Old 24 January 2016, 05:55   #141

Town: Fulham
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Unrelated, but this video makes me laugh - especially the unlawful towing - just shows you what is possible with the Aerotec!

Old 24 January 2016, 05:56   #142

Old 24 January 2016, 06:31   #143

Another question - I have an 8" tablet running Navionics Boating HD in a waterproof which is good but need to fix it to the seat or hand hold, any ideas rather than taping so I can get it at the right angle in the sunlight to see the screen?
Old 24 January 2016, 07:15   #144

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
24kts and no spray... that's worked out a good combo.

Re bow rope I always check it's pulled tight inside the boat and tied off before getting under way.

Yep I like the scooter towing too... we are taking a 2wk holiday for the second year running in a place that's amazing for SIB use but the only tiny downside is to hide the SIB away means pulling it up a short hill to the cottage garden. It's a very quiet road and I'm tempted to get the Mrs to drive and I'll sit in the estate loadspace with the tailgate up and holding onto the bow handle.

Re the "right" side to sit. Personal choice of course but I always sit the other side to you... i.e. on the starboard tube. My reasons are that with the outboard tiller on port side sitting starboard you are sitting upright travelling straight ahead and when pulling the tiller towards your body isn't in the way. Then on an extreme starboard turn you are leaning into the boat towards the C of G as you push the tiller over.

If you are already sitting to port and need to do a sharp starboard turn you are in the way of the tiller and tend to shift/lean away to pull it round risking unbalancing backwards into the water.

Also if you are helming when it cuts up rough and need to move to kneel on the floor the tiller is in the way if you start from the port tube.

Re tablet... any ideas from these images...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ta...1gDu4Q_AUIBygC
Old 24 January 2016, 07:20   #145

Fenlander. Very very good points, thank you. I will try the Starboard seat and build my left arm muscles.
Old 24 January 2016, 07:24   #146

I will tie off the bow rope going forward.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:32   #147

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yes, the which side to sit is an old chestnut on here but general consensus (by no means universal) is pilot from the starboard tube. Most OB's are designed for use on the SB side, this is the way the RNLI have always taught it in there SIB's (and as finlander states you need to do it this wat when kneeling in the V, again all RNLI SIB's are generally helmed this way) and the tiller is much better positioned that way, the throttle also rotates the correct way if you're used to a motorbike throttle.
Old 24 January 2016, 09:38   #148

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstrib View Post
Another question - I have an 8" tablet running Navionics Boating HD in a waterproof which is good but need to fix it to the seat or hand hold, any ideas rather than taping so I can get it at the right angle in the sunlight to see the screen?
You just need some sort of universal joint or make a simple bracket out of aluminium plate kind of related here:

Bombard Aerotec ready for the maiden voyage (b@stard son of a Y Class)

I'd highly recommend a fuel bladder too, frees up a lot of space. And a tiller extension so you can get your weight further forward.

Old 24 January 2016, 10:11   #149

Your 'front rope' (painter) dropping in the water is a very common occurrence. As a result you should make it just short enough it can't foul the prop. Put a spliced eye in the end and carry additional line which can have a sheetbend used to attach it to the painter
Old 14 February 2016, 16:46   #150

More Thames trips

Hello, the Thames (4th) adventure was on Saturday, Fulham to Richmond again, with the excitement of Richmond Lock and the PLA lock keeper on Channel 80. There were lots of rowers including Oxford University preparing for the Oxford and Cambridge boat race.

I do now begin to accept why most people don't go out in the winter time, it took 1.5 hours to warm up when moored at Richmond.

Only two mishaps this time, dropped the wheel key right in the middle of the Thames for the Bombard Aerotec 380 (has a slight spiral angle to the thread) and can't find a replacement for my 2001 model. The genuine part has a different thread on it (straight non angled thread) - so if anyone has any ideas for a replacement. I did an excellent repair with a clamp (see photo).

The second mishap was a careless one, running the prop aground at Richmond, so took a chunk out of it, only a small one, so now two chunks - question, is this ok for now or serious - see picture.

Piloting from starboard side now, it does seem better, the only thing is that my left arm is not as strong as my right and against the current, the tiller pulled to the port side quite strongly and it felt a battle to control it on this trip, I found myself pulling it strongly to starboard to keep on course at speed, the floor was not quite sitting correctly and I wonder if that was the reason, or the chipped prop - any ideas on this one?

Got a nice camcorder case to hold the battery which I now disconnect for safety and only use for lights and the occasional electric start.

I have also planned the place for the light pole on the starboard side over the metal plate, just an inch or so for the pole avoiding the wheel movements and tiller.

I am now looking for somewhere to moor overnight on a Saturday as the set up and take down same day is a bit much, any ideas welcome around the Fulham/Chelsea area.

Are you getting out this time of the year or preparing for Spring?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	110773   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	110774   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	78