Old 12 May 2022, 21:24   #21

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
The cottages are just behind Castaways wine bar. They are a little closer to folks than we'd choose ideally but it looks as if the access to slip and pontoon plus interesting sibbing area would offset that.
Old 12 May 2022, 21:32   #22

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Have a great time and look forward to seeing the videos and the results from your trials.

Was thinking a second prop could be my next big purchase to have on the boat, especially because our boating will often involve being well away from people.
Old 12 May 2022, 21:47   #23

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Thanks Brian.

This is where I bought my prop from

https://ssimarine.co.uk
Old 12 May 2022, 21:52   #24

I don't stress re a spare prop so much on our muddy, silty, sandy East Anglian Coast but never holiday in Scotland without one. Slightly slower to get one delivered and more rocks up there to nibble a prop.
Old 12 May 2022, 22:10   #25

Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Thanks Brian.

This is where I bought my prop from

https://ssimarine.co.uk
Cheers Steve....will save this for later. Prices are reasonable.

Terry and Suzuki got back to me....so outboard going in to a local approved place next week for a check over and repair (hopefully under warranty depending what they find).

Then finsh run in and do a bit of testing ourselves and maybe experiment a bit with some input from you guys when the time comes....once we know our normal loads etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I don't stress re a spare prop so much on our muddy, silty, sandy East Anglian Coast but never holiday in Scotland without one. Slightly slower to get one delivered and more rocks up there to nibble a prop.
Not much experience yet , but a good bit of our boating will be from the rocky isolated shores you know well, so will be in my tool kit for sure. Be it a different size or just the same if it works for us.
Old 13 May 2022, 19:56   #26

Great day out from Mylor today, went up to Trelissick then back down the Fal, up the Restronguet Creek to Devoran (very, very shallow just past the "Old Quay" 1 hour before high tide) then back down to Pandora Inn for a late lunch, good food, great beer. It was all very quiet on the water until 4.00/5.00 pm, then I realised it's Friday!
All in all a good day.
Didn't have the inclination to test props, or do any videos, I just enjoyed the moment.
Old 14 May 2022, 06:24   #27

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
It’s a great place to spend time on the water. Enjoy it
Old 14 May 2022, 19:51   #28

Found out this morning when I turned up at the pontoon to go out on Redneck that parts of the visitor pontoon are not fully usable at very low tide! Fortunately its not a problem, I'm on holiday and in no rush to go anywhere. Hours walk a coffee and everything is good. The best place to tie up is as close to the "Visitors Tenders" sign as possible and as far away from the pontoon ramp as you can get! In the first picture Redneck is just to the right of the "Fairlight" sign.
Lesson learned this evening, tied up 2nd red sib to the left of the Visitors Tenders sign (3rd picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0219.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	140513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0221.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	140514   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0245.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	140515  
Old 14 May 2022, 23:07   #29

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Big springs for the next few days.
Old 14 May 2022, 23:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Big springs for the next few days.
I plan to explore up towards Truro, Lamorran and St Clement over the next couple of afternoons whilst I've got the chance.
Old 14 May 2022, 23:23   #31

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Have fun!
Old 17 May 2022, 22:36   #32

Not to sure what the weather has been like in the rest of the country, but its not been the best boating conditions in the South West over the past few days, rain and strong S-SW winds. However late this afternoon, just before high tide, the sun came out, the wind dropped and it was relatively calm.
It was just the kind of conditions to do the prop tests I had wanted to do since fitting the new keel board - https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/airdec...ign-87561.html.
I've not been happy with the sound of the OB since fitting the new keel board, it sounded somehow higher pitched. Top speed was good and handling was great, but something in the back of my mind just wasn't right, but I couldn't test it at the time as I didn't have a tiny tach fitted.
2 up + dog, usual load and with the prop I had on the OB before I'd fitted the new keel board, 9.25x8 (https://www.rib.net/forum/f50/prop-pitch-84693.html) RPM @ WOT is 6390/6450 rpm and top speed is 17 knots. Good top speed but well outside the RPM operating range, very different from before I'd fitted the new keel board.
Changed the prop to the OE prop that the OB came fitted with, 9.25x9. Same load, RPM @ WOT 5950/5975 and top speed 18 knots, really happy with the top speed and RPM is within range but noticeably the pitch of the OB has dropped, it now sounds like it should.
Old 17 May 2022, 22:49   #33

That all sounds good. I've never had to pitch below a 9" with an average load on a sub 4m SIB using a 15hp so sounds like you're in the right ball park now.
Old 17 May 2022, 23:03   #34

Hi David, I think redesigning the keelboard has made a big difference. I feel a lot happier with the whole set up now, not that I was particularly unhappy before.

