Old 02 May 2018, 23:59   #1

Length: no boat
Hello from Sydney

Hi all,

I got directed to this forum by another Ribber on an Australian fishing forum, so he's probably lurking around here somewhere...

I'm from Sydney Australia, love freediving, surfing, and being on the water. I'm looking to buy a boat in the next year or two after I save my pennies and do my research.
I've always loved RIBs since being a surf lifesaver and performing rescues on the little 40hp tiller boats in the waves, as well as being in the Navy and hooning around on the larger 15+ people boarding party RIBs.

When the time comes, I'll be wanting a RIB that will comfortably carry about 6 people plus all freediving gear (fins, weights, freediving buoy, and dive line), and some tasty food and beverages for post-diving picnic on a nice beach somewhere. Any recommendations for length? A lot of the RIBs under 5m specify a capacity for 9 or 10 people, but I feel like that would be a super tight fit... I'd be far more comfortable with something above 5m, or is that huge for 6 divers?

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to learning as much as I can.
Old 03 May 2018, 06:05   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
You never know he may be the first to spot your post.
Old 03 May 2018, 06:16   #3

Length: no boat
Old 18 May 2018, 23:56   #4

Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
If it helps, we just got our F470 off Grays for a reasonable price...although be aware, the auction doesn’t end when the auction ends, it’s a unique site
Sirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirens View Post
If it helps, we just got our F470 off Grays for a reasonable price...although be aware, the auction doesn’t end when the auction ends, it’s a unique site
I've been looking at a few ribs in survey on grays, what do you mean by the auction doesn't end when it ends. I've noticed the auction fees for the seller and buyer are very high, looks like they make 10% on both, 20% of everything sold on grays is a tidy profit.
Old 19 May 2018, 12:33   #6

Town: Melbourne
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Well the advertised auction end time is NOT the end time, the auction ends 10mins after the last bid after the auction end time (it's called "going going gone"), so as long as someone keeps bidding it just keeps going.

So the outboards ended about 15-20 mins after the auction ended, but the boats didn't end until 25-30 mins after the auction ended even though I was the highest bidding at the end of the auction; there was even a item still going at 10pm that night even though the auction ended at 3:45pm!! The most annoying part is there's no countdown clock telling you how long in that 10 mins there is and no items start dropping off and you don't know.

In terms of the fees on Grays as well, yeah they're generous, so auction fees are Grays 18.5% plus 10% GST plus 1-2% Credit card, so whatever the price is +30%
Sirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 23:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirens View Post
Well the advertised auction end time is NOT the end time, the auction ends 10mins after the last bid after the auction end time (it's called "going going gone"), so as long as someone keeps bidding it just keeps going.

So the outboards ended about 15-20 mins after the auction ended, but the boats didn't end until 25-30 mins after the auction ended even though I was the highest bidding at the end of the auction; there was even a item still going at 10pm that night even though the auction ended at 3:45pm!! The most annoying part is there's no countdown clock telling you how long in that 10 mins there is and no items start dropping off and you don't know.

In terms of the fees on Grays as well, yeah they're generous, so auction fees are Grays 18.5% plus 10% GST plus 1-2% Credit card, so whatever the price is +30%

Thanks for the heads up on that, it really needs to be a very good price to take the risk with an auction then.