Old 14 October 2023, 07:33   #1

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Kolibri SeaCat KM-380

Annoyingly the UK distributors of Ukrainian Kolibri brand sibs, Wolf Rock, don’t include the companies new catamaran models. Eager to try one of these, sourced one through an eBay seller highlighted by Easedalenovice of this parish. Thanks for the heads up.

Smooth transaction through eBay to be fair and boat arrived, all as promised by seller, in just over a fortnight. Initially a bit concerned main hull arrived unboxed, but well packaged and protected, and once opened appeared brand new and never inflated with all usual manufacturers foam protectors/plastic linings etc. etc. Warranty card all stamped and dated, presumably by the Ukrainian supplying dealer, but realistically accept no warranty in practical terms on this purchase. For under a thousand pounds delivered, happy to take the risk to be honest. If new to this sib lark then probably wouldn’t recommend sourcing via this route.

More detailed observations to follow, but for now a few pics of unboxing and initial inflate. Everything expected seemed included for a boat at this price point to be fair. If nitpicking then surprised no valve tool included in repair canister…picky or what!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	144006

Name:	IMG_7164.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	144007

Name:	IMG_7193.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	144008

Name:	IMG_7201.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	144009

Name:	IMG_7200.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	144010
Old 14 October 2023, 11:58   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Looks like your take a bit of a chance seller has provided all the bits.

Smart looking. Will this be your ultimate Cat? Only sea trials will tell.
Old 14 October 2023, 12:45   #3

Thanks Mr F. Apart from not being boxed, everything looks initially to be ok so pleased with price, comms and service from the eBay guy.

Doubt this will be the ultimate ‘cat’ but nevertheless keen to give it a whirl and should be fun testing/modding to get the best performance out of it.
Old 14 October 2023, 16:18   #4

Town: Colchester
That looks very good indeed. I stumbled upon these just after I bought the Boatworld one. I notice this has a closed transom. In my testing of the boatworld one with me and her indoors on board I was very pleased I had the open transom when we spooned up a wave . Mind you anything on the floor of the boat was almost washed out the back.

Will be very interesting to see how it performs against the boatworld one.

I looks like the transom tilts back which is good. Exciting times

Should also be better as it is the 3.8 i assume from the name

Are you going to try this this year or wait till the spring as I think these machines are kind of wet boats for swimming trunks or a wet suit.

I see they also do a 4.2........... If you get a good result on this I can see you will be spending my money again lol
Old 14 October 2023, 17:37   #5

Thanks Easedalenovice, your bleedin’ fault I’ve spent even more of me hard earned on this! Effing good find though, so well done there matey.
Sadly arrived a tad late in the season to drag this up north for some serious surf testing but hopefully get a few river runs in over winter just to see if it floats. I’ll be keeping a weather eye for any Sunseeker river cruiser captains giving it some welly, and have a play in their wake!
Not too fussed about the solid transom as will be drilling some big holes in it for scuppers to rapidly shed any water.
Wetsuits/dry suits keeps us going all year round.[emoji106]
Old 14 October 2023, 17:51   #6

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Looking forward to the sea trials, and comparisons.
Old 14 October 2023, 21:23   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
First pic looks like part of a drug bust looking forward to this fancied a takacat once over simple set up
Old 14 October 2023, 21:45   #8

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
I've been looking at these lately. Can you share the link for where you bought it? I could be tempted by the 4.2M one...
Old 14 October 2023, 21:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
I've been looking at these lately. Can you share the link for where you bought it? I could be tempted by the 4.2M one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385867470...mis&media=COPY
Old 15 October 2023, 04:30   #10

The address on the eBay site is only 15 miles from where I live
Old 15 October 2023, 04:38   #11

That looks like one of the smaller ones and it runs well by the look of the video below

Old 15 October 2023, 08:24   #12

Kolibri SeaCat KM-380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easedalenovice View Post
The address on the eBay site is only 15 miles from where I live

His listings on eBay show a couple of different locations, Bury St Edmunds and Northolt, whilst our package was dispatched from High Wycombe.
Hopefully it sounds more dodgy than it actually is, and in fairness to the guy he ordered the boat in at his risk and didn’t request payment until he physically had the boat ready to dispatch.
Old 15 October 2023, 08:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
His listings on eBay show a couple of different locations, Bury St Edmunds and Northolt, whilst our package was dispatched from High Wycombe.
Hopefully it sounds more dodgy than it actually is, and in fairness to the guy he ordered the boat in at his risk and didn’t request payment until he physically had the boat ready to dispatch.
So if I were to buy one an interesting test would be to order it and tell him I will pay on collection as I live very close. Might even negotiate say £30 off for the deliver charge.

Other interesting thing is the ebay listing seems not to allow you to select the size you want only the one for £850
Old 15 October 2023, 08:43   #14

In fact this is what it says

Collection:
Collection in person only from Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom. See detailsfor collection
Returns:
No returns accepted. See details- for more information about returns
Old 15 October 2023, 09:21   #15

Hey if you actually want one, contact the seller. I’ll not be pre-empting his terms on here.

To clarify, there is no facility on his ad to choose a size at the moment. We eBay messaged the seller for the price of a 380 and a 420. He came back with prices plus delivery costs if required, we eBay messaged back our interest in the 380 and he sent a link to a new dedicated listing for a 380 at the agreed price and delivery costs. We put that in our basket, he ordered the boat in from Ukraine and advised us not to pay until he physically had the boat. Ten days later he messaged the boat has arrived, we completed the checkout, paid and the boat arrived 4 days later.

