Old 07 November 2015, 04:03   #41

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Hi Yabadabadoo. Perhaps you can give me some tips. If you know of any events or opportunities to go out with an experienced user, please let me know. I won't be going out for a while yet until I get licenced and insured (still need a motor) and radio and gear and understand the tides and how to navigate.

Old 07 November 2015, 04:37   #42

Town: London
Make: Hon wave 3.2 IE
Engine: Mercury 15hp
I think this collective wisdom exceeds mine http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...e-tidal-Thames have a look at a thread I commented on about Marlow, its Thames but non tidal, very pretty too and easy in/out
Old 08 November 2015, 13:53   #43

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Consider a RYA powerboat course. I did mine in RIBS and SIBS.
Old 08 November 2015, 15:24   #44

Town: Cardiff
Make: Avon
Engine: 2 stroke
I'm loving this thread,Good luck to you Firstrib, i suggest you do an RYA PB2 and VHF course (if going coastal) as soon as you can (before you buy the engine if possible).

Where will you keep the motor when not in use? In the garden? Have you read this thread weight of 20HP outboard

HOw much have you got budgeted for a motor?
Old 08 November 2015, 16:23   #45

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Hi, thanks HDAV and all who have helped me since my purchase just last Sunday! I have enrolled onto a RYA VHF radio course online (yesterday) and take my exam on 13 December with Sea Training Sussex.

I will do a RYA Powerboat course, it's just one thing at a time as I can afford it. Still looking at the motor and friends and family know what to give me money towards for Christmas now. Then life jackets, then insurance, then licence on Thames. I won't be going on the Thames anytime soon.

I am looking at a budget of around 500 for a motor. I have seen one looks good, very old from 1986 but in great almost new type condition and a Yamaha. Does a motor of this age differ hugely to a more modern 2 stroke? If anyone knows the difference or this age of Yamaha, please let me know.
Old 08 November 2015, 16:31   #46

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Well it's all about the budget available but nearly 30yr old outboards can be troublesome with seized bolts making some routine tasks a bit of a disaster and perhaps failing elec ign units/coils etc.

However I've had a few outboards of this era and been lucky with very little trouble. In truth it's a real gamble which can be largely avoided if you were able to double that budget and go for a well maintained and little used motor around 1999-2004.
Old 08 November 2015, 16:50   #47

Course is great fun, get it booked, VHF (unless your used to this sort of thing) isnt easy....... wrong time of year for playing but good time of year for bargains. Are you mechanically minded and know your way round an engine? 2stroke designs have changed a huge amount i don't think, but there will be changes over the years. older engines that have perhaps been laid up for a number of years and perhaps weren't cared for that well in storage may well cost more in parts to fix than they are worth. Yamaha and Mariner (rebadged yamaha for US market) have a very good reputation but that keeps prices up. Less popular makes or less well known brands are cheaper but getting parts can be tricky.

Over budget but this looks like a rather tidy motor and would push the boat along nicely some motors the 15/20/25 are same base motor just different carbs

EDIT: The DT15 is an uprated 9.9 motor but still weighs nearly 40kg!
https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-wate...5hp/1140564992
Old 08 November 2015, 17:39   #48

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
That's a really good call HDAV. Suzukis are little different from Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury but often fetch less so good deals. OK it's a way from London but as an example I'd stretch the extra 250 to get that. Possible even a profit in it if not suitable after a few trips... brought back to the London area and sold next May you could ask more.
Old 08 November 2015, 18:17   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
That's a really good call HDAV. Suzukis are little different from Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury but often fetch less so good deals. OK it's a way from London but as an example I'd stretch the extra 250 to get that. Possible even a profit in it if not suitable after a few trips... brought back to the London area and sold next May you could ask more.
It looks mint and has had plenty of new parts fitted according to advert, still not sure it would fit in a KA boot mind. But as a sib motor looks ideal and has all the bits you need. Bit of negotiation might get price down a touch too
Old 09 November 2015, 01:22   #50
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabadabadoo View Post
Someone with some more experience ought to mention that the Thames happens to have VERY strong currents and loads of traffic , not ideal for a beginner and not ideal for a small SIB/RIB. Doable, but not ideal, perhaps even dangerous.
Someone did, albeit briefly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
The tidal Thames through London isn't somewhere I would advise a novice takes a small RIB or SIB. Ferocious tides. Speed limit. Lots of commercial traffic.

He's right too. It's not a benign piece of water by any means. It's perfectly doable, but potentially very unforgiving if things go wrong.

Further up on the tidal Thames is less tricky, particularly between Richmond and Teddington which is a great place for SIBing.

Quote:
Also check regs/docs required with your friendly water police, I'm sure you'll get to meet them one way or another

None required on the Thames below Teddington.

Tags
rib