Old 17 June 2021, 17:55   #21

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Another great day up here in the frozen north with light winds, zero chop and a lazy 1 to 2ft rolling swell, so more boating. [emoji106]

Realise you guys are interested in how many horses can we bolt onto the Elling, but gone totally opposite today with a how fast will it go with me tiny Mariner 3.5 [emoji51]

A breeze to haul through the dunes and trundle down beach (tide out!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	137778

Pan flat inside the reefs so time to unleash the power of the mighty Mariner. Full throttle gets it (slowly) onto the plane, with a solid 11 knots max. and lots of noise. Throttle back to mid point and mucho quieter but amazingly still planing at around 8 knots.

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	137779

Well impressed so far with this boat and reckon it’s gonna be ideal for our use.

Name:	IMG_3584.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	137780
Old 17 June 2021, 17:59   #22

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Thanks for the report, thats really working well on just 3.5hp, impressive.
Old 17 June 2021, 18:11   #23

Make: Elling kB 350
I had my last days boating yesterday. Went out on a very calm sea and came back on a lot of chop. Frightened the life out of me but the missus enjoyed it. I wish I was as brave as her. This morning here in Polperro was raining and quite windy so just set my mind to taking the boat out of harbour at low tide. Went down to the harbour and the sun came out and ended as a glorious day. Although no boating today I’ve impressed myself again with a deflate and pack up. Got it into the bag no problem at all. I think I packed it better that when it was new even in front of an audience again. I’m now looking forward to a couple of weeks time when I’ll be back down again and hopefully the weather will be just as good. I think I’m as pleased as you are Chipko with your Elling. I just wish I was as brave as you in trying out a bit of speed.
Old 17 June 2021, 18:25   #24

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Keep the reports coming Chipko, 11knts is incredible with 3.5hp I can only just nudge 17knts with a 15hp.

Wonder what it would be like with your 20hp efi

Think if I had a lighter OB I'd be tempted to put an order in now for next year!
Old 18 June 2021, 09:08   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yes that's some hp vs performance balance. Pretty close to what we achieved with an 8hp on the Aerotec which shows just how efficient the Elling hull is.
Old 18 June 2021, 09:46   #26

Town: Sussex
Boat name: K430SL
Make: Elling
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 5hp 2T
it's why I plumped for 5hp on mine (different hull but just as efficient). I nearly went 3.5hp but with the 5 I'm on plane quickly and to 14kn+ 2-up (well more like 1.5 up really)

I have choice internal or external tank, it's 20kg dry and sips fuel.

Mind, I do keep an eye out for unicorn 9.8s though of course!
Old 18 June 2021, 10:22   #27

Town: Up Northish
Boat name: Korky
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke
What wheels are you using on the back Chip?
Old 18 June 2021, 10:28   #28

I like what you have done here for launching!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3567.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	137811  
Old 18 June 2021, 12:58   #29

Town: Sussex
Boat name: K430SL
Make: Elling
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 5hp 2T
Indeed, it's not a trailer, so show us the hitch/drawbar thing!
Old 18 June 2021, 13:00   #30

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Had this about a month now and only just got the bugger wet…doh!

Despite reading other thread on mega thick tarps/pvc sheet/carpets/flooring etc. threw caution to the wind and inflated on our very thin, very old, very small cheapo tarp off cut.

Attachment 137739

Decent conditions up north today with zilch swell and a stiff onshore breeze…fairly flat at the beach inside the reefs and a rather evil little 1 to 2 foot short pitch chop a bit further out…ideal for a first test run.

Attachment 137737

Only running initially with a little Chinese Orca 8hp whilst waiting to source a ‘holy grail’ 9.8 Tohatsu…not holding my breath for this year. Anyways the little Orca is able to pop it onto the plane reasonably quickly and power on to a solid 14 knots one up…bouncing off limiter at 5600 revs with stock 7.5.x 8” prop. Hardly any ventilation sitting on an 8mm hdpe spacer even in chop. Definitely needs and can handle more power.

Attachment 137738

Fairly impressed on initial run, and all as anticipated tbh. At 3600mm long with a 1700mm beam and mahoosive 500mm dia. toobs feels surefooted, fairly dry, nimble, and capable of handling moderate swell and chop. Being essentially a cat/tunnel hull it tracks well, grips well and rides flat in tight turns. Quality wise all seems ok and welded main seams a plus. Not a fisherman so the plethora or Borika mounts a bit superfluous for our needs, but all good for a few cleats etc.

Bought as a lightweight boat able to handball across site, through dunes and down beach, but large enough to have fun in various sea states, then ticking the boxes thus far. Will be be even better with a decent motor. [emoji3]

Beadnell [emoji106][emoji106] did you hand launch it off the beach? How much do they charge these days?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 18:49   #31

Yet another Elling KB350 thread

In answer to Jasierock/Richd.

Transom wheels are some Russian fleaBay jobbies….cantilever style off our previous T38 but mega strong. Quality design large robust brackets a Seamax style knock off. Large wheels to reduce drag in soft sand.

