Old 01 September 2017, 18:50   #1

Length: under 3m
New boat - advice needed

Posted this in introductions, but may be better here.

Did my offshore training last year, but still v much a novice.

We live in Penarth nr Cardiff, so well served with water. I'm looking for a boat that can do family (2 adults, 3 kids, dog) days out around Cardiff, perhaps across to Minehead, Devon etc. We are certainly NOT looking for speedy adventures on the water. Just picnics out. My wife will want safety and comfort first. Oh, and safety. Also, I'm definitely no Monty Hall.

So, why a RIB?

We also have a place on the quayside in Roundstone, near Clifden, County Galway, Ireland. I've spent 20 years watching families having fun in boats there and finally my youngest is old enough to join them. We go there for 3 weeks every summer, so it occurred that I should get a boat that could be easily trailered behind my Disco 4 from South Wales (a 12 hour journey).

From a family needs standpoint, I probably would benefit from a boat with a bit more shelter and deck space than a 7 foot RIB provides. A general boat (cuddy?) would be ideal. But, the wind blows up quickly on the Atlantic coast - even on the very tame coastal fairweather trips that we'd be taking. Hence thinking a decent RIB would be needed.

So, I'm looking at a RIB firstly for ease of towing and secondly for safety in Irish Atlantic waters (even though we'd be only sailing on the very best of days). I'm time poor and can't take on anything high maintenance. It needs to tow, launch, enjoy, rinse down and store in my car port at home. Of course regular servicing in Penarth to ensure reliability would be paramount.

So, am I thinking along the right lines? Or, am I mad? Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. I should add that budget is ~30k, but priority is the right boat (and trailer) and so would go higher if it meets the criteria of convenience, comfort and safety for family cruising.
Old 01 September 2017, 22:33   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Paul if you are time poor but cash rich save all the faffing about with towing the boat and have it in the dry stack in Cardiff marine village? They launch boat tie to pontoon and then you go off and have fun, return boat they pick it up and put away, saves trailer getting a dunking and ruining it between long tows to Ireland it's not cheap but it might help swing it with the family

£30k is a great budget but can't help thinking a rib might not be ideal, it is ideal for a safe vessel to hoon about in and have lots of fun but (I'll get shot for this) there are other which may be more suited to family picnics and cruising......
Old 01 September 2017, 22:38   #3

Great advice, HDAV. Here's the catch: I'm bought into the island hopping fun to be had in Connemara. But, was a bit underwhelmed by time spent in the Bristol Channel. Is there real fun to be had out of Cardiff Bay? I confess my driver for running a boat in Penarth was to gain experience for summer fun in Ireland. Will I catch the bug on Cardiff waters?
Old 01 September 2017, 22:53   #4

I launch from porthcawl, a marina there too but no dry stack, I think you need to head west from Cardiff bay and over to Devon, ilfracombe, watchet for lunch is lovely, run down to oxwich and round to the work to see seals etc but the channel can change very quickly from calm and sunny to wet, choppy and limited visibility happen the other week went to ilfracombe in ok conditions left in what felt like a hailstorm and sub300m visibility

Small children and marginal partners may well not have been impressed, the ladies with us just pulled down the visors on their helmets put their gloves on and settled into a bumpy ride back we had 25 miles back to porthcawl Cardiff would have been closer to 50 and although it settled down not sure I would have enjoyed another hour plus at the helm....

Depends what you class as fun I guess, flat water gets boring unless you are going so,where specific you are just burning fuel......lots of fuel.....
Old 01 September 2017, 22:58   #5

Yes: that's how I saw it out of The Bay. Hence, hesitation to invest too much cash in the Cardiff end of things (and thinking of a RIB on trailer). But, back to the boat. I have a wife and elder daughter who are very timid about the boat. My missus will happily drift around Cardiff Bay with a Martini. You run a RIB for your trips? What is the rationale for that? (Sorry for all the questions - naïve noobie, I'm afraid.)
Old 01 September 2017, 23:09   #6

Dry stack just makes it easier to get on the water when you do have time and the weather is right you still have trailer just less faff, boat lives in stack and when going to Ireland they will (probably for a fee) lift it onto trailer for you.

the bay you can launch anytime but getting out of the lock is restricted by the tide. The whole channel has that issue which is why I use porthcawl as it's the least restricted local launch.

