Old 06 May 2020, 15:35   #1

Town: Kettering
Make: Excel Volaire
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20hp
Hello from our little family and some advice please

Good afternoon everyone in these strange times. We have two kids aged four and a half and nearly three.

We have holiday’d in Dartmouth for many years now and have had use of a small Zodiac with a little outboard for exploring the estuary and local beaches. This is no longer available to us so we are looking at buying our own, possibly something a bit bigger that we will be able to eventually be able to pull the kids on rings. Our budget is around 5k and I’ve been watching numerous ribs on the various selling sites But actually have no idea with regards to make/model or 2 or 4 stroke. I seem to be getting conflicting advice, usually from the people selling the boats.

Anyway I’m looking forward to hearing your views, oh yeah we live in Northamptonshire and had a lovely river boat on the river Nene but locks and getting nowhere quickly wasn’t for us.

Paul, Lisa and kids.
Old 06 May 2020, 15:48   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Warren View Post
Good afternoon everyone in these strange times. We have two kids aged four and a half and nearly three.

We have holiday’d in Dartmouth for many years now and have had use of a small Zodiac with a little outboard for exploring the estuary and local beaches. This is no longer available to us so we are looking at buying our own, possibly something a bit bigger that we will be able to eventually be able to pull the kids on rings. Our budget is around 5k and I’ve been watching numerous ribs on the various selling sites But actually have no idea with regards to make/model or 2 or 4 stroke. I seem to be getting conflicting advice, usually from the people selling the boats.

Anyway I’m looking forward to hearing your views, oh yeah we live in Northamptonshire and had a lovely river boat on the river Nene but locks and getting nowhere quickly wasn’t for us.

Paul, Lisa and kids.

SIB or RIB?
Trailer or carboot/van?

£5k will buy you a brand new decent size SIB with a new engine. Or it will buy you a tired RIB on a dodgy trailer. Which road do you want to go down?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2020, 16:08   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Like you we are a bit away from the sea only about 20mls west of you. And like you despite having a fair amount of river time under our belts far we prefer the sea.

As PD says the direction you want to go in is important to decide. For a decade, and for the immediate future, we are committed to a SIB that packs away where the whole kit is carried in the back of an estate car leaving the back seats free for passengers but very little personal luggage space.

This may not be practical for you or the way you want to go in which case a smallish RIB or even SIB on trailer might suit better.

Decisions... decisions!

David
Old 06 May 2020, 17:13   #4

Also it would be interesting to know what size of SIB and outboard you borrowed that you called small.
Old 06 May 2020, 17:17   #5

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
You’d get a pretty tidy ~5m rib and non ancient 2 stroke for that money.
Old 06 May 2020, 19:55   #6

Hi Dave, definitely a rib, we’ve got a ford transit custom (right up your street looking at your user name) we are used to towing a big caravan so happy to tow a rib on a trailer.
Thanks for your reply
Old 06 May 2020, 19:58   #7

Thanks for your reply David, definitely looking at a rib on a trailer. Just worried about getting ripped off as I have no idea about engines etc
Old 06 May 2020, 20:14   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Hello from our little family and some advice please

Quote:
Hi Dave, definitely a rib, we’ve got a ford transit custom (right up your street looking at your user name) we are used to towing a big caravan so happy to tow a rib on a trailer.
Thanks for your reply

If you go down the towed RIB route, with your budget (unless you are extremely lucky), you’re going to need to be handy with the spanners or have deep pockets. You will have the devil in disguise in the form of a trailer to maintain. Outboard, hull & electrics. I’m not trying to pee on you parade, but you need to know what you’re getting into. If you’ve got a couple of growing kids, you don’t want to be going smaller than 5m. At that size, you’re looking at a minimum 50-75hp outboard. A brand new outfit of this spec is going to be around £20k, this gives you an idea of what to expect for your £5k.
Good luck with your search.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2020, 20:27   #9

Appreciate your honest reply. I’m neither good with spanner’s or have deep pockets. ☹️
Old 06 May 2020, 20:40   #10

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Engine: 50 tohatsu
Very large SIB with a 40/50hp?
Old 06 May 2020, 21:04   #11

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome the forum Paul.

Dave's advice is spot on. In the world of boats you get what you pay for. If you have storage, and would be comfortable towing, then a RIB makes sense, especially if your planning future trips with your wife and children. I did it with my daughter's growing up so can recommend.

Don't discount SIBs, they are hugely versatille and pack away, and for that kind of money you could buy in at the top end of the budget.

You realise that £5k is just the start? Add in lifejackets, VHF radio (you need a licence), ropes, anchor, wet weather gear, boat insurance, etc. Like everyone else getting into boat ownership, you add to it as and when you can afford to. Heading to sea is a different ball-game, so don't skimp on anything safety related.

Most engines tend to stay with the boat, so I agree it can be a bit of a minefield. You might find the right boat, but are put off by what on can look like a dodgy or unrealiable engine. My advice is to build up your knowledge once you buy. Yes you can get it serviced annually, but routine maintenance is within the realms of most people, and it can avoid disappointment because of a intermittent electrical gremlin or dislodged fuel 'o' ring which can happen to anyone regardless of how it is maintained. Any engine, then you want to see it running, pumping water and be able to engage and disengage gear easily. Paperwork is a must on any engine and a compression test is a tried and tested way to determine its health.

Back to the search. Not sure if this is still for sale at West Wales Marine, but starts the conversation. Zodiac Pros are good boats. They use Strongan Duotex tubes (basically PVC) and have a relatively shallow V hull, so although light have a tendency to slap in the rough stuff. On the plus side, Zodiac's dealer network is good, with spares and accessories readily available, although expensive. The tube set actually comes off this boat, (uses a hull rail system) so maintenance allows you to hypothetically remove it periodically or even replace the tube set altogether. I used to have the 7-man Pro, so this is the next size up, and the engine is the right configuration. 60hp gives you plenty power for a growing family as the hull isn't too heavy, plus it's 4-stroke and relatively low-hours. Looks like the boat needs a bloody good clean. That bench seat (where the fuel tank is housed) made me reach for my nitrile gloves and a green Scotchbrite pad!

The trailer will be unbraked (under 750kg), so maintenance is usually bearing replacement, decent lightboard and renew wheels and tyres (not forgetting a spare) if tread looks worn.

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...o-9-man/306687
Old 06 May 2020, 21:08   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
You’d get a pretty tidy ~5m rib and non ancient 2 stroke for that money.
Yep I think you would find a pretty decent 4-5m rib on a reasonable trailer for 5k & agree that at that value a 2 stroke is probably the best bet.
Old 06 May 2020, 21:22   #13

>>>Don't discount SIBs, they are hugely versatille and pack away, and for that kind of money you could buy in at the top end of the budget.

Agreed as that's the type we've had great fun with over the past 10yrs. I'd wonder if you might consider a SIB around 3.5m if a daily setup travel in car/van type or 4m if on a trailer. Our SIBs have been between 3.4m and 3.8m while our girls grew up from early teens to their 20s and they still took us great places.

Such a SIB outfit with outboard and often trailer too can be had in great condition... sometimes almost new... for £3k-£4k leaving loads in hand for the essential extras.

Have a look at this thread of our 2016 holiday in the West of Scotland... you can get some great places in a SIB.

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/an-aer...6-a-73370.html
Old 06 May 2020, 21:57   #14

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Engine: yam 30 2t
It sounds like a sib, that you used to have access too, and that is what your missing.

The other consideration will be storage, when youre not using it. Being in the middle of England, it seems unlikely that you will be heading to the sea too often??....

Also, with a sib, you can still take your caravan.

My 3.75m avon rib, with a 30 hp 2t yamaha, in good order, with trailer, only cost me £1200.00....just add water ( and new wheels/ hubs for the trailer)..... i think i got a good deal, but £5k would buy you a whole lot more, if you're patient, and not too impulsive

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtyUUia8T36oPVQX9
Old 07 May 2020, 10:30   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I grew from a 3.83 sib to a 4.1m rib to a 4.7 rib and now a 5.5m. The main reason to grow, was that the kids did.

Having room, especially when running around the coast is key, no one likes going out and being uncomfy. If the planned use is for day trips, toy towing, picnics and fishing then having enough room for 4, kit and food is key.

By growing the boats it meant only a smallish outlay each time, as part exchange is possible, all bar the first rib were dealer purchased, but if I ha dteh time again I'd have saved a bit more initially and gone to the 5.5. It seems to be a size that does everything ok, even with 4 on.

Good luck with teh search, I like dealers or known peole to buy from, as you say, theer are a lot of scams and cons out there. People buying new often have trade ins - and they've worked for me

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2020, 10:33   #16

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my 1st post.

The SIB I had access to in Dartmouth was about 4m and it had a 10hp engine. I think I've got my heart set on a rib, towing it and storage at home isn't a problem.

Theres the following rib for sale on facebook marketplace

Yam 430R RIB
15ft
GRP hull
Yamaha 4 stroke 40hp, annually serviced
Lowrancr GPS and fish finder
Newly replaced auto bilge pump
Indespension trailer with winch and strap

Advertised at £3,800

Any advice on this would be much appreciated, Paul
Old 07 May 2020, 11:02   #17

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:

The SIB I had access to in Dartmouth was about 4m and it had a 10hp engine. I think I've got my heart set on a rib, towing it and storage at home isn't a problem.

Yam 430R RIB
15ft
GRP hull

Advertised at £3,800

I see you are in kettering ,there is a very knowledgable man on such things much closer than you think ,go and have a chat with Laurence at xs ribs in welwyn garden , you wont leave with your heart full of warm thoughts but you will leave alot wiser ,he is a good guy .
Old 07 May 2020, 11:23   #18

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Engine: yam 30 2t
Quote:

Yam 430R RIB
15ft
GRP hull

Advertised at £3,800

That looks like an ok deal,....but it depends a lot on the condition of the boat, trailer, and particularly, the expensive outboard.

I dont think it will be dynamically quick, with 4up, but the fuel consumption of the four stroke will make it much more bearable.
Old 07 May 2020, 22:44   #19

Town: Big Bay, Awhitu
Make: Zodiac 3.8M. Mk2
Engine: 25N Yamaha
Giday, Calum,
Check out this thread of my boat.
https://www.rib.net/forum/f16/my-zod...2-c-83236.html
I got the boat when it was 3 years old off TradeMe, NZ's eBay for approx. $1250.U.S.
Everything cost double here in NZ so I thought I got a great deal.
The boat had 20 hours on it and had been stored in a garage in its bags.
I had the 25N Yamaha short shaft from a previous boat.
In TradeMe a 25 Yamaha or similar goes for $2500 +/- 500 Kiwi or $1500US.
Certainly in your budget.
We had guests next door from Manchester and I took out 2 big English blokes, one wife, and 1 12year old gal for a buzz on the harbour and a great day it was!
750 kg. of peeps including me plus fuel.
Perfect for the Transit.
Happy Hunting!
Old 08 May 2020, 02:24   #20

Town: Fakenham
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: 75hp 2 stroke mercur
I picked up a 5.4m rib with a 2004 60hp 2stroke on it, sat on a good condition roller coaster trailer for £1500 last year.

Only things I’ve spent money on are things I wanted to change, not things that needed repairing. Don’t let your budget put you off, deals are out there. I’m a family of 4 (kids are 10 & 5). We have ample room for us all and I tow them everywhere on the ring and they are learning kneeboarding too.