Old 27 March 2019, 16:30   #1

Town: Setúbal
Boat name: RONHAS
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 6HP & 2.5HP
F-Rib (Foldable-Rib)

Hi guys,

I've found it: F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs)

It's an inflatable....but with a rigid hull. Seems pretty cool

Anyone of you have one of those? can I get some opinions on it?

Many thanks in advance
MOTS
Old 27 March 2019, 17:28   #2

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi madness ..as you say..its a pretty cool boat.

A tad expensive ... but why have a SIB in a bag in your car when you can have a RIB in a box.

This is my 2.75 meter size which I think is the perfect boat for one. I carry it folded in the car.. and on my back inflated to get it to the sea .. it goes very nicely with a 6HP. A very dry ride too for such a small boat. It slams a bit in the rough but it also handles big seas at displacement speeds better than any other 2.75m inflatable I have owned

Any drawbacks ?

Yup..just the one..its expensive compared to normal inflatables.

I know a lot of folks who have the larger sizes too as they are popular boats up my way in the UK, and they swear by them however they all seem to end up being towed on trailers as they are heavy and bulky to carry by one ..so if thinking of a larger size F Rib .. unless the folding is important to you..

Consider one of the lightweight Ali Hull Ribs like a Highfield classic 380 or Excel Virago range as they are a bit cheaper and IMO have a better bow profile for rough seas

Above Comments are only my opinion ..based on having one for three years and going round the west coast of Scotland in it during that time. I wouldn't swap it for anything else in that size but I also have a larger 4.3meter wooden floor inflatable for my remote open sea crossings to the inner Hebrides
Old 27 March 2019, 18:10   #3

Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your words. I agree fully with the drawback that you've mentioned.
However for me folding is important, my goal is not to have to deal with a trailer.

I'm thinking in the F-Rib 330 model. It's not very heavy and carrys up to 4 person.
Do you suggest which motor for it? 6HP? more? I mean 4 stroke motor, of course.

The boat is to be used in Sado river, in Portugal, between Setúbal and Tróia peninsula.

Many thanks again for your time.
Old 27 March 2019, 18:38   #4

Hi again Madness ..I think you may have picked a winner if the folding suits your needs

My brother has the 330 size so again I can comment with a good deal of practical experience of that size. Just check the size folded up and the size of your car boot to make sure it fits. My brother has a BMW ..saloon size car (Im not into cars so cant give more details) but the F Rib 330 just manages into the boot with little room to spare. A hatchback or something will easily swallow the folded boat though.

Here is a photo of it with his Daughter’s family of four to give you an idea of space. The front canopy is the F Rib canopy and its great for giving the wee ones shelter from the winds. In the photo its powered by a 6HP..which again will plane with one person but its displacement speeds with two or more.

My brother likes a bit of speed but is also a volunteer rescue boat at his caravan beside the sea so he has a 15HP as well as the 6HP to give the power to tow surf boards .. kayaks..you name it .. back to shore.

It flies with the 15HP and just him in it as you can see from clips in this video.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions ..any other questions just ask

Old 28 March 2019, 11:49   #5

Dear Gunnard,

Again many thanks for your wise and friendly words.
I'm lucky to have someone like you replying to me.

The boat is to carried on the roof bars of my car (its also a BMW) and not in the car boot because there is where I want to put the motor.
The 330 heights 42Kg and I think that 2 person (me and my mate) can put it on the roof bars. Above all, I hope it.

The 6HP motor is around 25Kg so its very portable. The 8HP has 2 cilinders e maybe would be more suitable for it, and don't know.... But heights 40kg, so is less portable...

I have to decide it later, of course.

My big problem is where to buy it. I think that in Portugal or Spain there is no dealer/vendor of this boat. Can you help me on this issue?

Many thanks again for your time.
Regards
MOTS
Old 28 March 2019, 12:36   #6

Hi again madness.. yup two people can easily lift the 330 boat.. getting it to head height might be a little bit harder. I sometimes put mine on a bicycle rack fixed to the car towbar..no high lifting then. The 330 is heavier but Im sure you can get something like a bike rack that will take the 330 size extra weight ? Save a high lift to roofbars ..just another option

When I bought mine I went through the main UK distributor as I believe they are made in St Petersburgh, Russia ..at least that is what it says on the transom plate. So they also go by the name of Winboat as well as F-Rib.

Perhaps you can find somewhere in Portugal that sells them under that brand name ?

The Uk main distributor website is here on this link . I see the have a dealer in France ..but Im sure if you contact the distributor on the website they can help you better than I can ?

Dealers | F-RIB

Re the 8HP outboard..if its the same weight as a 10HP or even the 15HP in your chosen brand of motor..(I think you may find they are similar weights at those sizes? )I think I would go for a bigger size rather than the smallest HP for the given weight .. if that makes sense.

That is why I got the 6HP ..its the biggest HP size for the single cylinder four strokes.. the 8hp is a twin cylinder hence the extra weight and I didn't want to carry that size weight across rocky shores Because you want to carry passangers .. better the largest size you can afford and also transport in the car
Old 28 March 2019, 13:14   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
this might help without the box i think some are rated at 100kg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOX ON BACK OF LANDROVER.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	128868  
Old 28 March 2019, 14:54   #8

Dear Gunard and JeffStevens

Great ideias and very big help from you both. I am indeed the luckiest guy around here.

Many thanks to you both.
MOTS
Old 31 May 2019, 12:01   #9

Town: Thornhill
Boat name: Winboat
Make: Winboat
Hey!
If you are still looking for where to buy a frib, we have a store in Toronto, where we bring fribs from Russia.
Old 31 May 2019, 12:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_js View Post
Hey!
If you are still looking for where to buy a frib, we have a store in Toronto, where we bring fribs from Russia.
Hi there,

Yeah, still looking for it but I am in Portugal, buying something from Canada should be to expensive, I think...

Anyway thanks for your message
MOTS

Tags
rib