Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
Thoughts on this BRIG 6m, anyone? 2014 BRIG Navigator 610 RIB Boat - 2015 Evinrude E115hp H.O. - PX Welcome | eBay

Thanks for folks' continued input.

There are better boats to be had, you need to think west coast of Ireland not Cote D'azur
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 September 2017, 09:33   #42

Length: under 3m
"There are better boats to be had, you need to think west coast of Ireland not Cote D'azur"

Yep: understand that point. So, what's this RIB lacking? Not challenging you: just progressing up the learning curve. I hear that I need water time, but doing my homework too.
Old 03 September 2017, 11:08   #43

Town: South Yorks
RIBase
Quote:
"There are better boats to be had, you need to think west coast of Ireland not Cote D'azur"

Yep: understand that point. So, what's this RIB lacking? Not challenging you: just progressing up the learning curve. I hear that I need water time, but doing my homework too.

Underpowered for its size, not a particularly deep v hull. Questionable build quality.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 03 September 2017, 11:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Underpowered for its size, not a particularly deep v hull. Questionable build quality.

Yep: I'm at the very foot of the learning curve. Putting the v hull and build quality aside, what's the minimum engine for it? Not interested in this boat, but interested in educating myself. Sorry for all questions and not searching the archives. (ignore me if I'm being a PIA)
Old 03 September 2017, 11:38   #45

RIBase
Quote:
Yep: I'm at the very foot of the learning curve. Putting the v hull and build quality aside, what's the minimum engine for it? Not interested in this boat, but interested in educating myself. Sorry for all questions and not searching the archives. (ignore me if I'm being a PIA)

No worries ask away. I don't know what that boat is rated at, that's always the starting point. Personally, (and this is a bone of contention on Ribnet) I would always go to the maximum end of the rated power, you don't have to use it, but it's there when you need it. The west of Ireland is no place to be, wishing you had more grunt on the back. Also in my experience, a larger engine in mid range revs, uses less fuel than a smaller engine that is revving it's nuts off. On a 6m RIB I'd be looking at 130-150hp as sensible, going to max hp if boat & budget allow. I had a 585 with a 175 on the back, good fun[emoji6]
Old 03 September 2017, 12:51   #46

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
I have a a 6.5mtr with a 130hp....I've had it to Ireland and back, round all of The Small isles, The Summer Isles, Jura, Mull, Staffa, The Shaints ....etc. It will deep-start two skiers and tops out at around 38Kn. Generally cruise at around 23Kn 3700 RPM and just worked out my fuel consumption for the last two months (800Kn miles) at 1.16Kn ml/litre. Never felt it lacked enough "grunt"

Up till about 15yrs ago I'd have agreed with the "max permissible" option but recently some of the "max permissible" figures have resulted in engine sizes that plainly are too powerful for the boat. The accident involving the Millie being a prime example.

Under powering is an issue but I suspect a beginner is more likely to get into trouble with too much power..........How long have you got once it starts "chine -walking"? You know if it's there you'll just keep pushing and pushing your luck.
Old 03 September 2017, 14:57   #47

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
How underpowered is unpowered? 115-130 is 12% ish

This must be awful though Avon 620 rib boat with mercury 75hp 4 stroke outboard great condition Avon 620 rib boat with mercury 75hp 4 stroke outboard great condition | eBay

115 would be about right for the 620 or still underpowered? Also ETEC are lighter supposedly for same go so does that offset some of the underpowering?
Old 03 September 2017, 15:18   #48

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I have a a 6.5mtr with a 130hp.....

So we agree then?
Old 03 September 2017, 20:02   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
This must be awful though Avon 620 rib boat with mercury 75hp 4 stroke outboard great condition

115 would be about right for the 620 or still underpowered?

Also ETEC are lighter supposedly for same go so does that offset some of the underpowering?
Yes... Nae use wit so ever.

Yes... That would do (But maybe, like the Brig, not the ideal boat for Atlantic waters?)

