Old 04 August 2015, 21:00   #1

Town: hull
Boat name: Jenny
Make: Bombard Areotec
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 25hp
Views on the Bombard Aerotec 380

Hi, i currently have a Honwave SIB 380 and powering that is a 2007 Mariner 25 hp engine de-restricted to a 30HP.
As far as the boats concerned i'm very disappointed with the general stability of the boat. I used to have a Quicksilver 430 rib with an aliminium floor but the boat was just too heavy for us to hand launch between a couple of us so i purchased the Honwave which was half the weight.
I tow various inflatables such as rings etc and the Honwave really struggles to get on to plane.
Would i have more luck with a bombard with it having the deep v hull when towing and does the Hull make it feel more stable when on full throttle as i can't seem to open out the Honwave with my engine as it seems too twitchy.
Thanks,
Owen.
Old 05 August 2015, 07:42   #2

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
All I can say having added an Aerotec to the fleet for our two weeks summer holiday is that it's more like a hard boat in stability and ability than any other SIB I've used. Note... not like a hard boat... just more like.

It isn't as roomy as your current or previous boat and you may or may not get on with the V-floor for use/comfort.

But the biggest issue is probably if your outboard is delivering 30hp that's a lot on a SIB under 4m unless it was carrying a heavy load to pin it in the water... most smaller/medium SIBs will feel flighty with 30hp. My Aerotec feels lively flat out one up with just a 15hp when it's windy.
Old 05 August 2015, 09:27   #3

Town: London
Boat name: Boat
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: 25hp Mercury 2stroke
Aerotec 380 views

Owen,

I would concur with Fenlander. I run an Aerotec with a 25hp Mercury with a Stainless prop, and IMHO it is the best handling SIB available, and about as close as you will get to RIB performance. Whilst I love the boat, and would highly recommend it to others, it is not without its faults. It has a 20 Deg deadrise at the transom, but a strange curved transom design, which creates to tunnels of water off the back of the boat so the tail/wash when planning is not as clean as an ally floored boat which is much flatter at the transom. Also, this results in you having to run the motor higher than the standard transom to avoid splash back when running flat out. I have a 23mm block to raise the motor.

I have not used the honwave myself but expect that the Aerotec is better as it has a much deeper v hull. This said it too is slightly one up flat out. You cannot escape the fact that a 45kg boat running at 24kts in any kind of cop is going to be flighty. The Aerotec will handle the chop better, cutting through it more, but you still have a very light boat going very fast.

As Finlander pointed out, you will either like or hate the floor in the Aerotec, the whole flat vs V type argument but this is a personal preference. One thing that I would say is that if you get the Aerotec it is definitely worth investing in the factory wheels as they make handling and launching the boats incredibly easy. I have even figured out how to store them underway so they are not a prob. I am 47 and often launch and recover my sib single handed and the wheels make this very possible. They also mean that I never have to carry the motor very far at all, making the whole launch/recovery operation so so much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower thames.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	107612  
Old 05 August 2015, 12:25   #4

Boat name: Commando C4
Make: Bombard
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP M25C3
How much does that 25hp weigh ? Can it be handled by one person ? Asking because I'm looking to upgrade the engine on my Aerotec. 15hp is fine on a lake with no chop but at sea it struggles.
Old 05 August 2015, 13:06   #5

My 25hp weighs about 52kg (mine is a 1981 model, old but oh so good), about the same as a new 20hp 4stroke. I have a Rooteq trolley that the motor lives on at home. I wheel it to the car and then it gets lifted into the car as the last piece of kit. In this way I do not have to carry it far on put it down, it is more a slight lift and swivel into the open boot (an estate). When unpacking the car I lift the motor out carry it about 3 steps and then carefully put it down ensuring I bend my legs and not back. I then pump up the boat, put the wheels on and then manoeuvre the boat in such a way that I only have to lift the motor up and plonk it on the transom. My aim is always to carry it as little as possible! Call me lazy! Once on the boat, with the petrol tank at the back the boat is very manoeuvrable.

