Old 23 July 2021, 07:26   #41

Town: Up Northish
Boat name: Korky
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke
Re - Launching or lack of it at Beadnell

My pal has Speedboat up there and he is really hacked off about the launch facility. Seems the guy spent about £200 on a tractor that is always broken (surprise!) and spends all week wagon driving instead of launching boats as agreed with the council. Somebody else needs to take this on and do a proper job of it.
Old 23 July 2021, 08:13   #42

Town: Northwich
Make: Elling
Engine: Orca 9.8 4 stroke
RIBase
Great write up Chipko.

Said it all about the Elling for me its a +++
Old 22 August 2021, 16:38   #43

Town: St Albans
Boat name: Red Rum
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Thanks for this thread. I used to have an Aerotec with 20HP Suzuki but decided to part ways a while back for a number of reasons.

Looking to get back into boating again next year and exploring my options. One of my biggest gripes was the weight of lugging the Aerotec and outboard to/from the car. I am now looking for something lighter and the Elling looks like a good option along with a smaller outboard engine.

It seems that the overall recommendation is 10HP outboard. I was eyeing up a Selva Piranha to save on weight but can’t find much info or support on this particular outboard. Never had much experience with 2 stroke engines……. any recommendations to cut down on weight would be greatly appreciated?
Old 22 August 2021, 18:38   #44

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Have you read this thread from post #28 on where I work on making the Aerotec easier to manage after the Elling didn't quite suit us?

https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/one-pe...tec-83658.html

To be fair to the Aerotec weight wise the standard way to pack the Elling is to take the floor out and then it's a very easy bundle to move... however take the floor out of the Aerotec and the boat itself only weighs half a kg more than the Elling... so that's how I'm handling it now.

The Elling goes well for a smaller outboard but I found with our weight plus kit the difference was only 2kts less... 15 compared to 17... with the same 9.8 on the Aerotec. I think with lighter loads this Elling advantage would be a fair bit larger.

The Elling was probably the easiest to carry, set up and move on transom wheels SIB I've used... reminded me of the Zodiac Fastroller 360 in this respect which was also super easy.

I wish someone would try the Selva Piranha... I have a slight fascination for them.... you could be that man!
Old 22 August 2021, 19:40   #45

Hey Fenlander, not sure if you remember me? I used to launch where you suggested on Mersea Island. Thanks for the feedback on your experience with the Aerotec vs Elling.

I’m going to do some thorough homework before making any purchases. I’m planning on visiting the Southampton boatshow as Selva will be there along with Boatworld so I can see the Elling in the flesh. I’ll keep you posted
Old 22 August 2021, 22:49   #46

I remember I think back from the days when Stig was about that area too with his Honwave outfit. What I don't remember is what happened for your Aerotec outfit to get sold.

It's frustrating re the Selva because the concept has legs but we never seem to get anyone to take that step and feed back positives and negatives.
Old 23 August 2021, 07:50   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I remember I think back from the days when Stig was about that area too with his Honwave outfit. What I don't remember is what happened for your Aerotec outfit to get sold.

It's frustrating re the Selva because the concept has legs but we never seem to get anyone to take that step and feed back positives and negatives.
They make a rod for their own back to be honest. Almost all the journalist articles on Selva reek of bribery. It's clear the journo has 'won' a jet ski coincidentally at the exact same time they published words given to them by someone at Selva.

From what I understand, Yamaha took a big slice of the struggling Selva business and they now make Yamaha outboards in Italy? Italian engineering is good, iItalian manufacturing is good, Yamaha is good, being cheaper than a Yamaha is good. But trying to making out it's some kind of ancient, family business that is doing it all itself and endlessly instructing journos to mention Ferrari just makes them look like Southern Italian bandits and therefor to be swerved at all costs.

Drill down to the actual truth and there is a lot to like and a lot to trust. Unlike Parsun which is a great design cobbled by inconsistent Chinese build quality, the Selva product should be just as good as the Yamaha product but the press coverage makes you want to avoid at all costs. They're undercutting the product they are based on so sane consumers just want the truth not some fantasy garbage as if flogging Swarovski phone cases to trustafarians.
Old 23 August 2021, 08:38   #48

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Take it you're not in the market for one then Tim
Old 23 August 2021, 10:15   #49

I don't know... I'm sensing a grudging admiration for the brand??
Old 23 August 2021, 11:53   #50

I know little about outboards but I'm am puzzled by this 9.9hp "One pot" Selva.

Reading articles, it would appear that it has been around for at least 12 years if not longer.

