Old 05 September 2017, 10:22   #81

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Hi just a quick rant ........I have obviously sinned in my time and purchased a LEISURE RIB of the dangerous variety. As I am sure that most of us use a rib for pleasure/leisure I can't understand the general attitude of the Commercial /Industrial rib owners towards leisure ribs. Does the heavy duty variety have any advantages? I can see plenty of disadvantages ie not as pretty to look at, not as user friendly if you want to picnic or relax in fact not very user friendly at all. Perhaps I do not go for extreme journeys where I need dry suits and therefore don't understand the finer detail and benefits of the heavy duty type rib. I bought my boat for relaxing pleasure which could also be what other people may want and I think when new people to ribbing want advice they should not be shunned because they want a more family friendly craft - Rib Eye, Cobra, Ballistic, Avon, Zodiac etc.
Old 05 September 2017, 10:31   #82

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
Hi just a quick rant ........I have obviously sinned in my time and purchased a LEISURE RIB of the dangerous variety. As I am sure that most of us use a rib for pleasure/leisure I can't understand the general attitude of the Commercial /Industrial rib owners towards leisure ribs. Does the heavy duty variety have any advantages? I can see plenty of disadvantages ie not as pretty to look at, not as user friendly if you want to picnic or relax in fact not very user friendly at all. Perhaps I do not go for extreme journeys where I need dry suits and therefore don't understand the finer detail and benefits of the heavy duty type rib. I bought my boat for relaxing pleasure which could also be what other people may want and I think when new people to ribbing want advice they should not be shunned because they want a more family friendly craft - Rib Eye, Cobra, Ballistic, Avon, Zodiac etc.
For me, the baseline assumption is that the RIB handles appropriate conditions (in my case UK & Ireland). I'm looking for a leisure RIB (cup holders, bench seating, storage, etc.) that doesn't compromise safety / handling. I'm hoping that's a realistic expectation. Otherwise, not concerned by its name, colour, "credibility".
Old 05 September 2017, 10:51   #83

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb33 View Post
For me, the baseline assumption is that the RIB handles appropriate conditions (in my case UK & Ireland). I'm looking for a leisure RIB (cup holders, bench seating, storage, etc.) that doesn't compromise safety / handling. I'm hoping that's a realistic expectation. Otherwise, not concerned by its name, colour, "credibility".
I'd imagine considering your description of your crew that the limiting factor will be the crews desire to be safely back onshore long before the conditions get dangerous or untenable for a leisure rib. I know the weather can change but I'd imagine you'd be aware of the change and head back long before you reach the limits of even a leisure rib.
Even a perceived "poor" handling rib will actually take most reasonably new to boating people beyond their comfort zone in perfect safety
Old 05 September 2017, 13:04   #84

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
I'd imagine considering your description of your crew that the limiting factor will be the crews desire to be safely back onshore long before the conditions get dangerous or untenable for a leisure rib. I know the weather can change but I'd imagine you'd be aware of the change and head back long before you reach the limits of even a leisure rib.
Even a perceived "poor" handling rib will actually take most reasonably new to boating people beyond their comfort zone in perfect safety
That's why he should get on the water and Try some!....that or chance to luck!
...Could be another long runner this

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2017, 13:20   #85

New boat - advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
That's why he should get on the water and Try some!....that or chance to luck!
...Could be another long runner this

I was planning getting educated online whilst not on the water. Signal is poor in the channel and typing's difficult in swell. [emoji106]
Old 05 September 2017, 13:37   #86

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
I was planning getting educated online whilst not on the water. Signal is poor in the channel and typing's difficult in swell. [emoji106]
Switch to Vodafone i get 4G all the way across
Old 05 September 2017, 13:38   #87

New boat - advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Switch to Vodafone i get 4G all the way across

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I lose it end of Penarth pier [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 05 September 2017, 14:03   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
I think you are spot on, pretty much any RIB will out perform the average helmsman in anything but horrendous conditions (where the average helmsman should not be)

FOr family use any half decent boat and motor combo is fine, just dress appropriately, wear a kill cord, have life jackets and a radio (know how to use it) and some flares in a box, a full tank of fuel and a nice picnic and go have a lovely time. If the weather isnt great go do something else!

Yes it can change but with a decent coat and some goggles you'll be back in the harbour before the worst of it.
Old 05 September 2017, 14:19   #89

Quote:
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I lose it end of Penarth pier [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just checked 3G mid channel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4185.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	121674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4186.PNG
Views:	114
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	121675  
Old 05 September 2017, 14:55   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Just checked 3G mid channel

Fantastic: I often "work from home" [emoji23][emoji41]
Old 05 September 2017, 15:08   #91

Quote:
Fantastic: I often "work from home" [emoji23][emoji41]
need a poster of your office wall to hang on the A frame
Old 05 September 2017, 16:39   #92
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Depends what you mean by performance. In the rough most people would agree the redbay is the winner, but that is not directly because of it's width.