As to your specific question, yes it is easily handled by one person (I love the new etec 25s but at 68kg this too much) but it is the most you would want to lift. Just last weekend I took some friends out on the river, but due to the cycle race in London I had to build the boat about 200m from the boat ramp/slipway and then walk it there down the middle of the road. Quite a sight but very easily managed.

I used to have a Zodiac 340 airfloor with a 15hp which some friends now have and the difference in power between the 15 and 25hp is chalk and cheese. I could never go back. I think that the extra 14kg in weight is so so worth it. On the weekend I had 5 adults in the boat and whilst it didn't jump onto the plane as it does with two people, it happily pushed over the hump and had us moving at almost 20knots no problems.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 05 August 2015, 13:12   #6

>>>15hp is fine on a lake with no chop but at sea it struggles.

I have a Mercury 15 as well. OK it will never be as gutsy as a 20/25hp but in a chop my speed is limited by the bouncing not engine power. How many folks do you take out?
Old 05 August 2015, 13:23   #7

Fenlander is right. Speed is limited by the chop more than the size of the motor, 24kts even with 4 people on board, if not uncomfortable is down right scary! You hold on for dear life. I like the 25 because of the power it has to get the boat up and moving quickly. Do I run it flat out, rarely, and not for long periods, so speed wise I think they are almost even. It is how you get to that speed that brings a smile to my face and makes the extra weight worth it.

Also I tend to go out with 4 people at a time so like the extra torque of a 25. It is a very personal decision. My view is that it is nice to have the extra power, and that you don't need to use it all the time.

Matt
Old 05 August 2015, 13:26   #8

Boat name: Commando C4
Make: Bombard
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP M25C3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
>>>15hp is fine on a lake with no chop but at sea it struggles.

I have a Mercury 15 as well. OK it will never be as gutsy as a 20/25hp but in a chop my speed is limited by the bouncing not engine power. How many folks do you take out?
2 adults, 2 small kids. I must admit that with one or two persons in the Aerotec, it's fast enough. It's just that at sea it feels like it could use some extra hp.

@Matt: thanks for the advice !
Old 05 August 2015, 13:31   #9

I agree 100% Matt... if outboard weight wasn't an issue for me it would be a 20/25 just for the grunt onto the plane when 3 or more up. Thankfully the Aerotec is more progressive onto the plane than any other SIB I've used so it spends less time poised with the nose pointing to the sky until the hump is climbed. It does seem to make the absolute best of a 15hp.

The Mrs (who's broadly in the aero industry) is convinced with modern materials and design a 20/25 could be built down to a target of 35kg... she wishes.
Old 05 August 2015, 20:27   #10

Quote:
All I can say having added an Aerotec to the fleet for our two weeks summer holiday is that it's more like a hard boat in stability and ability than any other SIB I've used. Note... not like a hard boat... just more like.

It isn't as roomy as your current or previous boat and you may or may not get on with the V-floor for use/comfort.

But the biggest issue is probably if your outboard is delivering 30hp that's a lot on a SIB under 4m unless it was carrying a heavy load to pin it in the water... most smaller/medium SIBs will feel flighty with 30hp. My Aerotec feels lively flat out one up with just a 15hp when it's windy.
Its mainly the issue of the boat getting on to plane which is my biggest disappointment! The boat isn't really for comfort as when i carry passengers they generally sit round the outside of the rib and its only for general pottering, not any long journeys.
As far as the engines concerned i like that extra bit of 'Umph' especially when getting on to plane and when i'm towing inflatables.
Old 05 August 2015, 21:10   #11

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
While the Aerotec is streets ahead of all other air floor boats, the HonWave is not far behind.

How are you inflating the floor ? The pressure has to be perfect for it to perform well and with 30hp it should pull pretty much everything except a lard arsed mono skier.
Old 06 August 2015, 18:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
While the Aerotec is streets ahead of all other air floor boats, the HonWave is not far behind.

