Old 10 November 2023, 09:59   #1

Make: Sun Selections CO.
Length: 3m +
Scratches in PVC

How does one go about repairing something like this?
Is there anything that I could fill it up with, or does it need patching?

I guess it's hard to see but a little bit of the fabric is visible at a few points, maybe 0.5mm or less..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300X.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	144190   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306X.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	144191   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311X.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	144192  
Old 10 November 2023, 12:49   #2

Town: Hull
Make: Elling KB 350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I use Aquasure for pin holes and scuffs like that. Don't go brushing it on though. I use a cocktail stick and apply it in small amounts. You don't need much.

Here a trick for storing it. Put it in the freezer after you have used it and it will last forever. Just defrost it before you use it next.
Old 10 November 2023, 15:02   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayskull View Post
I use Aquasure for pin holes and scuffs like that. Don't go brushing it on though. I use a cocktail stick and apply it in small amounts. You don't need much.

Here a trick for storing it. Put it in the freezer after you have used it and it will last forever. Just defrost it before you use it next.
^ 100% what he said!

Quick clean off with thinners first - MEK if you can get some - keep both away from seams.
Old 10 November 2023, 19:45   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.e-promarine.com/en/liqui...ttresses-pools
I’ve used similar to this I got a similar colour for mine look at polymarine too
Old 10 November 2023, 19:52   #5

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Making a few assumptions, I'd say that the grey pic is an airdeck and the black pics are "carbon black" tubes.

For the airdeck, as aesthetics aren't as important, I would use Aquasure. As willk has already said clean with Mek or acetone. Good advice to store in the freezer. Aquasure is really good for repairing small holes. I've repaired a 2mm hole in a very awkward place, around 2 years ago and it's still holding solid.

Are you sure the scratches are down to the fabric? From the pics it looks more like pvc strands than fabric. If that is the case, I'd be tempted to use black plastic wax (car bumper/plastic wax polish) to seal and disguise the scratch.
Old 10 November 2023, 21:40   #6

Thanks, I'll try to find something equivalent to the products mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Making a few assumptions, I'd say that the grey pic is an airdeck and the black pics are "carbon black" tubes.
It's just different parts of the tubes.

Name:	IMG_0257x.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	144194

Quote:
Are you sure the scratches are down to the fabric? From the pics it looks more like pvc strands than fabric.
To me, it looks like the fabric as the color is very different. However I don't really know how thick the outer PVC layer is, the "opening" is not very deep.
Here's a close up:

Name:	IMG_0300-2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	144193

Is it possible for air to leak through a damage like this, even if it isn't a hole right through?
I have a slight leak (or several) somewhere that I haven't really been able to pinpoint yet.
Old 10 November 2023, 22:13   #7

Nice looking small rib, what is it?

IMO I doubt any air would leak through a scratch in the surface of the pvc, I think your air loss will be from somewhere else.

Aquasure would undoubtedly seal the scratches but it wouldn't look particularly pleasing on the eye if it's in an obvious position, especially after it's been subjected to UV when it does aquire a yellow tinge.

If the scratches aren't in an obvious/visable place, then maybe Aquasure is the way to go.
Old 11 November 2023, 06:59   #8

Just to clarify, it was Stormsure I used (probably the same stuff)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-C...26512388&psc=1
Old 11 November 2023, 10:22   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by udihow View Post
Thanks, I'll try to find something equivalent to the products mentioned.

It's just different parts of the tubes.

Attachment 144194

To me, it looks like the fabric as the color is very different. However I don't really know how thick the outer PVC layer is, the "opening" is not very deep.
Here's a close up:

Attachment 144193

Is it possible for air to leak through a damage like this, even if it isn't a hole right through?
I have a slight leak (or several) somewhere that I haven't really been able to pinpoint yet.
Not sure of availability in Sweden but I had a few relatively deep scratches on my Volaire and used the same Stormsure as Steve mentioned as a precaution, although mine wasn’t leaking air at the time.

I always meant to put a wear patch over the areas under the sib, but don’t have access to a large enough inside space to work, so never got round to it yet (banned from trying to inflate it inside the house)

Unless it’s a deeper pin prick whole at the end of the scratch, I would be surprised that’s where your leak is from. ( I also carry a small tube of ss on the sib if away from home just in case)

Best bet would be to blow the sib up and go around the whole thing with a washing up liquid/water mix.

Check the inflation and pressure relief valves, as it’s very common for these valves to leak, hence many brands come with a valve tightening key.

As well as the tubes and floor, also check all the seams, which could be a bigger pain to repair if that’s the problem.

Just had a browse on Stormsure Amazons page and see they do coloured glue and tapes as well.
Old 11 November 2023, 10:35   #10

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
Quote:
Originally Posted by udihow View Post

Attachment 144193
If you can see the fibres below like that, it could well be the source of your leak.

Test it with soapy water. You could probably repair it with SealFlex but obviously that won't help you with the aesthetic side of things.

I'd look into the possibility of disguising it with accessories like D-Rings, textured wear patches, bow roller, grab handles etc etc. Basically anything that avoids just slapping on an ugly patch. Even just rubbing the scratches with acetone will help a little on the lighter damaged areas.
Old 14 November 2023, 07:39   #11

Quote:
Nice looking small rib, what is it?
This is all I know

Name:	IMG_0255X.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	144219

Quote:
Aquasure would undoubtedly seal the scratches but it wouldn't look particularly pleasing on the eye if it's in an obvious position, especially after it's been subjected to UV when it does aquire a yellow tinge.
It is in quite obvious positions but I don't think I have any choice.

It's not really a place where D-rings or handles would make sense either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Unless it’s a deeper pin prick whole at the end of the scratch, I would be surprised that’s where your leak is from. ( I also carry a small tube of ss on the sib if away from home just in case)

Best bet would be to blow the sib up and go around the whole thing with a washing up liquid/water mix.

Check the inflation and pressure relief valves, as it’s very common for these valves to leak, hence many brands come with a valve tightening key.
I tightened the valves about 2 weeks ago, but I could not observe any difference.

I planned to spray soap/water mix on it as soon as I had fixed the parts where the fabric is visible (didn't want to have water getting in where it shouldn't be)

However, I may have found the leak (old welded patch), but my glue has gotten unusable..