On a separate note, I took a look at the cottages at Mylor today, they look very nice. They are close to the restaurant/bar/bistro but it is quite and reasonably private. Probably one of the shortest distances you will ever walk from a holiday cottage to pontoon without having your own private mooring.
Old 22 May 2022, 21:08   #35

It looks like tomorrow's weather isn't going to be the best for going out on Redneck, but if today was the last boating day of the holiday, what a fantastic way to finish
We set off from Mylor at 10.30 and went over to St Mawes, stopped off for a coffee (visitor's pontoon is free for 30 mins) then had a slow chug up the Percuil. We then crossed over to Pendennis Point, very choppy - wind over tide, and followed the coastline about 150 metres offshore, dodging the numerous divers and people snorkeling without markers or bouys, to the Helford River. Went up the Helford and tried to beach at the Ferry Boat Inn for lunch and a few drinks to be promptly told (shouted at!) dogs aren't allowed on the beach! Crossed over to the other side of the Helford to the Shipwrights Arms where we had a great lunch and a couple of drinks.
The journey back was really good, calm seas, no wind, lovely sunshine, straight across the bay back to Pendennis Point, round the headland and back to Mylor. Round trip about 30-35 miles, great day
Old 22 May 2022, 21:42   #36

Town: Somerset
Make: Takacat
Pleased to see you enjoyed the trip. Last time I was there, we left St. Mawes with intention of going to Helford, also in wind over tide conditions. Then the rain started , and we were forced to abandon the trip and head back into Falmouth. It Was slow and tortuous in the conditions, and we returned like a pair of drowned rats, just as the sun came out. My passenger had a humour bypass, so I decided marital harmony needed to take priority!
It’s good to see you faired better.
Old 22 May 2022, 22:42   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old seahorse View Post
Pleased to see you enjoyed the trip. Last time I was there, we left St. Mawes with intention of going to Helford, also in wind over tide conditions. Then the rain started , and we were forced to abandon the trip and head back into Falmouth. It Was slow and tortuous in the conditions, and we returned like a pair of drowned rats, just as the sun came out. My passenger had a humour bypass, so I decided marital harmony needed to take priority!
It’s good to see you faired better.
When I get round to posting a video of some of the holiday, I think you'll notice marital harmony was long gone when Diane was huddled down on the deck being bounced all over the place It's the look that does it!
Old 23 May 2022, 12:29   #38

A few times this holiday Redneck has struggled to get on the plane until all the water in the "bilge" has drained out, especially if its rained during the night. Then this morning when I was pulling Redneck up the slip I struggled like hell and had to wait until half a bath tub of water had drained away! Never experienced this problem before, however I'd normally have Redneck on a trailer not on a pontoon for 11 days!
So I was thinking about a small 12v bilge pump, a cheapy off ebay. Has anyone tried one in a SIB? Did it work OK?
Old 23 May 2022, 12:31   #39

In the same circumstances I've just gone to the slip first, pulled just out and lifted the bow a little with the plug out.
Old 23 May 2022, 19:28   #40

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
A few times this holiday Redneck has struggled to get on the plane until all the water in the "bilge" has drained out, especially if its rained during the night. Then this morning when I was pulling Redneck up the slip I struggled like hell and had to wait until half a bath tub of water had drained away! Never experienced this problem before, however I'd normally have Redneck on a trailer not on a pontoon for 11 days!
So I was thinking about a small 12v bilge pump, a cheapy off ebay. Has anyone tried one in a SIB? Did it work OK?
Worth looking at Steve https://www.foxschandlery.com/whale-...hoCeOEQAvD_BwE