Old 17 May 2018, 11:27   #1

Town: Shipley
Make: F-Rib
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner outboard 6hp
Hi from Rob57

Hi new to Group and just in process of deciding what to buy.

Bit of background from a few (over 15 years ago) have my Dayskipper , Boat handling and also PB2. But very rusty as mainly been canoe and kayak in recent years and less of that recently.

Always been interested in nature and doing more and more wildlife photography so looking for a drier(ish) more stable platform than my sea kayak.

Looking forward to getting back out on the water more often - I am based in West Yorkshire but was born in Hampshire and still have family just outside Lymington.

My limitations at moment are lack of secure parking for boat on trailer - so will have to be SIB or folder that will go down the cellar!

Just to add a few other things (not just nature nerd) ride motorcycles and in youth used to windsurf race boards with (for then) stupid big sails
Old 17 May 2018, 11:37   #2

Town: Acharacle
Boat name: Iolar
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob57 View Post
Hi new to Group and just in process of deciding what to buy.

Bit of background from a few (over 15 years ago) have my Dayskipper , Boat handling and also PB2. But very rusty as mainly been canoe and kayak in recent years and less of that recently.

Always been interested in nature and doing more and more wildlife photography so looking for a drier(ish) more stable platform than my sea kayak.

Looking forward to getting back out on the water more often - I am based in West Yorkshire but was born in Hampshire and still have family just outside Lymington.

My limitations at moment are lack of secure parking for boat on trailer - so will have to be SIB or folder that will go down the cellar!

Just to add a few other things (not just nature nerd) ride motorcycles and in youth used to windsurf race boards with (for then) stupid big sails
Welcome Rob. I'm in West Yorks too (Bingley). I'm an expat Scot though. Storage can be a pain but there's lots of secure caravan storage places about which will take a boat. ☺
Old 17 May 2018, 12:14   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> limitations at moment are lack of secure parking for boat on trailer - so will have to be SIB or folder that will go down the cellar!

Welcome Rob... for different reasons a SIB suits us perfectly.. as does the particular model we use now.

Post a few thoughts about your use, number of folks carried etc in the Inflatable forum if you want help deciding what might suit.
Old 19 May 2018, 17:06   #4

Town: Shipley
Make: F-Rib
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mariner outboard 6hp
Some thoughts

As I said earlier interested in drier platform for photography rather than my current kayak.

At moment suspect initial outings will be quite modest - so well in shore and to be honest a chop not a lot of use for photography.

Looking for usable platform rather than performance for sake of it - but ability to counter a tide always welcome.

Main boating to date has been around Solent and Dorset coast - e.g. lulworth rather than rounding the Bill.

But because based in Yorkshire would like something in time that's ok for around Flamborough etc. Years ago under instruction in a very capable dive rib went out through Whitby outerharbour in nasty swell - not sure I would rush to do that for just fun.

At home needs to be cellar storage and can get in back of car LR Discovery 2.

Not hung up on category but ideally C rather than D would I suspect be more future proof.

Some current contenders small F-rib probably 275 as it will usually be just me (think former prop forward now somewhat aged) or at most 2 of us.

Quite keen on quietish engine (my girlfriend is not keen on anything too noisy. Soncurrentlybthinking probably Torqeedo electric with keeping eye out for 6hp four stroke for when a bit more uumpf would be good.

Trying to work out just how quiet the electrics are - not helped by you-tube vids by people who either don't know how to muffle their mikes or there is background music. I do wonder if a modern 4stroke working easy might be almost as quiet as an underpowered electric

I would welcome thoughts

Thanks Rob