Slightly controversially I would suggest for YOUR use the ribeye or Humber is possibly better than the redbay. The redbay will look after you well and be capable in conditions you won't even contemplate going out in. The reality is the others will get you safely too and fro in weather you currently think is bad.

If I was going to go redbay in your shoes it would be for something with a shelter as the family will be much more willing to use it in poor WX and so you will get better value from it. The downside there is only the most refined of the fairer sex look at a canopy or cabin redbay and think it looks better than the ribeye.
Old 05 September 2017, 16:47   #93

New boat - advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Depends what you mean by performance. In the rough most people would agree the redbay is the winner, but that is not directly because of it's width.

Slightly controversially I would suggest for YOUR use the ribeye or Humber is possibly better than the redbay. The redbay will look after you well and be capable in conditions you won't even contemplate going out in. The reality is the others will get you safely too and fro in weather you currently think is bad.

If I was going to go redbay in your shoes it would be for something with a shelter as the family will be much more willing to use it in poor WX and so you will get better value from it. The downside there is only the most refined of the fairer sex look at a canopy or cabin redbay and think it looks better than the ribeye.

Thanks, Poly. Key to this, I think, is the understanding that we will ALWAYS err on the side of extreme caution with weather. We will not (knowingly) go out if there's risk. That's not to say that we won't get a tough boat to reduce risk (hence Humber or RibEye on the list) but that we're not going to necessarily need the TOUGHEST of boats. This becomes relevant when considering practicalities such as storage and towing, where the "lesser" boats have important advantages (such as fitting in my carport).

(Apologies to all, for a long thread from a naive newbie. [emoji849])
Old 05 September 2017, 17:10   #94

Quote:
Thanks, Poly. Key to this, I think, is the understanding that we will ALWAYS err on the side of extreme caution with weather. We will not (knowingly) go out if there's risk.
Extreme caution
Old 05 September 2017, 17:45   #95

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

But to be fair, a mix of theory & practical goes a long way. By all means do your research as you are, but you need to actually get out on a boat or 2 to realise what the words mean.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 September 2017, 17:48   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
But to be fair, a mix of theory & practical goes a long way. By all means do your research as you are, but you need to actually get out on a boat or 2 to realise what the words mean.

[emoji106]
Old 05 September 2017, 18:27   #97

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
When you measure beam to get in your garage don't forget the trailer. Dependent on how the trailer sits you may find the wheels are wider than the tube. Wouldn't be the first time it's sat on the drive cos it won't fit
Old 05 September 2017, 18:47   #98

Quote:
[emoji106]
And not just the Type Make of RIB/Hull.to suit you're type of Boating (which might well change/expand when you become more confident!)Size is a major factor in the comfort levels for Helm and especially Crew.
...Also Power Plant / performance /handleing to suit you're needs /seating /Layout / Cofiguration / Space you need / Load carirying /Fuel Tank size /Range/and not forgetting ancillary Equipment!
..,All things to consider before you commit....and IMO best tried out in real time ..."hands on"with water time!..
With a family to consider as well at least some of it should include them

Old 05 September 2017, 18:50   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
When you measure beam to get in your garage don't forget the trailer. Dependent on how the trailer sits you may find the wheels are wider than the tube. Wouldn't be the first time it's sat on the drive cos it won't fit
Yep!...Got to get you're prioritys right!...All fails ...Build a Bigger Garage!!

Old 05 September 2017, 20:58   #100
Spammer

Town: Stirling
Boat name: Macaw
Make: Parker 750 CC
Length: 7m +
Engine: VERADO 300XL OB
Cabin boat/rib

I think Poly hit the nail on the head early in the posts.

I would not discount having a look at the Parker Poland 660 hard boat.
We started in a Humber 5mtr then moved to a 6.1 Redbay c/w 150hp & after doing a round Scotland the wife said to me, new boat or you’re on your own! It would have been cheaper to get a new wife but ordered a 7mtr Redbay wraparound canopy c/w 240hp. Redbay 6.1 & 6.5 are as good a hull as you will get but taking the family out in a force 6/7 & that could be the last of your family boating days. I have had RIBing days when I have put foot on dry land & said never again. Protection a cabin boat makes is unbelievable. Just having a coffee & some food in the dry makes it all more enjoyable for all.

All the best Callum.