Old 15 June 2021, 18:56   #1

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Yet another Elling KB350 thread

Had this about a month now and only just got the bugger wet…doh!

Despite reading other thread on mega thick tarps/pvc sheet/carpets/flooring etc. threw caution to the wind and inflated on our very thin, very old, very small cheapo tarp off cut.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	137739

Decent conditions up north today with zilch swell and a stiff onshore breeze…fairly flat at the beach inside the reefs and a rather evil little 1 to 2 foot short pitch chop a bit further out…ideal for a first test run.

Name:	IMG_3557.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	137737

Only running initially with a little Chinese Orca 8hp whilst waiting to source a ‘holy grail’ 9.8 Tohatsu…not holding my breath for this year. Anyways the little Orca is able to pop it onto the plane reasonably quickly and power on to a solid 14 knots one up…bouncing off limiter at 5600 revs with stock 7.5.x 8” prop. Hardly any ventilation sitting on an 8mm hdpe spacer even in chop. Definitely needs and can handle more power.

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	137738

Fairly impressed on initial run, and all as anticipated tbh. At 3600mm long with a 1700mm beam and mahoosive 500mm dia. toobs feels surefooted, fairly dry, nimble, and capable of handling moderate swell and chop. Being essentially a cat/tunnel hull it tracks well, grips well and rides flat in tight turns. Quality wise all seems ok and welded main seams a plus. Not a fisherman so the plethora or Borika mounts a bit superfluous for our needs, but all good for a few cleats etc.

Bought as a lightweight boat able to handball across site, through dunes and down beach, but large enough to have fun in various sea states, then ticking the boxes thus far. Will be be even better with a decent motor. [emoji3]
Old 15 June 2021, 20:28   #2

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Looks good so far, as you say be interesting to see what it's like with a decent OB.
In that 3rd pic, I know it's a sharp turn but the stern appears to be lowish in the water. I know it's hard to say, but how do you think it would be solo with a 15hp 4 stroke hanging on the back, long tiller extension needed?
Old 15 June 2021, 20:31   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Had this about a month now and only just got the bugger wet…doh!

A similar time here for our Ellng and it may have got river wet but that's just not the same. Been a weird period for us lately inc some self inflicted time lost sorting the day van... but we do have a date where tide, weather and family factors will coincide soon for the all important sea trials. At least I don't have to run in the OB like Tel1965 so a few mins warming and we can be off. We normally have a dog with us but this new pup hasn't been to sea yet and I need to push the Elling a bit to know that it's a keeper so hoping for some slightly iffy seas and will have to get him a dogsitter.

That pic 2 shows it running so nicely.

Fully appreciate you starting a new thread with no mention of yellow transom wheels.... damn I just have.

Do you have a 10/15hp deep in the shed to try?
Old 15 June 2021, 20:32   #4

Make: Elling kB 350
Looking great chipko. You’ve put me to shame with your boating skills. Hopefully one day I’ll be as good as you.
Old 15 June 2021, 21:05   #5

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
>>>>Had this about a month now and only just got the bugger wet…doh!

I am almost ashamed to say i've had mine almost one year and all its got is rained on so far.
Glad to see another in the sea though, so 14 knots is what I would expect from my 8hp Suzuki then eh. Must try the Yamaha soon.
Old 15 June 2021, 22:06   #6

Steve….plenty of buoyancy in those massive toob ends to support a modern 15 horse efi motor. Just hooning around in pic…temporarily dropped off the plane exiting a doughnut and wave masking stern.

Fenlander….alas no 10/15hp motors lurking in the shed….Got an efi 20 though [emoji3]

Oldman…reckon your 8hp Suzi should better 14 knots….but need to get your boat wet first!
Old 16 June 2021, 07:33   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: K430SL
Make: Elling
Length: 4m +
Engine: Merc 5hp 2T
Nice pics/write up. You think it worth putting a 9" pitch on, or leave as is for running with more weight on board?

(Similar issue on my 430, 1-up hitting 5400+ in a recommended range of 4500-5500 on 7.8x8)
Old 16 June 2021, 08:04   #8

Thanks. Even though popping of limiter solo think we’ll leave as is, and planing two up seems to be a very marginal affair.
Old 16 June 2021, 08:31   #9

Town: Up Northish
Boat name: Korky
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Had this about a month now and only just got the bugger wet…doh!

Despite reading other thread on mega thick tarps/pvc sheet/carpets/flooring etc. threw caution to the wind and inflated on our very thin, very old, very small cheapo tarp off cut.

Attachment 137739

Decent conditions up north today with zilch swell and a stiff onshore breeze…fairly flat at the beach inside the reefs and a rather evil little 1 to 2 foot short pitch chop a bit further out…ideal for a first test run.

Attachment 137737

Only running initially with a little Chinese Orca 8hp whilst waiting to source a ‘holy grail’ 9.8 Tohatsu…not holding my breath for this year. Anyways the little Orca is able to pop it onto the plane reasonably quickly and power on to a solid 14 knots one up…bouncing off limiter at 5600 revs with stock 7.5.x 8” prop. Hardly any ventilation sitting on an 8mm hdpe spacer even in chop. Definitely needs and can handle more power.

Attachment 137738

Fairly impressed on initial run, and all as anticipated tbh. At 3600mm long with a 1700mm beam and mahoosive 500mm dia. toobs feels surefooted, fairly dry, nimble, and capable of handling moderate swell and chop. Being essentially a cat/tunnel hull it tracks well, grips well and rides flat in tight turns. Quality wise all seems ok and welded main seams a plus. Not a fisherman so the plethora or Borika mounts a bit superfluous for our needs, but all good for a few cleats etc.

