Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 June 2022, 01:18   #1
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Rat chewed boat, repairable?

My Saturn FB300 was being stored in a shed with other equipment. Mice or rats never went in there before but I just took the boat out and there are multiple large chew holes. Only thing they chewed in the entire building. There are holes in the floor as well as the tubes. The smallest holes are a few inches in diameter and there is a big hole that is about 3 inches wide and 9íinches long.

Is there a limit on size of holes that can be safely repaired? Is my boat repairable or should I start looking for a new one?

Also any advice on how to compress photo so itís small enough to meet the size limit here would be helpful
__________________

__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 19:15   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
My Saturn FB300 was being stored in a shed with other equipment. Mice or rats never went in there before but I just took the boat out and there are multiple large chew holes. Only thing they chewed in the entire building. There are holes in the floor as well as the tubes. The smallest holes are a few inches in diameter and there is a big hole that is about 3 inches wide and 9íinches long.

Is there a limit on size of holes that can be safely repaired? Is my boat repairable or should I start looking for a new one?

Also any advice on how to compress photo so itís small enough to meet the size limit here would be helpful
It would be easier to retake the photos on your phone with a smaller resolution.

3" diameter holes and 9 " x 3" holes are very big. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to repair them, but at that size I think you would need to patch them on the inside as well as the outside.

How many holes are there in total? Are the holes near seams, joins etc?
__________________

__________________
Steve509926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 20:53   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Nautica/ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115/ Honda 100
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
My Saturn FB300 was being stored in a shed with other equipment. Mice or rats never went in there before but I just took the boat out and there are multiple large chew holes. Only thing they chewed in the entire building. There are holes in the floor as well as the tubes. The smallest holes are a few inches in diameter and there is a big hole that is about 3 inches wide and 9íinches long.

Is there a limit on size of holes that can be safely repaired? Is my boat repairable or should I start looking for a new one?

Also any advice on how to compress photo so itís small enough to meet the size limit here would be helpful
Sounds like a good reason to treat yourself !!
maybe an insurance claim
__________________
Orwell boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 22:56   #4
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
There are at least 7 holes. Two in the floor and five in the tubes on both sides.
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 23:23   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
I can't figure out the attachments. I uploaded two photos but it won't let me choose to post them just keeps opening the pop up window to upload more photos. It's showing my two photos are under the limit.

I made my profile photo one of the photos....

Also made this album https://www.rib.net/forum/members/28845-albums1190.htmlhttps://www.rib.net/forum/members/28845-albums1190.html
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 05:47   #6
Member
 
Highland Haggis's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 573
Hi mullet I would just clam insurance or replace with a new one they are not to badly priced for the size and set traps for next year
__________________
Highland Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 05:49   #7
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
Hi mullet I would just clam insurance or replace with a new one they are not to badly priced for the size and set traps for next year
Thanks! I appreciate the response
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 05:50   #8
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
It would be easier to retake the photos on your phone with a smaller resolution.

3" diameter holes and 9 " x 3" holes are very big. I'm not saying you wouldn't be able to repair them, but at that size I think you would need to patch them on the inside as well as the outside.

How many holes are there in total? Are the holes near seams, joins etc?
Thanks Steve, I added some photos. Some holes close to the seams
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 07:50   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1,582
Just took a look at your photos! Big mice where you live!

Without doubt it's a new SIB !
__________________
Steve509926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:28   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,466
That is more than patching, more like the work of partial new tube sections. Yes of course it can be done because many SIBs are made of sheets of material glued together so looked at that way what's the difference. But I'd not want to be going to sea in a SIB repaired to such an extent.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:48   #11
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Thanks this is what I’ve been wondering. It seems repairs could be made but not sure how confident I would feel knowing there are so many large patches on the boat. Feels like a waste of lots of good material. Probably safest to just get a new one.
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:49   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Thanks this is what Iíve been wondering. It seems repairs could be made but not sure how confident I would feel knowing there are so many large patches on the boat. Feels like a waste of lots of good material. Probably safest to just get a new one.
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:38   #13
909
Spammer
 
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 281
My condolences boyo.

Shows what a few dollars in rat poison can help prevent.

Thanks for the reminder.
__________________
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:43   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
My condolences boyo.

Shows what a few dollars in rat poison can help prevent.

Thanks for the reminder.
Yep hard lesson but wonít happen again
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 12:22   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,592
You can repair it, many sibs are glued together at manufacture so a good repair will be fine. However, it depends on your skill and finances. If it's insured, and your house insurance may cover it if you've no boat specific insurance, then that would seem an obvious solution. Perhaps, you'd like the challenge of repairing it and it would be a good story every time you were asked about it! It's down to your personal situation but, yes it's perfectly possible to repair it.

That's big mouse damage! Best not meet one of them in the dark....
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 00:17   #16
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
You can repair it, many sibs are glued together at manufacture so a good repair will be fine. However, it depends on your skill and finances. If it's insured, and your house insurance may cover it if you've no boat specific insurance, then that would seem an obvious solution. Perhaps, you'd like the challenge of repairing it and it would be a good story every time you were asked about it! It's down to your personal situation but, yes it's perfectly possible to repair it.

That's big mouse damage! Best not meet one of them in the dark....
Iíve been thinking about this also. Essentially the entire boat is glued together in the same way a boat is repaired. I might get a new boat and work on repairing the chewed one in the future.


Do you have any suggestions where to source the materials needed for repairs?
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 07:46   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post

Do you have any suggestions where to source the materials needed for repairs?
There's a number of them but Polymarine is well sorted for general sales. They have a website. You'll need to know the boat's construction material, likely PVC or hypalon. There's different materials and different glueing proceedures for each of them.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 08:05   #18
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
There's a number of them but Polymarine is well sorted for general sales. They have a website. You'll need to know the boat's construction material, likely PVC or hypalon. There's different materials and different glueing proceedures for each of them.
Awesome Iíll check that out, thank you!
__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 11:01   #19
909
Spammer
 
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 281
Go to your local dealer if you have one. They'll sell you glue, and material by the square inch. Ask for a discount because you'll be spending more than the average customer.
__________________
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 22:25   #20
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Yona
Boat name: Saturn fb300
Make: Saturn
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 View Post
Go to your local dealer if you have one. They'll sell you glue, and material by the square inch. Ask for a discount because you'll be spending more than the average customer.
Unfortunately no local dealer here in Guam. Had to order from mainland US so replacement and any repair materials hard to find locally.


Good idea about the discount though, Iíll try that.
__________________

__________________
Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
repair

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.