Old 31 May 2019, 02:06   #1

Town: Cornwall
Length: 3m +
Battery set up

Hi I have just purchased a plotter/sounder for my sib

I went for the lowrance 7 elite ti2 and was wondering if a 12v 7ah will be enough to power it for a day out or will I need a higher ah?

Next question, are there battery boxes that are compatible to just put a battery in / plug in head unit and go?
Ive looked online and see a lot of people make their own but as I have no idea on electric I figure to save messing anything up I should buy something ready to go but can’t find much online/ or know which to get.

Thanks for any help, Kieran
Old 31 May 2019, 02:50   #2

Town: Lancaster
Boat name: Sisu
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
MMSI: 235912526
Whist I’m not familiar with that particular model a 7ah battery would normally be plenty to power a plotter sounder for a day.

Don’t know if you can buy a ready made battery box though. Probably, but even then it will likely need some modification to your intended use.

However all you need to do is connect + wire of plotter to + of battery and visa versa with the - and put the battery somewhere safe. Doesn’t really need fastening or boxing though it is good practise to do so.

These batteries are gel usually and can be placed in any orientation. You could even just chuck it in a bag [emoji1303].
Old 31 May 2019, 05:04   #3

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Perhaps a more simple and more clear answer is:

Connect the Positive (+) on the battery to the positive wire of the chart plotter (most likely red in colour)

Connect the negative (-) on the battery to the negative wire of the chart plotter (most likely black in colour)

There will probably be other wires that are not needed for a simple installation if so just tape these up with insulation tape

Plug in the transducer wire and all should work

7ah battery is plenty for a couple of days and as was said a gel battery can go anywhere even in a bag
Old 31 May 2019, 06:26   #4

Thanks for the replies guys , so I can just put spade end connections on the plotter wires and connect directly to the battery, no need for a fuse ? I don’t want to damage the unit.
Old 31 May 2019, 06:51   #5

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilotango View Post
Thanks for the replies guys , so I can just put spade end connections on the plotter wires and connect directly to the battery, no need for a fuse ? I don’t want to damage the unit.
You know more than you make out. An in-line fuse on the positive would be a good idea if one not in the unit. If you are adventurous a switch in the same wire might be useful or you could just pull off the spade terminal when you wanted to disconnect

As a bag I find a laptop bag (they come in various sizes) usefull and I put 2 stainless steel eyes in the side of the seat and bungee the bag to them at each top corner

Your battery should fit in this
Old 31 May 2019, 07:38   #6

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
As a bag I find a laptop bag (they come in various sizes) usefull and I put 2 stainless steel eyes in the side of the seat and bungee the bag to them at each top corner

Your battery should fit in this
So if the new battery is in the laptop bag where do you put the evicted computer without it getting wet on the boat? Also would there be room next to the battery for marmalade sandwich's and bottle of home made lemonade?
Old 31 May 2019, 08:34   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
buy a peli case i use a 20AH [gel] for my set up and its charged by the engine
the peli case can just be velcroed to the seat chartplotter fixed in the lid
this is my CCTV but it gives an idea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_151015 CCTV set.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	129555  
Old 31 May 2019, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilotango View Post
You know more than you make out. An in-line fuse on the positive would be a good idea if one not in the unit. If you are adventurous a switch in the same wire might be useful or you could just pull off the spade terminal when you wanted to disconnect
I'd say there SHOULD be a fuse as close to the battery as possible. It may only be a baby battery, but I'm pretty sure shorted the right way it will still start a fire and on SIB you don't exactly have a lot of room to move if you are on fire.

The unit in question draws 0.9A according to its specs - so pretty much any small spade fuse would be good. I'd think 1A is a bit too close for comfort, but you can get 2A ones. What matters is that the wires can handle that current.

A SIB is not a forgiving place for wires, water and salt.

