Old 23 January 2002, 19:31   #1
Ali

Town: Portree
Make: Panthercat
Length: 9m
Engine: Mercruiser Diesel
MCA Yellow Code

I am putting a charter boat in the water and ahve only really dealt with the red code and NDP has anyone had much dealings with the yellow code and what are the major differences between it and the yellow.
Anyone out there runnning a panthercat, and if they are i would really appreciate some comments and if poss some advise.
Cheers for now.
Old 23 January 2002, 19:48   #2

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Ali

1) I have taken a RIB to Cat 4 Yellow code - could you clarify what cat you were looking at under the red code and which you are looking at under yellow then i can perhaps give you a better answer

2) Last year I posted a thread at Johns request regarding coding a RIB - you will find it further down in the forum

Paul

PS John, an idea would be perhaps to see which threads posted over the last year or so could be moved to be a feature eg the coding thread

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2002, 22:31   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Good idea. Rather than reformatting the threads though I can add a set of "Featured discussions" with links to the forum -- this way people can still add to the threads.

Any suggestionsof other threads for this treatment?

John
Old 24 January 2002, 19:13   #4
Ali

Thanks for your reply Paul Glatzel.
I am looking at getting her put under the red code Cat 5 20 miles from NDP, but as far as can gather this is the same as Yellow code Cat 4, therfore may as well go Yellow Cat4 unfortunately i am still waiting for my copy of the yellow code and the local CG do not have a copy.
Therefore i am looking for an help with what LSA and FFA gear i will need, over and above what is stated in the red code.
Thanks again and look forward to your reply.
Ali.
Old 29 January 2002, 20:39   #5

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Ali

Sorry for the delay in replying.

It makes sense for you to look at the yellow code rather than the red code as it gives you far more charter potential as it doesn't fix you to a set Nominated Departure Point.

You have two choices Cat 4 - up to 20 miles from a safe haven in favourable weather & daylight or Cat 3 - - up to 20 miles to a safe haven.

Broadly speaking the kit requirments are the same (see later) however the fundamental point is that cat 3 requires basically the RIB to have an enclosed wheelhouse/protection for crew. It is feasible that this can be a structure constructed as you need it ( I know of someone who has done so for a 5.6m RIB) but this is an expensive option thus restricting you to cat 4 - which is rather frustrating

The kit list is exhasutive - but reasonable - although you need ( by the standards of my RIB) a huge amount of chain/warp and a very big anchor. You also need very silly things like a barometer! The key piece of kit that causes much consternation though is a liferaft - you won't necessarilly see this reflected in the rules but i can guarantee it is a requirement.

I reckon I spent c£1750 on kit and with hindsight would only ever suggest coding a 7m + RIB

Hope this is helpful, you can order the yellow code on 0870 600 5522 - " The safety of small commercial motor vessels - a code of practice"

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2002, 17:01   #6
Ali

Yellow code

Hi Paul,
The boat is 9m so that should not be a problem. I think i will probably stick to the Yellow cat4, as 20 miles from a safe haven gives a fairly big scope up here. For liferafts i am putting on 2x 8 man so i can make the numbers for 12 passengers and then 2 crew. Problem is where to put them. A frame or engine box? any suggestions. A Frame, weight to high stability problems? Engine box to much weight problem to get at the engine? So any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Still waiting for the yellow code form Stationary office.
Any other tips on coding a RIB would be gratefully received.
Thanks for the info so far.
Ali.
Old 31 January 2002, 18:16   #7
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I wouldn't go for the A-frame as it would be best to keep the weight lower.

Do you have any room in the bow? Depending on your layout it might be a good use of otherwise wasted space.

Engine box would probably be OK, but you may find that the boat is getting rather stern heavy depending on how weighty your engine is. How about one on the engine box and one in the bow?

John
Old 31 January 2002, 19:13   #8
Ali

Yellow Code

Thanks John,
After i wrote that i thought about one in the bow and one on the engine box and I think that you are probably spot on with that.
The only slight worry i have about the bow is damaging it.
Any ideas on protection, apart from a wooden box which isn't really in keeping with the scheme of things.
Cheers for now.
Ali.