Town: Dublin.
Boat name: Tender 2.
Make: Valiant DR 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Optimax
MMSI: coming soon !
Rib Charter wanted.

Guy's,
Does anybody know of a place where I can charter a rib for a month next year. The boat would need to be at least six or seven metres long and be capable of the round Ireland event.
Old 08 December 2002, 14:05   #2

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
charter

Scotty there is a place in south I think Cork I am guessing here they do Zeppelin ribs I think, I will email a friend who knows more about it, but I think they are in Cork, By the way the guy who is berthed beside me and Tim has done a circumnavigation in a Zodiac 5.5 with a 115 Yam two stroke, 4 of them took the rib around Ireland it cost around 800 punts in fuel and took about a week, the only problem with the boat was uncomfortable seats on long stretches and coming upon containers in the sea in the dark and unlit metal buoys at night but 5.5 was big enough, but you need a big wallet especially for petrol oil and sundries gavin
Old 08 December 2002, 14:15   #3

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Re: Rib Charter wanted.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
round Ireland event.
Scotty, are RI organising this again?

Dan
Old 08 December 2002, 14:29   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
- in this year's Round Ireland event, I believe that "Black Smoke" (7.9M Ribtec ) was a charter boat, and looking at their profile, I guess that one of their sponsors, Charter International, was the supplier.

HTH,
Richard.
Old 08 December 2002, 18:03   #5

Re: charter

Quote:
Originally posted by gavin
By the way the guy who is berthed beside me and Tim has done a circumnavigation in a Zodiac 5.5 with a 115 Yam two stroke, 4 of them took the rib around Ireland it cost around 800 punts in fuel and took about a week, the only problem with the boat was uncomfortable seats on long stretches
I have just discovered this design fault.... but will tolerate it until next year and we buy something bigger. By the way...now moored up in Howth !
Old 08 December 2002, 18:27   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
why not have a chat with Wavehumper, he runs a rib charter business,

Pete
Old 09 December 2002, 17:09   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Can anyone explain to me how they can get a RIB coded for charter work that involves long, offshore passages?

As far as I know you ca't easily do round Ireland and stay within 20 miles of a safe haven . . .

John
Old 09 December 2002, 18:21   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
Can anyone explain to me how they can get a RIB coded for charter work that involves long, offshore passages?

As far as I know you ca't easily do round Ireland and stay within 20 miles of a safe haven . . .

John
John,
By "charter" I mean to rent. I would like to rent a rib.
Old 09 December 2002, 21:45   #9

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Scotty I put this foolishly on the wrong thread and you may not need to rent a RIB

Scotty, I got beaten on the last Ireland challenge and going around your lovely countrys coastline is definitely unfinished business. The Irish guys on the event were talking about setting up some form of Irish Rib Club....has this happened yet?

I realised as I was rallycrossing the Camel across, and up and down Ireland that I really wanted to do it again as a member of an Irish team. I think my little Scorpion would be much better suited to the job.

If you fancy teaming up . then send me a PM

Cheers
Stuart
Old 09 December 2002, 21:56   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
By "charter" I mean to rent...
Isn't that the same as a charter? (I thought that charter was just the correct nautical term for a rental)
Old 09 December 2002, 22:15   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Hmm, now don't quote me as the regs are about to change, but a bare boat charter doesn't need the RYA qualifications like say a fishing boat. With bare boat the "hirer" takes the responsibility although the owner is suposed to carryout a check for suitability for the intended voyage .

In the old rules its para 26.2 but whats really anoying is that the MCA expect everyone to buy the new ones shortly rather than down load them from the web site.

Pete
Old 09 December 2002, 22:26   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete7
...bare boat charter doesn't need the RYA qualifications...
yeah, but aren't there two issues:
1. Charter Co's insurance probably insist on the hirer having at least PYA p-boat-2
2. A charter co's craft has to conform to the appropriate MCA coding (I'm sure JK used to have an article about this on here somewhere - ah, no - it's on Paul Glatzel's site) - as soon a money changes hands as this becomes a commercial issue.
Old 10 December 2002, 10:01   #13

Oh for Gods sake. Give it a break..... I have my level 2 powerboat course. I will insure the boat and as long as nobody tells the UK regulatory bodies that I am in IRELAND it wont matter. Jeez guy's you are getting your lifejackets (knickers) in a twist over rules and regulations.
Old 10 December 2002, 10:09   #14

Town: Oxford
Make: Ribtec, Ballistic, C
Engine: 40hp 4 strokes - twi
Scotty

Charter Internationals e-mail address is

Info@charter-international.com
their phone no is 01590 678010

Give them a call and see what they could quote u.

Old 10 December 2002, 21:11   #15

Whoa, slow down Scotty!!

D'you mean that there's no Irish equivalent of the MCA charter code?

That sounds quite enlightening, as in UK waters you can't charter a RIB for an overnight passage or go more than 20 miles from a "safe haven".

So, you're allowed to have fun. I'm only jealous
Old 10 December 2002, 21:58   #16

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
The Mca coding is changing as we speak,I contacted the RYA and they sent me a copy. of the latest revision,this revision is the 4th this yr and they are still revising it before it comes in to law.

As far as Im aware to get Mca coding for an offshore catergory Rib your boat has to be stability tested based on ISO 12217,

There are other restrictions if it wants to go further out than 3 miles under charter,the minimum the skipper has to Have as I understand it is a Yachtmaster offshore,both practical and theory
Ticket,First aid ticket,Sea survival Ticket, and Gmdss Ticket vhf.

This is if it is skippered on charter,If it is Skippered bye the hirer I am not sure weather Power boat 2 is enough,I would hazard a guess that you would also need vhf,sea survival,first aid and are not allowed to do any night passages you may also only operate within the catergory of your ribs conditions.i.e if cat ce marked cat c rcd and coded for charter then this may be only three 3 miles only?I may be wrong on this one but its certanly getting tough out there and important to look at.

Its a nightmare whats happening out there in compliance world.
The insurance companies are happy as the more people wing it the more they dont have to pay out if something goes wrong.

Good luck. the MCA web site is www.mca.co.uk/survey/code_vessel/faq/index
Old 10 December 2002, 23:20   #17

Sorry I meant to say 20 miles not 3 in my reponce.

And my link doesnt work should be www.mcga.gov.uk

Sorry about that.

Crazy horse
Old 11 December 2002, 07:59   #18

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Crazyhorse

What you say applies to Greece and Italy for all boats RIBs, sailing boats, cuisers, private and chartered boats etc etc.
I think (I'm not sure and correct me if I'm wrong) that the stability testing ISO 12217 is passed when a RIB gets the CE certificate and when it passes certificate B (this is for offshore cruising I think).
As in the UK the sailing regulations have not been as strict as in other EU countries until now (not too many crazy people going out on a wet cold day I think LOLOL ) and as the UK is a member of the EU these regulations you mention (and you will have more to come) will have to come into force for the UK to be inline with all other EU member state rules regarding small/large craft etc.
I believe that when you mentioned the certificate one needs for cruising 3 miles offshore etc applies for a skippered boat and not for private individuals. As far as I know one only needs an RYA ICC or equivalent certificate issued by any EU state to skipper a boat (or that does not apply any more?)
In any case, as it should be expected the strictest regs apply to all EU countries regarding boating in general which I think is A VERY GOOD IDEA!! .
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2002, 10:46   #19

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Scotty

Just found this add mate. May would woth giving them a ring??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 december 2002.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1464  
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2002, 10:57   #20

Dear Manos,

The new Iso Standardes ISO 12217 offshore requirment to acieve Cat B status only came into effect this yr. for Recreational Craft.

The way I see it is a RCD cat C boat may one day get stuffed into only being allowed to go out in daylight,3 miles from port and probably will not be allowed to be used for anything else other than mooching about unless it gets a stability test done,which I can say some great open ribs will not pass as they either have downfooding angles of less than 40 Degrees or are to stable the wrong way up..

This may not bother anybody and I realy do hope it dont happen,but as I said in the past I am a Happy Cynick.

You see when I was mooching about this yr at Ribex I saw a open boat that looked like a military boat and I liked it,so I asked the company was it an offshore and they said yes, no problem sir.

Bulshit it was marked up cat C RCD,yes at the moment you are allowed to go offshore untill the insurance companys realise there is another angle for them not to pay out.

Insurance companies in my opinion dont want to loose there existing clients so they arnt going to say to much on the subject at present.
EG, sir you should not be using this boat in those conditions,or area?

Its a bad time with all the new regulations and I feel we should maybe all ask Rib net to ask a few unhealthy questions like to the Mca or RYA.

1X If my boat got cat C ce marking what are the limitations now and can you guarantee they will not change in the next 10 yrs and the insurance companies will at no time limit my use for private use.

2X If I have bought a cat B boat before the Iso Standardes came into force,i.e this yr will I ever have to get it re surveyed or could my Cat B status ever be lossed in the next 10 yrs

3x If I have bought a cat B boat that Wasnt measured against the current iso 12217 does that mean if I want to charter I will have to start all over again and becouse it aint got a stability test done it may fail! and then I may be limited to pootling about within 3 miles in daylight.

Its just bad news for the man that buys a RIB withought looking into things.

And Im no tecki but when you spend a lot of money on a rib you want it to be right and I hope by asking these questions we get a debate that helps all of us get what we want.

Not what we are sold.

As far as the person who wants to charter a rib this yr goes .

My advice is simple buy one then sell it, it may be cheaper