And....the difference in weight isn't enough to make any significant difference to the power you'd need.
Old 03 September 2017, 20:14   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
So we agree then?
Essentially yes.......with the proviso that "Recommended maximum engine size" has to be tempered with a modicum of common sense and there are some rib manufacturers who loss sight of the fact that a 60-70mph RIB is a dangerous piece of kit especially in the hands of the inexperienced.
Old 03 September 2017, 20:18   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
Yes... Nae use wit so ever.:
Shame always fancied an Avon adventure 6m ish lol
Old 03 September 2017, 21:43   #52

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:

This must be awful though Avon 620 rib boat with mercury 75hp 4 stroke outboard great condition Avon 620 rib boat with mercury 75hp 4 stroke outboard great condition | eBay

115 would be about right for the 620 or still underpowered? Also ETEC are lighter supposedly for same go so does that offset some of the underpowering?
We had an Avon 620 with Yam 115 4-stroke, which was a brilliant setup. Very nicely balanced, not too transom heavy, and plenty of power to max out at ~38kn. I guess the Avon 620 isn't probably as heavy as some of the more serious/offshore 6m boats, and the shallower V hull makes it a bit easier to propel.

But possibly more of a calmer water boat than the intended destination!
Old 03 September 2017, 21:44   #53

Quote:

So this from Ribeye is underpowered? https://www.ribeye.co.uk/approved-used-boats/a600
Old 03 September 2017, 21:51   #54

Quote:
So this from Ribeye is underpowered? https://www.ribeye.co.uk/approved-used-boats/a600
Probably min spec engine have you done your PB2? Swansea watersports run a 6m rib-eye Yamaha set up I think for their courses or did great way to get hands on with the boat. I think 120+ would be more comfortable 150+ overkill probably 135 spot on?

Max for A600 is 150 @ 200kg so 100 is low, 130 Yam is 178kg

Also £23k no trailer 10 year old boat....trailer is £2k

Depending on condition this may be better https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...ye-a600/185292
Old 03 September 2017, 21:52   #55

Quote:
Probably min spec engine have you done your PB2? Swansea watersports run a 6m rib-eye Yamaha set up I think for their courses or did great way to get hands on with the boat.

I have done, yes. Good tip: thanks!
Old 04 September 2017, 11:55   #56

Quote:

Also £23k no trailer 10 year old boat....trailer is £2k

[/url]
Absolutely.

My mate paid half that for a 10 year old Ribeye 650 with a 150 Yam. and trailer
Old 04 September 2017, 16:49   #57

Thoughts on this, folks?

Stormforce 650 - Redbay Boats
Old 04 September 2017, 16:54   #58

RIBase
Quote:
Thoughts on this, folks?

Stormforce 650 - Redbay Boats

I'd buy it with my money
Old 04 September 2017, 17:53   #59

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
That looks a very nice boat. There has been a bit of discussion about twin engine set ups and I know PD has had one in the past. I like the twin set up for the redundancy it gives plus it does look pretty cool.

It would definitely be on my short list.

I'm going to steal the thread slightly and ask that on the 650 and the diesel inboard 6.5 also for sale, the jockey seats form two 'piers' coming away from the patrol console.

Is getting you leg over (no sniggering at the back) a PITA with the backrests in the way?

Sorry for the slight hijack.
Old 04 September 2017, 17:57   #60

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
That looks a very nice boat. There has been a bit of discussion about twin engine set ups and I know PD has had one in the past. I like the twin set up for the redundancy it gives plus it does look pretty cool.

It would definitely be on my short list.

I'm going to steal the thread slightly and ask that on the 650 and the diesel inboard 6.5 also for sale, the jockey seats form two 'piers' coming away from the patrol console.

Is getting you leg over (no sniggering at the back) a PITA with the backrests in the way?

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Mick has the same boat with the double jockey seats & rear removable bench/fuel tank. It's a very very nice hull & rides exceptionally well. If I was in the market for that size boat, it would be either the Redbay 6.5 or the RC 6.8 & it would be a close call.