Name:	IMG_3591.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	137812

DIY trolley and dolly knocked up as a lightweight solution to our traditional heavy galv. launch trolley, initially made for the tiny Aqua Mariner cat but extended/modded for the Elling. Simple timber T-trolley clips over launch wheel axles taking the strain off ripping the bow handle off whilst hand balling up and over soft sand dunes.

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	137813

Name:	IMG_3593.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	137814

PD….Yep, Beadnell Bay. Handball through site, over dunes and beach.

Tractor launch £30, hand launch £10. Sadly only doing weekends this year and tractor broken more days than not….piss poor service to be honest.

Main reason for us getting a lightweight rig to handball through dunes as sadly the rib’s not getting much use.

PS: If anyone rocks up to the public car park with a sib, just carry through pedestrian access and assemble on beach, or assemble in car park and drag over dunes. Either way pay nowt (Car parking fees excluded).
Old 21 June 2021, 09:07   #32

Really impreesed with the simplicity of the launch set up Chip, thanks very much for taking the the time to post the reply and photos!
Old 22 July 2021, 10:37   #33

Put a good few more hours water time on our rig, now powered by a lightweight 9.8 motor, and have to say still impressed with the Elling. I think this size motor will be the sweet spot for us, with plenty of useable power and still light enough to handball solo fully rigged up and down beach and dunes.

Solo pops instantly up onto the plane and tops out at 19knots with motor nudging 6000rpm and giving a cruising speed of 12/13knots at a much more relaxed 4500rpm. Even two up (140 kilos) will top 18knots, although takes slightly longer to get fully planing.

Not all about speed though. Personally think Elling are missing a trick marketing this with an emphasis on fishing. Yes, a great fishing platform with flat deck deck, stable at rest and a plethora of Borika base fittings for fishing accessories, but these are Cats and huge fun.

Nice and stable just pootling around with its big tubes and a dry ride, open it up though and it’s a hooligan! Wind on the revs it pops quickly up onto the plane. Runs best trimmed to allow bows to ride slightly high, riding on rear third of tubes, the air cushion can be really worked if you keep the power on to seriously smooth out the ride in chop. Definitely a better, and faster, ride head to wind/waves. In a following sea/downwind, then slightly prone to a little bow steering now and again, just to keep you on your toes, and harder to get that air cushion working for you. Tracks and corners flat and has tenacious grip in tight turns, so well you need to hang on. Also good fun playing in the surf zone (moderate waves) but perhaps not quite as versatile as the true cats with their open bows and transoms. The small ‘speed tube’ style central keel does a good job limiting cat ventilation issues and we only suffer minor ventilation in some conditions even running motor trimmed well out. Unfortunately I think the central keel also contributes to transferring some shock to the floor at low planing speeds in choppy conditions.

A few negatives. Transom could/should be beefier to take bigger/heavier motors, which the hull is more than capable of. Personally, could do with less Borika mounts and more internal grab handles for ‘enthusiastic’ use, and a few lashing rings on the floor would be useful. Full length under tube keel reinforcing strips would also be nice for beaching etc.

If we were using for long trips, loaded, in bigger seas then probably not as comfy or feel quite as sure footed as say the T38’s or Aerotec’s which also have the ability to run bigger 15/20 horse motors. Realistically, the mono hull is a more versatile craft in my book.

As you can probably tell, very pleased with this little boat and well able to handle all conditions we’ve been out in thus far. We were originally considering importing a TrueKit Discovery catamaran but glad we took a punt on this instead. Bleedin great little ‘point and squirt’ lightweight rig for beach launching, bay hopping, playing in the surf, hooning around or just chilling.

Also good for fishing, or so I’ve been told. [emoji3]
Old 22 July 2021, 11:01   #34

Great write up and very similar thoughts to ours if you accept we were judging from slightly different uses. We were just 1kt under your 2-up speed but I bet we are heavier.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:25   #35

Enjoyable write up. Wouldn't be the first time a fishing boat is wasted on fishermen.

It sounds like a great toy for mucking about in.
Old 22 July 2021, 12:04   #36

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Great write up Chipko.

If the transom could take my 15hp I'd seriously consider getting one.
Old 22 July 2021, 12:54   #37

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
42kg max I think.
Old 22 July 2021, 17:17   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Fully appreciate you starting a new thread with no mention of yellow transom wheels.... damn I just have.

Hey Mr F, picked up these bad boys today!

Seem to have been out of stock at Screwfix for ages. Reckon all you sib boys have been buying up stock…national shortage of barrow wheels thanks to us lot!

At least I can now be considered a serious sibber sporting a pair of ‘yellow perils’ on me boat. [emoji3]

Name:	IMG_3696.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	138237
Old 22 July 2021, 17:24   #39

Oh don't... you're all tempting me with these shiny new ones. Mine were from Homebase and been outside for years seemingly with wet inside the packaging and the wheels are impregnated with a green mould stain at a chemical level. Twice now I've only just swerved replacing with new.
Old 22 July 2021, 17:28   #40

Ha Ha! Transom wheel envy.

We’ve definitely all lost the plot now. No hope for us at all.