How are you inflating the floor ? The pressure has to be perfect for it to perform well and with 30hp it should pull pretty much everything except a lard arsed mono skier.
Thats another point i forgot to add actually, i can only get the floor to 8 bar and can't get close to the 11 it states. Thinking of purchasing an electric pump but they're so damn expensive, i'll definitely get one before my next trip out on the boat.
I've often considered skiing but never thought it'd be possible with a sib because the boat needs to jump on to plane almost instantaneously doesn't it where as sibs have a slight hesitation?
Old 06 August 2015, 18:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3collinso View Post
Thats another point i forgot to add actually, i can only get the floor to 8 bar and can't get close to the 11 it states. Thinking of purchasing an electric pump but they're so damn expensive, i'll definitely get one before my next trip out on the boat.
I've often considered skiing but never thought it'd be possible with a sib because the boat needs to jump on to plane almost instantaneously doesn't it where as sibs have a slight hesitation?

Getting up behind any boat is all about technique and practice, its true that more power makes it easier to get up, but my kids skied behind a MK2C FDutura with a 25hp OK.

Get the electric pump, its the best money you will ever spend. Make sure you top it up after its been in the water for at least 15 mins as well. With the floor at correct pressure, the boat is transformed.

Be carefull, its only 11psi you want, 11bar would make quite a mess
Old 06 August 2015, 19:05   #14

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Getting up behind any boat is all about technique and practice, its true that more power makes it easier to get up, but my kids skied behind a MK2C FDutura with a 25hp OK.

Get the electric pump, its the best money you will ever spend. Make sure you top it up after its been in the water for at least 15 mins as well. With the floor at correct pressure, the boat is transformed.

That's right 11bar no no get a bravo around £80 spot on bit of kit
Old 06 August 2015, 19:10   #15

Quote:

Thats probably whats causing the majority of the issues tbh, i've just got to understand that the transition from a rigid aluminium floor to an inflatable floor is going to be different i'm sure i'll soon get used to it.
All that aside i'm still gonna peg for the Bombard, i'm gonna hold out till the boat show in Feb at the N.E.C in Birmingham and see if i can get a good deal, don't like buying second hand sibs as i always end up inheriting other peoples issues
Old 06 August 2015, 19:14   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3collinso View Post
Thats probably whats causing the majority of the issues tbh, i've just got to understand that the transition from a rigid aluminium floor to an inflatable floor is going to be different i'm sure i'll soon get used to it.
All that aside i'm still gonna peg for the Bombard, i'm gonna hold out till the boat show in Feb at the N.E.C in Birmingham and see if i can get a good deal, don't like buying second hand sibs as i always end up inheriting other peoples issues

The Aerotec is even worse than the Honwave if you dont get the right pressure.

Buy a Bravo, you wont regret it and it might save you 2k
Old 06 August 2015, 19:27   #17

Quote:
The Aerotec is even worse than the Honwave if you dont get the right pressure.

Buy a Bravo, you wont regret it and it might save you 2k
Gonna get this one ordered, NEW BRAVO Electric Inflatable Boat Rib 12v Air Pump Inflator BTP12 M Tent SUP | eBay
Thanks for your help
Old 27 February 2019, 09:41   #18

Town: Sweet-Lake city
Engine: YAMAHA 15hp 4s 2018
New aerotec

Does anyone have a 2019 aerotec 380?

Here in NL it is available again trough some bombard dealerships...

I don't know why it dissapeard, and strange that it is available uppon reguest at the manufacturer
Old 27 February 2019, 09:45   #19

Are you 100% sure? There are UK dealers with websites advertising 2019 Aerotecs but when phoned they say it's an error. If any dealer in NL claims to have a new Aerotec I would want to see the transom serial number plate to make sure it wasn't old stock.

All the UK dealers I've spoken to this month say the Aerotec has been discontinued.

See this thread...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...ued-80825.html
Old 27 February 2019, 09:47   #20

Town: Sweet-Lake city
Engine: YAMAHA 15hp 4s 2018
Quote:
Are you 100% sure? There are UK dealers with websites advertising 2019 Aerotecs but when phoned they say it's an error. If any dealer in NL claims to have a new Aerotec I would want to see the transom serial number plate to make sure it wasn't old stock.

All the UK dealers I've spoken to this month say the Aerotec has been discontinued.

See this thread...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/aerotec...ued-80825.html
I have actually bought one, and it is real 2019 made.

will take a pic soon