His posting also states accepting offers, so feel free to wheel and deal. We just agreed to his price which seamed reasonable to me.
Old 15 October 2023, 10:58   #16

Quote:
Hey if you actually want one, contact the seller. I’ll not be pre-empting his terms on here.

To clarify, there is no facility on his ad to choose a size at the moment. We eBay messaged the seller for the price of a 380 and a 420. He came back with prices plus delivery costs if required, we eBay messaged back our interest in the 380 and he sent a link to a new dedicated listing for a 380 at the agreed price and delivery costs. We put that in our basket, he ordered the boat in from Ukraine and advised us not to pay until he physically had the boat. Ten days later he messaged the boat has arrived, we completed the checkout, paid and the boat arrived 4 days later.

His posting also states accepting offers, so feel free to wheel and deal. We just agreed to his price which seamed reasonable to me.
All seems very interesting and reasonable........... But do I need another Boat
Old 15 October 2023, 12:24   #17

Quote:

Thanks for the info, chipko. I'll drop him a message and see. 👍
Old 15 October 2023, 20:56   #18

Kolibri SeaCat KM-380

Okay so the dodgy Kolibri has been inflated for over 48hrs now with no discernible pressure loss so perhaps time for some initial thoughts.

After Easedalenovice highlighted these on eBay, a quick trawl on the Kolibri website got me thinking on paper these sound ok and perhaps worth a punt.

Probably worth mentioning at this point observations are based upon this being a sub £1000 purchase.

Perhaps also relevant we’ve owned many sibs over the years including premium Zodiacs and Bombards, mid range Zooms, Honwaves, and an Elling (Ukrainian) plus a super budget Wetline and Aqua Marina.
Have also helmed a few Takacats, extensively tested the Boatworld KATsport 330 earlier this summer and our current Elling KB350 sib is essentially a catamaran.

So on paper the Kolibri ticked most of the boxes to potentially perform well…available in the longer 3.8 and 4.2 lengths, large 49cm dia. tubes, decent 175cm beam, rated up to 20hp,
all welded main seams/baffles, prv’s, 4 + 1 air chambers, full length keel protection, a good few grab handles etc. etc. I also quite liked the grey/orange livery, (apart from a black floor!) vain or what.

Good points:

All the above plus;
It actually arrived and was all as ordered!
Price.
Everything appears well glued/welded and structurally sound.
Feels like 1100g/m2 density pvc as spec. and the claimed 51 kg weight would also support this.
Decent quality valise and zipped accessories bag.
High pressure stirrup and low pressure foot pumps included.
Bravo inflation/deflation valves.
Kolibri branded in house transom mount mouldings, lifeline mounts, quick release oar mounts and D-rings etc.
Inflation pressures embossed into pvc around all inflation valves/prv’s.
Kolibri branded alloy transom inner motor plate on slotted fixings allowing for small vertical adjustment and large top lip projection to minimise motor loss.

Not such good points;

Didn’t arrived boxed…this will always bug me!
Virtually no chance of manufacturers 3yr warranty if going down a similar purchase route.
Average quality of assembly and finish in line with price point…this in no way infers any compromise of structural integrity.
Ply transom not overly engineered at 20mm thick.
No indicated max. motor weight on transom….lardy 20 horse motors beware.
Woefully inadequate generic sliding transom drain (easily sorted).
Raised deck only 100mm above u/s sponsons (gut feel closer to 150mm would give a better/sportier ride). This may be a biggy.
No fixing point on alloy transom pad for motor safety leash.
No grab handles on inside of cones for lifting…easily added though.
PVC prone to lightened stretch marks where folded…probably not helped by dark to mid grey colour…structural integrity not compromised but aesthetically displeasing nonetheless.
A few minor crinkles and creases in tubes which, in all fairness, will probably disappear in warmer weather and when fully inflated to working pressures.
Plastic not metal rings to D-ring fittings.
No valve tool in repair kit or pressure gauge.

General quality and weight of materials, fittings and construction perhaps not up there with the Zodiacs and Bombards of yesteryear but certainly on par with many current Chinese made big name brands. I’d also hazard it’s not far behind our Ukrainian Elling KB350 in terms of quality of materials/fittings, and nothing’s fallen off or failed after three seasons (around 300hrs) spirited use on the North Sea.

Test fitted our 9.8hp motor today and gut feel it won’t be far off as is just sitting straight on the transom. Only a sea trial will confirm but AV plate about 20 mm above virtual keel line (u/s toobs) is a good starting point. Of course the risk of excessive ventilation and splashing issues may need to be addressed in common with most cats straight out the box. Hope to run this boat with 9.8, 15 and 20 horse motors.

Might be a good few weeks before we get this little beggar wet, and then sadly only on the river. Mildly optimistic at the moment, it may of course handle like dog and we’ll hate it, but in the meantime here are a few more pics.

Name:	IMG_7266.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	144018

Name:	IMG_7277.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	144019

Name:	IMG_7280.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	144020

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	144021

Name:	IMG_7239.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	144022
Old 15 October 2023, 21:36   #19

A few more pics!

Name:	IMG_7232.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	144023

Name:	IMG_7294.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	144024

Name:	IMG_7281.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	144025

Name:	IMG_7301.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	144026

Name:	IMG_7272.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	144027
Old 15 October 2023, 21:50   #20

I'm really liking the colour scheme. It kinda reminds me of 90's era ActionMan.