Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
Newer SIBs vs. older Zodiacs

Click image for larger version

Name:	zod.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	144662

My only SIB experience is with the 3.8m Zodiac Futura from 2002 in the picture (not me onboard though). I really like most things about the Zodiac Futuras and Classics. I guess at one time SIB basically meant Zodiac, but there are so many newer, possibly more modern, offerings today. There's Suzumar, Honwave, Yam, Excel, Stryker, Highfield, Saturn and dozens more I can't remember right now. Most (or all) being made in China.

How would you say that the more modern SIBs compare to the older Zodiac Futuras and Classics? What do you like or dislike about them? What are the "must have features" today? Many SIBs today seem to be much more reasonably priced than the Zodiacs. I think this boat was around 5000 EUR 20 years ago! My SIB has the alu floor which is great when the boat is in the water ready to go, but it sure adds weight and some setup time to the whole thing. I wouldn't mind if the boat was a little lighter, but I'm not sure I want an air floor either. I guess both would be best.

My Futura came with the steering console and benches but I don't use them. I like to save space and complexity.

Does the newer boats have non-wooden transoms? That would help with rot in older boats. Also transom-tube attachement seems to be different now. What about fabric or floor quality? My Futura is rated for 6 persons and 40 hp which seems to be quite a bit more than most today. But since a 40 hp outboard is not portable I don't think it matters much.
Old 19 March 2024, 11:52   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Just my experience of about 10 SIBs...

The older Hypalon Zodiacs of the 70s and the later premium models like the Futura, Aerotec and Classic were better built than the current crop of mostly Chinese built SIBs like Honwave and Excel etc.

However I'm not sure the better build held many advantages for normal leisure use so the very high prices were rarely justified when you could perhaps buy two Honwaves for the price of a Zodiac.

If you take a conventional design like an alloy or wood floor with low pressure sausage keel I would say they all performed largely the same. It's only when the design was very different like the Futura or Aerotec that the differences were obvious.

Re the wooden transoms I've never seen a rotten one yet, even in 20yr old SIBs, but I think all the SIBs I've owned have been daily use inflates and kept dry stored when not in use. Perhaps it would be different if left in a dinghy rack or on the water.

Re features well they are all basically tubes, transom and a floor of your choosing so any feature beyond that you can glue on yourself. That's what I've done with my Aerotec adding a second seat, new oar holders and grab/lift handles where I want them.
Old 19 March 2024, 15:22   #3

Town: Marple
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
We've got a 2009 Zodiac bought new. lt's a wooden floor with the low pressure inflatable keel.

The boat has been used multiple times every year and is still in great condition, it's always performed well and is a great match with our Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke.

All the seams are still good and it has needed no repairs. lt's stored in the bag when not in use.

Tags
sib, zodiac