If it's a good concept, why haven't Selva expanded the idea to encompass their 15hp & 20hp outboards. Surely if they are good OB, they would corner a large section of the lightweight leisure market.
Also, why haven't Yamaha, who reportedly have a stake in Selva, not got a lightweight one pot OB in their range. If they thought it was good, wouldnt they have rebadged it as a Yamaha.
The concept can't have a copyright, so why haven't other manufacturers followed the lightweight one pot route?
I'm not saying the Selva 9.9 is a bad or good outboard, as I have no experience of them, but the idea doesn't seem to have taken off at all.
Old 23 August 2021, 12:10   #51

I suppose it's like other things in sibbing that have puzzled me...

If folks were happy to pay well over £2k for a new Aerotec when a T38 was £1100 why didn't Honwave or anyone else make an Aerotec clone to sell around £1500.

Likewise when the Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke was current and so highly sought after for its light weight why did all the other makers only have their 9.9hp 2-stroke motors based on a 15hp and so weighing 10kg more.

Life sometimes is a mystery...
Old 23 August 2021, 12:11   #52

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We looked at the Selva 20hp when we were in the market for such a beast. We saw them at the boat show where they were on the same stand as the Yamaha. They are identical engines (Selva & Yam 20hp that is) even down to all the internals on the Selva saying “Yamaha”, think Skoda & Audi. The only issue was the cost & weight. The Selva/Yam was around 56kg iirc & both cost considerably more than the Suzuki. I suppose you were paying for the additional 12kg[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2021, 07:09   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Take it you're not in the market for one then Tim

I remember looking into them very briefly and the articles that cropped up were just terrible fawning advertorials which made you think the product must be terrible yet if they are just Yamaha's for less then they should be a cracking deal.

Incidentally, I'm currently away until Wed and the pipe is on my desk awaiting a run to the PO. Tim.
Old 24 August 2021, 07:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmMorris View Post
I remember looking into them very briefly and the articles that cropped up were just terrible fawning advertorials which made you think the product must be terrible yet if they are just Yamaha's for less then they should be a cracking deal.

Incidentally, I'm currently away until Wed and the pipe is on my desk awaiting a run to the PO. Tim.
Cheers Tim
Old 24 August 2021, 09:22   #55

Town: Chichester
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I suppose it's like other things in sibbing that have puzzled me...

If folks were happy to pay well over £2k for a new Aerotec when a T38 was £1100 why didn't Honwave or anyone else make an Aerotec clone to sell around £1500.

Likewise when the Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke was current and so highly sought after for its light weight why did all the other makers only have their 9.9hp 2-stroke motors based on a 15hp and so weighing 10kg more.

Life sometimes is a mystery...
Agreed Fenlander. I can only assume that the market that really prizes portability in small outboards is not big enough for them to cater to?

I know very little about engines, or whether or not the tech is really transferable, but it is interesting that there are a fair few single pot 4 strokes on current motobikes with significantly bigger displacements and HP than the current max of 6 (?) available on outboards from mainstream manufacturers - and this includes bikes from Honda and Suzuki. So perhaps they could do it if they really wanted to? It would be great to see a 30kg one pot 4 stroke outboard, I think I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 24 August 2021, 09:37   #56

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
It would be great to see a 30kg one pot 4 stroke outboard, I think I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Shame it’s half a kilo too lardy or you’d have to dig your cheque book out.

https://www.selvamarine.com/en/products/outboards/details/piranha-9-9/
Old 24 August 2021, 09:39   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post

https://www.selvamarine.com/en/products/outboards/details/piranha-9-9/
You beat me to it!
Old 24 August 2021, 10:18   #58

Town: Chichester
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post

https://www.selvamarine.com/en/produ...s/piranha-9-9/
Good point !

It has a smaller displacement than my 6hp Tohatsu - I'll let others try it first I think.

Edit: I take that back, the Tohatsu is 123cc not sure why I thought it was bigger.

I suppose if the Selva proves to be a reliable unit and sells like hot cakes, others will take notice and might do something similar. If it doesn't sell, perhaps they will take notice of that as well?
Old 24 August 2021, 10:58   #59

Their advertising, promotion by dealers and UK market penetration is hardly visible... not sure what would lift them above the parapet.

Ahh I know... offering me one on free long term test... if it's any good word would spread.
Old 29 August 2021, 18:44   #60

Well I somehow inherited a used Elling 350 this weekend. It was a deal too good to refuse the Elling just seems like a great compromise between size and weight and the positive feedback encouraged me to make the purchase.

Re outboard, I’m not sure here. Do I go for a Tohatsu 9.8 or consider the Selva Piranha or look at other options to save in weight? The Parsun 9.8 is reasonably priced and lightweight but the feedback or not good. I’ve noticed a couple of UK users who have shared their experiences of the Piranha on the Selva Facebook page but who knows if they are legitimate