Bought as a lightweight boat able to handball across site, through dunes and down beach, but large enough to have fun in various sea states, then ticking the boxes thus far. Will be be even better with a decent motor. [emoji3]
Is that Beadnell Chip? My sister and Brother in Law have a house at High Newton and my Pal has a caravan on the Beadnell site. Lovely part of the world but you have to watch out for the black horses that pound the beach!

My Elling showed 25mph with the Tohatsu 9.8 on smooth water 3 up but I will check that again to verify.

Looking at the turn photo, it just looks like the wave is in the way, I am certain the massive tubes would more than cope with a 15hp 4 stroke - my back wouldn't though!
Old 16 June 2021, 09:37   #10

Yes, based at sunny Beadnell during the season.
Stopped off at Low Newton whilst out in the rib last Saturday for a quick liquid snack at The Ship Inn. Lovely day out on the water.

Name:	IMG_3460.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	137750

Good speeds there with the 9.8 [emoji106]
Fairly underwhelmed with performance from the Orca 8. Starts, runs well and hasn’t missed a beat but, as half expected, not sure it develops much more power than the 6hp it’s based on. [emoji3]
Old 16 June 2021, 10:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasierock View Post
My Elling showed 25mph with the Tohatsu 9.8 on smooth water 3 up but I will check that again to verify.

Looking at the turn photo, it just looks like the wave is in the way, I am certain the massive tubes would more than cope with a 15hp 4 stroke - my back wouldn't though!
My back just about manages!!

Based upon what your saying, do you think it would be overpowered with a 15hp 1 up?
and one more question, it looks like it will be great fun and I know it's early days, but do you think it would make a good multi day trip SIB?
Old 16 June 2021, 10:45   #12

Personally I don’t think it would feel overpowered with a 15, it has a big boat feel, stable and not twitchy in the slightest. It’s rated to 15 anyways although only to a 42kg motor. The current efi Tohatsu is only 1 kilo more at 43kg so eminently doable with serious fun factor!

Having said all that I reckon the sweet spot for these boats will be the 10hp family and going bigger is somewhat missing the point. Whether this is a super light old school two stroke or one of the current crop of twin pot four strokes at circa 37/38kg. Unless you’ve a heavy payload, all the guy’s with 10 horses seem to get great performance from this combo.

We will at some point, just for a laugh and on a good day, be bolting on our 47kg Merc 20 and see what happens. [emoji51]
Old 16 June 2021, 11:08   #13

Ahh didn't realise it's rated at 42kg, it would mean a new OB as my Merc 15 is 47kg. We'll have to see and be very nice to Mrs T

What about multi day trip/camping? Think it would be suitable?
Old 16 June 2021, 11:30   #14

If you can get all your kit in, then don’t see why not. More deck space than say a T38, and judging by our limited time testing, potentially not that far short in the seakeeping department….and I’d rate the T38 as up there with the best (Aerotec 380 excluded) when it gets a bit lumpy.

PS: For this scenario the extra torqs of a 15 may be well appreciated, and safer, pushing through varied sea states fully loaded.
Old 16 June 2021, 11:32   #15

I don't want to take too much away from Chipko's own thread direction but if you look at this river shot of mine from the other thread its nice rectangular interior (certainly compared to the Aerotec) and flat floor would lend itself well to kit stowage. Would need a bow canopy to stop stuff leaping out but with a bit of time that could be made for far less than the expensive but excellent Elling one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Elling Goddy lock.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	137759  
Old 16 June 2021, 11:36   #16

Do you think an extra 5kg hanging on the transom will make much of a difference, apart from invalidating insurance!
Old 16 June 2021, 11:40   #17

Thanks for that pic David, certainly looks spacious enough.
Old 16 June 2021, 11:41   #18

The Elling's transom isn't the strongest say compared to the Aerotec and other premium Zodiacs models so I'd have a go for a bit of fun... but for its permanent motor not so sure.
Old 16 June 2021, 12:57   #19

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Do you think an extra 5kg hanging on the transom will make much of a difference, apart from invalidating insurance!
You'd have to check with your specific insurer and other more experienced guys on here will correct me, but I don't think it's a hard and fast 'law'. You don't want to give a pathetic insurer a get-out-of-jail card however, and that's not the kind of company I'd want to give my business to in the first place.

I've seen dealers regularly sell 80hp engines on boats rated for 75 and it's perfectly acceptable (<5% increase).

Same must apply for weight. Obviously it becomes more critical on smaller outfits but 42 -> 47kg is still only 10% weight over and that's the weight of the 9.9hp Suzy. Those big fat sponsons would handle it fine I'm sure.
15 -> 20hp might be pushing it regarding power lol.

Old 16 June 2021, 13:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
The Elling's transom isn't the strongest say compared to the Aerotec and other premium Zodiacs models so I'd have a go for a bit of fun... but for its permanent motor not so sure.

Plus one with that.[emoji106]

Always annoying when transoms are rated lower than the max. hp motor weights. Although it’s a Russian boat where new lightweight two strokes still legally available??

Agree transom does look to be the weak link and would be wary running over the weight limit long term. One plus with the current Tohatsu/Merc/Mariner 15/20’s is they have an excellent damping system isolating motor from transom. Ours visibly floats around, even when just winding on the revs, so fairly confident it’s limiting live shock loads on transom. Think the damping is more for isolating vibration but will still help live loading whilst pushing on in the chop.

The Tohatsu, lightest of the three, and only 1kg over budget would be worth the risk in my book.