Last time out I got to helm a 6.5m cobra which would be in your budget. Loaned by a generous club member (don't think he'll let me have it again, the vhf aerial snapped and the screen cracked in some heavy chop.....)
Old 01 September 2017, 23:11   #7

Thanks, HDAV. I confess that I hadn't appreciated that Cardiff was compromised in that way. Again, great advice - thank you.
Paul
Old 01 September 2017, 23:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
Thanks, HDAV. I confess that I hadn't appreciated that Cardiff was compromised in that way. Again, great advice - thank you.
Paul
Double check but I don't launch there so is my under standing

"Under normal circumstances, for vessels with a draught of under 2.0m, full tidal access is possible. However, occasions will arise when siltation within the Outer Harbour will reduce access."

Might be ok then
Old 01 September 2017, 23:17   #9

Screen cracked in heavy chop [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
Old 01 September 2017, 23:18   #10

Quote:
Screen cracked in heavy chop [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33]
Should have seen it the day before.... rolling 10ft plus now that was fun....
Old 01 September 2017, 23:19   #11

I trust you didn't go out in that?
Old 01 September 2017, 23:23   #12

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
It kinda sounds like people trying to put you off ribs when it comes to newbies but if weather is marginal or visibility is poor then it's no fun being out in any boat in reality (unless you thrive on the endurance factor). Weather forecasts are far better than they used to be so picking a good day is easier than it used to be. We have a large hard boat cruiser and a 7.4m rib and to be honest I'd rather be out in the rib in marginal weather than the hard boat.
Yes in the hard boat the crew can retreat into the comfort of the cabin but if its rough that's not really comfortable and can get nauseous and they can't see when the next big wave is going to slam. The rib on the other hand feels less vulnerable and more capable and the crew can see what's coming and you can keep an eye on them.
It's difficult to say if your family will come to enjoy and trust the boat if the weather gets bad but if they don't like the rib when it's rough I doubt they'd like a hard boat either.
£30k is a healthy budget and you will be able to buy a decent size serious boat with that budget.
The difficult bit is finding something big enough to keep the crew feeling comfortable but not too big it's a pain to launch and recover
Maybe 6 -7m ish would be my thoughts
Old 01 September 2017, 23:25   #13

Quote:
I trust you didn't go out in that?
I did but not in a rib
Old 01 September 2017, 23:28   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
It kinda sounds like people trying to put you off ribs when it comes to newbies but if weather is marginal or visibility is poor then it's no fun being out in any boat in reality (unless you thrive on the endurance factor). Weather forecasts are far better than they used to be so picking a good day is easier than it used to be. We have a large hard boat cruiser and a 7.4m rib and to be honest I'd rather be out in the rib in marginal weather than the hard boat.
The difficult bit is finding something big enough to keep the crew feeling comfortable but not too big it's a pain to launch and recover
Maybe 6 -7m ish would be my thoughts

Thanks Beamishken. It's fair to say we'd only go out with the best of forecasts. Which do you use more often: RIB or Hardboat?
Old 01 September 2017, 23:35   #15

We use them for different things the hard boat we take away for holidays and stay aboard, the rib tends to be more for going out for the day and trailering to other places I'd say the rib is probably more versatile apart from you can't sleep on it
Old 01 September 2017, 23:36   #16

Quote:
We use them for different things the hard boat we take away for holidays and stay aboard, the rib tends to be more for going out for the day and trailering to other places I'd say the rib is probably more versatile apart from you can't sleep on it

You holiday by boat (not towing?)
Old 01 September 2017, 23:48   #17

Quote:
You holiday by boat (not towing?)
Yeh we live near largs so have the entire scottish west coast and Ireland & Iom in our back yard so to speak and the boats 38ft I doubt the hilux would manage that lol
But to be honest I'd take the rib anywhere we've been with the cruiser you just can't sleep on it
The Rib gives more smiles per £ for sure
Old 02 September 2017, 00:50   #18

Quote:
Yeh we live near largs so have the entire scottish west coast and Ireland & Iom in our back yard so to speak and the boats 38ft I doubt the hilux would manage that lol
But to be honest I'd take the rib anywhere we've been with the cruiser you just can't sleep on it
The Rib gives more smiles per £ for sure

38 feet is a big boat alright. What RIB do you have?
Old 02 September 2017, 06:05   #19

Rib is a Delta 7.4 with 240yamaha
Old 02 September 2017, 06:13   #20
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote: