Old 02 September 2017, 08:14   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Paul - if I faced a 12 h each way tow to take the boat to a holiday house I'd seriously consider leaving the boat there. Especially if it involved a hefty ferry fare for taking a trailer. Realistically it sounds like you will use it far more there than in Cardiff bay.

If I wanted to have a boat local to home to build up experience I'd actually consider two boats rather than drag one back n forth.

beamishken makes a lot of sense, but if you find yourself in Ireland on a rainy day (I hear it happens there occasionally) you (or the family) might well appreciate the shelter a cuddy provides. Gecko helmets and dry suits are a viable alternative but you'll soon have splashed another grand! If you look at the boats which are built over there you will see cabins and canopies are more common than on the south coast.

as well as the obvious rib choices, in your shoes I'd have a look at Parker (Andre posts on here) they have some hardboard that use the same hull form as their Ribs but with shelter/comfort. There are similar style boats around. Not sure what new prices are like but you could certainly get a relatively tidy second hand example. Tubes are expensive and take up quite a bit of space, so ribs don't always give you as good value.
Old 02 September 2017, 09:08   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
The resident Redbay rep. Has been suspiciously quiet[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2017, 10:56   #23

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

This caught my eye https://ibb.co/kjVMGv ideal for flat calm days and should go well. I can see the appeal of towing but wouldn't want to do it... but if your prepared to spend the time driving it over and back means you could use the boat here when you felt like it.

I like the endurance aspect and pushing my limits. It was lovely flat sunny day day on Monday I was bored so after a few hours I went home and pulled the engine to bits in an effort to get more speed, now waiting on parts to replace a few bits...
Old 02 September 2017, 12:08   #24

Length: under 3m
All good advice. Thanks folks. I hear you about the stress of towing a boat for 12 hours...but we have no storage in Ireland, we're committed to the ferry (with dog) and likely towing our gear in a trailer anyway. Pulling a boat isn't much extra bother, I'm thinking.
Old 02 September 2017, 13:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

This caught my eye https://ibb.co/kjVMGv ideal for flat calm days and should go well. I can see the appeal of towing but wouldn't want to do it... but if your prepared to spend the time driving it over and back means you could use the boat here when you felt like it.

I like the endurance aspect and pushing my limits. It was lovely flat sunny day day on Monday I was bored so after a few hours I went home and pulled the engine to bits in an effort to get more speed, now waiting on parts to replace a few bits...
Nice RIB, certainly. But, £30k seems steep. Perhaps a reflection of the Irish market?
Old 02 September 2017, 15:03   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
Nice RIB, certainly. But, £30k seems steep. Perhaps a reflection of the Irish market?

€30k not that it makes much difference these days.....
Old 02 September 2017, 17:32   #27

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
h

I was thinking the same Dave....
....but Mick seems pretty quiet on here lately

Probably looking for that "Big Single"

For me Towing is small price to pay The Vast array choice and Variety of Lauch sites...it's a Huge Coastline out there!...(my friend is selling his 100k yacht and buying a RIB! For that very reason,moored at Dartmouth,by the time he gets there and the slow nature of Yaghts he's got little choice on where he goes,even on a long weekend,and is sick of the same bit of ...Left or right?? Coast!..not to mention the Gin swilling Pontoon warriors that never....very rarely actually go anywhere!)
...and to have the Boat close to home for easy access ...general maintenance/fettling and potentially improved security.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2017, 17:44   #28

Town: Nottingham
RIBase
Even though I'm personally a Ribcraft lover I'd be quick to suggest that for 30k you could get a 7m redbay cabin or screen-plus-soft-top. For the waters and related concerns you have that would be my choice. Towing a 7m is pretty relaxing in a Disco 4 (AKA totally no different to driving it normally). If you are well organised launching is no problem especially in that kind of boat where all the boat kit can live onboard.
Old 02 September 2017, 18:04   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Yeah - afloat all day. The ideal boat for him is a used 6.5m or 7.4m canopy. £30k will buy the 6.5m with change, the 7.4m at a pinch. Problem is, there aren't any - hen's teeth doesn't get close. I know a man who passed on an absolutely mint 6.5m Canopy recently at £22k. I should have bought the bluddy thing myself and sold it on. I haven't seen one since...
Old 02 September 2017, 18:30   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yeah - afloat all day. The ideal boat for him is a used 6.5m or 7.4m canopy. £30k will buy the 6.5m with change, the 7.4m at a pinch. Problem is, there aren't any - hen's teeth doesn't get close. I know a man who passed on an absolutely mint 6.5m Canopy recently at £22k. I should have bought the bluddy thing myself and sold it on. I haven't seen one since...

Ah, thanks! Can you be more precise on the boat you're recommending, please? Yes: this much of a newbie [emoji37]
Old 02 September 2017, 18:46   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Ah, thanks! Can you be more precise on the boat you're recommending, please? Yes: this much of a newbie [emoji37]
SO, this is what €30k buys you - a none too young 7.4m canopy. €23k will put you in a fairly fresh 6.5m canopy. Four plus under cover. Cover comes off. Good hull, built for Irish weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ocean Dubh.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	121650  
Old 02 September 2017, 18:56   #32

Quote:
SO, this is what €30k buys you - a none too young 7.4m canopy. €23k will put you in a fairly fresh 6.5m canopy. Four plus under cover. Cover comes off. Good hull, built for Irish weather.

Okay, that makes sense. So, here's where I ask whether this Redbay Canopy set up puts me so close to a 'hard boat' (cuddy? Bowrider? I'm unclear on the terminology..) that I may as well benefit from a galley etc. What am I missing in my thinking here? Cheers. Paul
Old 02 September 2017, 19:05   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...that I may as well benefit from a galley etc. What am I missing in my thinking here? Cheers. Paul
Well, I see the concern - but on the RIB you'll be eating lobster in Day's on 'Bofin instead of boiling a bag of pasta in Roundstone roads.

RIBs are all about "get there quickly, get off when you arrive"
Old 02 September 2017, 19:14   #34

Quote:
Well, I see the concern - but on the RIB you'll be eating lobster in Day's on 'Bofin instead of boiling a bag of pasta in Roundstone roads.

RIBs are all about "get there quickly, get off when you arrive"

[emoji106] gottit - top advice thanks. My missus is certainly more the chef's lobster than the boiling pan pasta type. Now you mention it, I don't see her rolling around about down below - particularly with an amateur on the wheel up top. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji20]
Old 02 September 2017, 21:02   #35

Pre-owned Boats - Redbay Boats
6.5 £22k 8.4 for £30k

This looks interesting http://www.redbayboats.com/product/rib-x/
Old 02 September 2017, 22:23   #36

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Everyone on here will have their view and give you their personal advice on what to spend your 30k budget on....usually based on what they would spend the money on themselves!... and thence their needs

If you really have to ask other people's advice on what to Buy....I'd suggest you (more than probably) need some more "Hands on" Boat time and experience on the water.....to see what suits you ..your type of Boating AND you're Family needs.
By all means try to Trial a range of Boats with different layouts...configuration...engine sizes...Sea keeping ect....most owners have been through the same process and would be happy to give you a little Helm time if you fall in with thier plans.
Taking the Wife may...(or may not? ) be a good idea too!

The Boat show MAY be a good idea...but only really useful if you have already a general idea of what you want,Messaging members on here with Boats which may suit for a runout may pay dividends,as would Open days run by some manufacturers....where several models/sizes can be tried in one spot.
I know people like Ribcraft..Redbay...Osprey..and several Others do this.
A little pre planning and a few PM's before an event like round Anglsey or Isle of White would I'm sure yield a few different Boats to Helm and tryout in the course of a day or two.
I'd say stick to British Isles makers...generally better made/designed for our conditions ...with better residual value IMO
Anyway Good luck with the Hunt,and try to enjoy!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2017, 22:57   #37

Ah, yes. I'd better be quick buying in
Stirling.
Old 02 September 2017, 22:59   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Everyone on here will have their view and give you their personal advice on what to spend your 30k budget on....usually based on what they would spend the money on themselves!... and thence their needs

If you really have to ask other people's advice on what to Buy....I'd suggest you (more than probably) need some more "Hands on" Boat time and experience on the water.....to see what suits you ..your type of Boating AND you're Family needs.
By all means try to Trial a range of Boats with different layouts...configuration...engine sizes...Sea keeping ect....most owners have been through the same process and would be happy to give you a little Helm time if you fall in with thier plans.
Taking the Wife may...(or may not? ) be a good idea too!

The Boat show MAY be a good idea...but only really useful if you have already a general idea of what you want,Messaging members on here with Boats which may suit for a runout may pay dividends,as would Open days run by some manufacturers....where several models/sizes can be tried in one spot.
I know people like Ribcraft..Redbay...Osprey..and several Others do this.
A little pre planning and a few PM's before an event like round Anglsey or Isle of White would I'm sure yield a few different Boats to Helm and tryout in the course of a day or two.
I'd say stick to British Isles makers...generally better made/designed for our conditions ...with better residual value IMO
Anyway Good luck with the Hunt,and try to enjoy!

Yes: best not rush in my eagerness. [emoji106][emoji109][emoji108]
Old 02 September 2017, 23:43   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Pre-owned Boats - Redbay Boats
6.5 £22k 8.4 for £30k

This looks interesting http://www.redbayboats.com/product/rib-x/

Ooh, yes. Some interesting boats there.
Old 03 September 2017, 09:27   #40

Thoughts on this BRIG 6m, anyone? 2014 BRIG Navigator 610 RIB Boat - 2015 Evinrude E115hp H.O. - PX Welcome | eBay

Thanks for folks' continued input.