Old 08 May 2020, 07:59   #21

Town: Kettering
Make: Excel Volaire
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20hp
Thanks for your reply, I can't see pictures of the boat for sale, so I've emailed them asking for more details.

Paul
Old 08 May 2020, 08:24   #22

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
don't rush in to your first purchase . because I can tell you from first hand experience what ever you buy will wet your appetite and you will start looking at bigger better outfits with dark thoughts of upgrading. you will get a decent rib for your budget . my friend bought a cracking 5 metre Humber with 60hp mercury on here for £5500 . I bought a fantastic little sr4 on here for £3500. good buys will come along if your patient
Old 08 May 2020, 08:33   #23

“Dark thoughts of upgrading” Ha ha, that’s brilliant but probably very true.
I was hoping I might be able to get a bargain while we are in lockdown but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I have wanted my own little boat for a few years so it’s not just an impulse buy.

If you do see anything you think suitable anywhere please let me know.

Paul
Old 08 May 2020, 11:02   #24

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
How about this best of both worlds in some ways [emoji106] https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264714278437
Old 08 May 2020, 11:26   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Warren View Post
“Dark thoughts of upgrading” Ha ha, that’s brilliant but probably very true.
I was hoping I might be able to get a bargain while we are in lockdown but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I have wanted my own little boat for a few years so it’s not just an impulse buy.

If you do see anything you think suitable anywhere please let me know.

Paul
I'd be a little surprised if there aren't some deals to be done once lockdown is eased. For example, even if I wanted to sell my boat I can't physically get to it to take pictures, never mind meet some random with a wadge of cash. There will inevitably be people with boats who can no longer afford them (and I dare say some who are no longer here to enjoy them), and some who simply can't face the idea of paying another year's storage, insurance, servicing for something that may not get on the water much. Some of those things will be less apparent at the 5m/£5k end of the market, but if deals appear on bigger boats smaller owners will upgrade if they can afford it.

FWIF Paul, with two younguns you really need to think about how you are going to sit in/on the boat. It may be that a sib with its more space efficient open floor is actually better until they are big enough to sit on/hold on properly on a rib - you'll find the bounce/acceleration is rather different upgrading from 10HP.
Old 08 May 2020, 13:09   #26

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
I'm not so sure about the bargains after lockdown plenty people have benefited from the lockdown too!
Regarding size of boat I wouldnt be too fixated on big is better we used to take our older 3 out when at a similar age to yours in a 3.8m single seat centre console rib with a 30hp outboard & had great fun & lived to tell the tail. At that age planning epic long range journeys isnt a wise move, they get fed up too quick. Our arrangements for 2 kids and 2 adults were 1 child in front of driver on the centre console & other child either sat on the tube with other parent or sat on a tackle box/cooler type seat but always held by the adult.

You wont be wanting to go out in shit conditions or you'll put them off for life, whilst plenty folk will say our methods are dangerous we all lived to tell the tail & all 3 of the older kids 23, 20 & 17 yo still love boats & will all happily come out with their 2 younger brothers aged 4 & 2. We still have the little 3.8 rib which everyone loves but also a couple of larger boats but the whole family still love the little 3.8 from their childhood days
Old 08 May 2020, 16:30   #27

I’ve had my eye on this, but really not to sure what to think of it. I’ve watched a few videos of them on YouTube and I’m not too sure about all the folding etc. Also they don’t make them anymore so was slightly concerned about getting spares for it should I need anything....
Old 08 May 2020, 17:16   #28

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>I’ve had my eye on this...

Do you mean the Frib/Winboat linked by Neil in post #24?

If so, and no disrespect to Neil linking it as an idea...

The console is a total waste of space in a 3.75m (more boys toy than family boat) and if you are happy to trail a boat then no need for one that folds.

I wonder if for the next few years an alloy hull 4m-ish small RIB with a tiller steer 20hp all on a trailer might suit?

As Poly and Beamishken say a smaller boat might be more fun with your family the age it is.
Old 08 May 2020, 17:32   #29

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
I agree about the console shocking idea but it comes off easily it seems. The f-rib is still made and has a solid following on here. If you go to you tube there is a load of info there. For what you want though if you are happy to tow then no but for a boat in a bag [emoji106]
Old 08 May 2020, 18:00   #30

Sorry to be critical of that setup in a forensic way but that outfit may not be ideal. They had problems with water getting between the floors in that twin skin model and also I reckon that Tohatsu is the old carb model which in elec start power trim form is a right beast to lift if regarded as a non-trailed outfit.
Old 08 May 2020, 19:22   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>I’ve had my eye on this...

Do you mean the Frib/Winboat linked by Neil in post #24?

If so, and no disrespect to Neil linking it as an idea...

The console is a total waste of space in a 3.75m (more boys toy than family boat) and if you are happy to trail a boat then no need for one that folds.

I wonder if for the next few years an alloy hull 4m-ish small RIB with a tiller steer 20hp all on a trailer might suit?

As Poly and Beamishken say a smaller boat might be more fun with your family the age it is.
Hi, yes the winboat. I just feel there wouldn’t be enough in it for the four of us and all the luggage we need for a day out. I’m still in touch with the guy selling the boat I mentioned earlier. He’s sending me receipts etc for the last service he had done at the end of last year.
Are there any questions I should be asking him?

Thanks again.
Old 08 May 2020, 19:32   #32

This is the boat I’ve got my eye on, any help/advice appreciated.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5243419C-A3A0-46E5-8ACB-4C683D84CA85.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	133008   Click image for larger version

Name:	53F41F1A-3C85-4C40-A9B1-E2968AC5C1E9.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	133009   Click image for larger version

Name:	550A1D00-0F0C-4FD9-A181-01318D084576.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	133010   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C498DCA-BB40-4365-AF56-7C5A7398D226.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	133011   Click image for larger version

Name:	98AB802F-B769-426C-9452-31DDC9024FD1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	133012  

Old 08 May 2020, 20:00   #33

Quote:
This is the boat I’ve got my eye on, any help/advice appreciated.

Paul
I dont think you'd go far wrong with that, a far better buy than the Frib mentioned. My only concern would be it looks like its been kept in the water so may be a tad grubby underneath & slapped up with antifoul which is an awful job to remove. & older 4 strokes can suffer internal corrosion so a good critical eye on condition would be wise.
With a little negotiation pushing the price down to 3.5k ish or maybe less I think it would do the job for you & you'd get most of your money back in a few years when you upgrade.
My only other slight concern would be I always insist on a decent sea trail which will be difficult just now.
Old 08 May 2020, 20:14   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I dont think you'd go far wrong with that, a far better buy than the Frib mentioned. My only concern would be it looks like its been kept in the water so may be a tad grubby underneath & slapped up with antifoul which is an awful job to remove. & older 4 strokes can suffer internal corrosion so a good critical eye on condition would be wise.
With a little negotiation pushing the price down to 3.5k ish or maybe less I think it would do the job for you & you'd get most of your money back in a few years when you upgrade.
My only other slight concern would be I always insist on a decent sea trail which will be difficult just now.
Thanks for your advice. Yeah I’ve no idea about engines so I would just have to risk it I suppose. Sea trial probably won’t happen either at the moment. Should I ask him to send me a video of the engine running?
Old 08 May 2020, 21:53   #35

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. Yeah I’ve no idea about engines so I would just have to risk it I suppose. Sea trial probably won’t happen either at the moment. Should I ask him to send me a video of the engine running?
Hmm 2 things spring to mind firstly the add reads kept in garage and trailer launched but the boat definitely looks anti fouled even the motor skeg is anti fouled so hes not being 100% honest. Id also check carefully for uv damage to the tubes and fittings I'm assuming they are pvc tubes? Check for brown stains & slightly sticky feel to rubbing strip & fittings.
Not being able to sea trial prevents you from checking for running problems or overheating under load.
If I was thinking of going ahead with the purchase I'd be starting with a low offer to keep some money in the bank in case of any problems. Spend some time chatting with the owner to get a feel for him see how hes loved the boat & cared for it
Old 08 May 2020, 22:39   #36

Would agree re antifoul (or a lower part repaint?) and the fact the hull is a bit grubby. usually a garage kept boat would be hosed down after each trip and put away clean. Front blue part of tube looks faded too.

Mind you this seller likely will have only owned it for a small part of its 19 year life so it could have been on a mooring or kept outdoors with the previous owner.

Where would you seat the wife and kids with that arrangement?
Old 08 May 2020, 23:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Would agree re antifoul (or a lower part repaint?) and the fact the hull is a bit grubby. usually a garage kept boat would be hosed down after each trip and put away clean. Front blue part of tube looks faded too.

Mind you this seller likely will have only owned it for a small part of its 19 year life so it could have been on a mooring or kept outdoors with the previous owner.

Where would you seat the wife and kids with that arrangement?
I must have missed the year of manufacture didnt realise it was so old?
Old 09 May 2020, 07:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I must have missed the year of manufacture didnt realise it was so old?
Thanks again for all your help and advice. This is the reply regarding the seating arrangement:

“ Ok. The back seat can seat 2.5. There is also a large box which doubles up as a seat which can be connected in front of the cock pit +/- seating on the anchor locker is quite safe”

He also said that the boat is definable kept in his garage and launched when needed. He said that there is antifoul but it would need redoing if the boat was going to be kept in water (which it wouldn’t be).

Maybe a stupid question but what is for, and is it a problem that it’s already on the boat?

Paul
Old 09 May 2020, 08:10   #39

Town: edinburgh
Boat name: So Tender
Make: avon
Engine: yam 30 2t
Anti fouling paint is used to reduce weed / barnacle growth, which accrues over a season, if the boat is left afloat.

It will add a little friction, and end up looking a little tatty over time, as the paint erodes.

Boats which are left afloat, typically require new anti fouling paint every year.
Old 09 May 2020, 08:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum B View Post
Anti fouling paint is used to reduce weed / barnacle growth, which accrues over a season, if the boat is left afloat.

It will add a little friction, and end up looking a little tatty over time, as the paint erodes.

Boats which are left afloat, typically require new anti fouling paint every year.
Ah ok, yes that makes sense. So if I was keeping it in a garage it would be best to take it off?