I'd fuse the wire even if the unit has an inbuilt fuse. No fuse would not damage the unit - but will protect YOU if there is a fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzago View Post
Whist I’m not familiar with that particular model a 7ah battery would normally be plenty to power a plotter sounder for a day.
Quote:
7ah battery is plenty for a couple of days and as was said a gel battery can go anywhere even in a bag
The product states it draws 0.9A - that could be a maximum - but if you need to illuminate a coloured backlit screen, send sound waves to the bottom of the sea and then receive them back, clean them up, filter them, process them etc. Process a GPS signal etc It doesn't seem unrealistic to be using 0.9A for a decent amount of time.
A 7Ah battery should only be 50% discharged to prevent damage.
That gives you 3.5Ah to play with. I suspect 4hrs might be all you can get... So it will depend how you use it an what a days use means. Is it on all the time? Are you charging as you run?

If you are charging as you run you need more wires! But you only need enough battery to cover times at anchor with the motor off and a bit of grace for when the charging wire breaks on a foggy trip back to base and you really want the plotter to work.

If you aren't charging on the run - is the collective really sure you'll get the endurance suggested?
Old 31 May 2019, 10:49   #9

RIBase
20 ah minimum in my opinion gives some leeway then P for plenty
Old 31 May 2019, 12:03   #10

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
I use my Dragonfly on the hire fishing boats at Rutland & Pitsford reservoirs as a fishfinder. (Don't have a chart for either)
I use an alarm battery & it's been fine for 2 days of use - that's about 12 hours continuous use per day so 24 ish all told. Never tried it for longer so I don't know how long it would go on one charge.
They're sealed & just need a recharge off a normal car battery charger.
Yuasa NP18-12B 12v,17.2AH
I've got a glass in-line fuse on the +ve cable.

ETA Random Google to show the size: http://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/np18...tery-406-p.asp
Old 31 May 2019, 15:17   #11

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
We use both these and Pelli cases at work and (apart from the price) there's not a huge difference between them.

https://cpc.farnell.com/search?st=waterproof%20case
Old 31 May 2019, 16:26   #12

Many thanks for everybody for all of the replies, this gives me plenty to think about, much appreciated
Old 31 May 2019, 19:22   #13

RIBase
Look on Solent plastics decent prices
Old 31 May 2019, 19:43   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Look on Solent plastics decent prices
That is now on my favourites. I could then justify buying a load of stuff so I could keep it safe.
Old 02 June 2019, 06:51   #15

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
You dont mention the engine on the SIB,
Does it have one, if so is it an electric or manual start?
Some manual start engines have a charging output which could be used to charge your chartplotter battery, a simple wiring job.
If it has a starter battery, then wire to the starter battery. The amount of power used by the chartplotter will be replenished quite quickly when the engine is running, say 20minutes for 8 hours use.
But also observe all the comments above about fuses and switches. Also use a sealed swich, Carling Switches are a good example, easily available. Use Tinned copper wire of 1.5mm or prefereably 2.5mm. This is easily available online from motor factors, but Not from B & Q and the like.
Old 02 June 2019, 07:34   #16

Town: Varna
Make: Adventure
Engine: Honda EF 50
I used before 18Ah with Garmin 7" Echomap.
It can't survive full day. Depends what level of display brightness i use too..
Old 02 June 2019, 07:42   #17

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
If the unit draws 0.9A , an 18AH battery should last at least 10 hours (using the 50% discharge level)
There must be otger factors here. Addition loads such as a VHF, FM radio lights etc...
Or the battery is either duff, or has not been fully charged.
Old 02 June 2019, 08:06   #18

Town: Varna
Make: Adventure
Engine: Honda EF 50
Yes, just shared my experience, but with other unit.
Old 02 June 2019, 08:40   #19

The echo max reports 'typical' 0.8, but max 1.25A

Some units are more sensitive than others to voltage drop. Add in losses through wiring etc.

I'm not surprised that 18Ah is not hitting it for a **Full** day. IME these little alarm batteries are not particularly great at being drained. Their normal use is to sit fully charged and then when power cut happens to bug everyone for a bit. When that happens we all prey they die quickly
Old 03 June 2019, 03:34   #20

Thanks for the reply’s again the engine I use is a tohatsu 9.8 4stroke unsure if I can charge off of that.

Luckily for me a mate who has made up plenty of battery boxes has kindly offered to make it for me.

Will be using a 12ah battery and time will tell how long it will run the unit for