Old 22 March 2024, 20:43   #1

Town: Logan
Boat name: HMV Minnow
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4stroke
Advice on Zodiac MK2 FR

Greetings,
I'm a relative newb on the site, but ya'll helped us get into SIB's a couple years back, and now the bug has bit again!

Just bought a '03 Advice on Zodiac MK2 FR 4m. We have previously used a 10' Avon of similar age, running a 9.8 Tohatsu. Used it for easy packing in the van for offshore exploring in Baja. The new boat will replace it.

I won't pick up the boat for several weeks, and want to source a proper motor. Did these take a long (20") shaft? What was rec vs max hp?

We found the 9.8 too weak for the Avon. Wanting to plane easily with 2 adults and ~300lb of gear (on lakes and rivers). We sometimes tow a pair of sea kayaks for paddling once at a remote campsite. Motor recommendations for the MK2?

Seller reports modest delam of fabric connecting one tube to the inside of the transom. Is there a good FAQ on repairs? These boats appear to have been PVC/"Duro-something".

For $200, I'm pretty stoked to have this new addition to our fleet, and want to get it set up right. I have a spare 20hp Tohatsu, but it's a short shaft.

TIA!
RTC
Old 23 March 2024, 06:19   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Pretty sure it will be standard shaft on an 03 model. Zodiac put some of their range on steroids in later years, especially the Futura with oversized tubes and they were long shaft engines.

I’m guessing, but material will be PVC, or Strongan Duotex, basically their own fabric. Sounds familiar if fabric is detaching from transom. Easily repairable, with preparation, right ambient temperatures and the correct glue and anti-grease cleaning solvents. You can also add extra strips of PVC if any of the existing material feels susceptible or thinned out of its been repaired before.

When repairing get the boat to operating pressure, also all the old glue needs to be removed. It’s laborious, but a drill and sanding flap should make light work of that.

Good guides here. If you struggle to buy glue state-side there will be a Bostik 2-part equivalent. https://www.polymarine.com/

Check the keel tube. I will put money on it leaking at the transom end when the material is folded over and therm-bonded.
Old 23 March 2024, 20:42   #3

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
When I bought my Zodiac MKII Futura Sport GT, it had the glue failure. The tubes are thermo bonded and won't fail, but the bottom and the transom will fall off. Once some of the glue starts failing the rest isn't far behind. I would pull the transom off and the floor to reglue it. Took me about 40 hours of work, but I was fixing other stuff as I went. There is a lot more to it than that though.

My boat used a short shaft 40HP, and since we scuba dive with 3-4 divers plus tanks, less power would not allow it to plane. Any heavy motor will require a trailer. Setup on these boats is not fun and a trailer definitely makes life easier.

I have been using Stabond for glue with excellent results. It can glue both Hypalon and PVC, even together. Buy some PVC material while you are at it, as at some point you will need a patch or addition.
https://www.nrs.com/stabond-adhesive/pkjz
Old 23 March 2024, 23:29   #4

Town: Logan
Boat name: HMV Minnow
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 4stroke
Thanks, folks. Sounds like the existing 20hp Tohatsu I have will fit on it fine. We'll see how the glue work turns out.

Tags
zodiac