37   #18

Town: Cuffley
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
sounds like you are looking for a leisure brand rib... not sure why would would discount them if all the bits I've highlighted in bold are things you see as significant selling points?

other than the sun lounger, fold out tables, and a single pole for a tow mast? then you are just getting on to subjective stuff like quality, longevity, fashion, marketing approach etc.

Plenty of feedback, some useful some not so…but thanks all.
Let me just clarify - I’m sure like many folks that peruse these forums im trying to find the Ideal blend of middle ground rib.
I have a wife/ kids that want the leisure piece, a table & sun pad is useful let’s be honest for the leisure days moored out by Old Harry rocks etc, whilst at the same time I hope to do round the Isle of Wight, longer south coast trips etc, solo maybe, so the last thing I want to be in is anything not up to lumpy seas should things turn, as they often do.
Quality build is clearly desired and good residuals also factor in ones decision making process,
Problem I have with say Ribcraft/XS is they really are so basic with no frills at all, Cobra are now silly money IMO, Rib-eye are Marmite I’m not entirely sure why (as in factual logical argument) then I popped into Wolf Rock and I thought I’d pop a post up
Old 26 August 2021, 18:54   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Plenty of feedback, some useful some not so…but thanks all.

Let me just clarify - I’m sure like many folks that peruse these forums im trying to find the Ideal blend of middle ground rib.

I have a wife/ kids that want the leisure piece, a table & sun pad is useful let’s be honest for the leisure days moored out by Old Harry rocks etc, whilst at the same time I hope to do round the Isle of Wight, longer south coast trips etc, solo maybe, so the last thing I want to be in is anything not up to lumpy seas should things turn, as they often do.

Quality build is clearly desired and good residuals also factor in ones decision making process,

Problem I have with say Ribcraft/XS is they really are so basic with no frills at all, Cobra are now silly money IMO, Rib-eye are Marmite I’m not entirely sure why (as in factual logical argument) then I popped into Wolf Rock and I thought I’d pop a post up

If you like it & it suits your needs & budget, then go for it. Not my cup of tea, but I’m more of the basic rugged kinda guy. So horses for courses.
Old 26 August 2021, 21:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
If you like it & it suits your needs & budget, then go for it. Not my cup of tea, but I’m more of the basic rugged kinda guy. So horses for courses.
I agree with PD - as per my first post. If it suits your needs - and very importantly your family's and budget- go for it. Wolf Rock have a good reputation as a dealer if something is not right. I see the attraction of Brigs with picnic tables, sun pad,bathing steps etc...for a beach hopping leisure use.
I'm sure it will do IoW safely (however you define safe weather parameters).

Like PD I'm more of the rugged person wanting a VERY seaworthy boat that I'll do distance on in maybe challenging conditions, not a mobile sunny day picnic / sunbathing / swim platform as the key elements. If that was my buying criterion I wouldn't have bought a Ribcraft

Nothing wrong with either use, so define what you want to use a the boat for and buy accordingly. Do however get a boat you will use, not one that's not used because what you buy doesnot fit your and your family's expectations / enjoyment.

I'd advise sea trialling - with your family - a few marques before parting with a lot of money.

Good luck, let us know what you decide / buy.

LT