Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 07 September 2005, 08:33   #301

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
I wasn't trying to cast any aspersions against the rally at all.

I just thought it was funny that you posted a picture of a boat load of non lifejacket wearers which to all intense and purposes represented an example of the rally and then later on discuss how responsible you were.

Also the url posted to the rally pictures also shows boats where people aren't wearing LJ's.

It is probably an isolated picture and as I say I just found it funny!

Mark
Old 07 September 2005, 08:36   #302

Town: Essex
Boat name: FreshMeat
Make: Selva 660
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225
appologies

sorry mark thought it was a dig!

That picture was from the return trip and was just outside Deauville Harbour so not part of the rally. but we put on our waterproofs and lifejackets just after that picture!
Old 07 September 2005, 08:49   #303

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Yessir, Me, Jono, and Garfish are all going to enter.....

jonathan

Eupa...I'm also going to do the whole thing next year. I'm really glad you and Jono are going to do it. It was a huge regret for me having to turn back at Gravesend to take people back to London...I would have loved to have gone over.

It's fantastic that you want to become part of this rally next year, and please let me offer any assistance I can to you, like mooring you boat on the Thames beforehand etc.

I'm also really pleased Jono is up for it as well.

Great news that you have become so enthused about it!
Old 07 September 2005, 09:06   #304

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Well, it’s finally happened!

We are proud to announce the biggest non-event ever will be held next year. Now is your chance to live it up with the rich and famous… well .... some people you may have heard of who are related to someone who did something good. When I say related, obviously I don’t mean directly related. Look! They once went out with someone who slept with the servant of a chap who “did something good”.. Is that near enough? No matter.. it will be a very Glitzy event with people "helicoptering" in from all over the World to the launch party…when I say “helicoptering” obviously I don’t mean that literally… the number 9 bus stop is directly outside our venue for easy access.
It will be your chance to leave your boring little lives and join us smug bastards in a place where the poor people can’t get. Actually, being rich is not necessary, as long as your father was a Colonel and your mother was a horse. All true blue bloods will have their fees refunded.
The challenge will be awesome! We will set off from the River Severn (just above the old vinegar factory at Stourport) and make our way majestically down river under the adoring gaze of the on looking peasants before we burst out into the open, but ever so slightly brown, waters of the Bristol Channel. From here we will race headlong to Weston Super Mare where we will throw another extravagant party at Mrs Muffin’s Tea-rooms on the promenade. Expect it to be a wild night of mixing with the stars, debauchery and fish suppers.?
Are Welsh people allowed to go on this
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 09:21   #305

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Are Welsh people allowed to go on this
...as I know you can trace your ancestory back to Owain Glyndwr, I rather think you might not cut a dash with the English Gentry that will, no doubt, be clamouring to attend.... on the other hand if your good lady asks me, I'll be sure to invite you both. A genuine Viking would be a considerable asset to such an affair...
Old 07 September 2005, 09:24   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by eupa
Yessir, Me, Jono, and Garfish are all going to enter.....

Surprising another new member at the end of the season.

jonathan
You never mentioned that unhinged lunatic.... or gArf.....
Old 07 September 2005, 09:25   #307

Town: Chelsea
Boat name: Cincimino
Make: Aqua Star
Engine: 150 petrol
How dare you!!!

I am real!!! I'm very upset that not everyone thinks I exist. I might be new to ribs but I'm still a real girl. I can't answer any of those complicated technical questions but I'll try with any other questions.
I think the general train of thought on the rally is that it was excellent fun but, as with any new venture, it had a few minor creases which hopefully will be ironed out by next year. Having said that, the mild unpredicability of the course of the event only added excitement and taught us a lot about handling different situations. The organisers never meant to mislead anyone but might have come across as overly enthusiastic which has obviously brushed a few people up the wrong way, but whatever your views on the event, there's no denying it was a success (even if it was a little by the skin of our teeth!)
Jono - calm down love, its only a discussion forum.
xxx
Old 07 September 2005, 09:32   #308

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Indigo Blue
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 250 outboard
Well it seems quite clear that this bitterness towards the rally has stemmed from some personal vendetta with Rupert. So, instead of trying to throw your hate at this event, why not (those who feel bitter) open a new thread entitled "Personal vendettas".
As a neutral person on this thread I would say that yes, the rally was smaller than it made out to be - but then again it is a first year event. Sounds like everyone who participated enjoyed themselves and so next year will most likely see a considerable growth.
Some of the more angry customers on this thread perhaps need apologizing to from a certain person as they clearly are very angry and not to be meddled with.

"Geraniums are meerly prostitutes to the bees"
Old 07 September 2005, 09:37   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib_babe
Jono - calm down love, its only a discussion forum.
xxx
Calm? this IS me being calm.... As for you not being real? That was only Eupa... and I'm sure that's just 'cause that Belgian beer has affected his perception of reality... ain't that so Jonathan.. I mean how could you be so suspicious?
Old 07 September 2005, 09:56   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson
Well it seems quite clear that this bitterness towards the rally
I will repeat, yet again, that I have absolutely nothing against the Rally or Ed. My post was just an attempt at mocking the patronising garbage that was being posted. I appreciate my humour may not be taken as such by all
Old 07 September 2005, 10:40   #311

Jono,

What boat are you going to be entering for the 2006 Deauville Rally?
Old 07 September 2005, 10:47   #312
PJP

Town: LONDON
Boat name: TIGERFISH
Make: ZAPCAT
Length: 4m +
Engine: TOHATSU 50
hello to all

I participated in the Rally as pilot of one of the Zapcats. I found this site after a Google search last week. Obviously the negative comments posted here made me some what nervous about entering especially as we were by far the smallest craft participating. For what its worth I'd thought I'd share my comments and views on the event as an impartial observer.

As far as I was concerned the rally was organised and run by Ed, Duncan and Sarah of the Gumball team. Prior to the event we were reminded several times of the minimum safety and navigational equipment requirements. At the briefing we were reminded again about the importance of safety and the need for life jackets at all times.

Personally speaking we were fully prepared. A sailor since childhood (sorry), with significant passage making experience I understood the importance of preparation and safety. SSR listed, Tigerfish was laden down with safety gear (tough on a 4.2m boat) almost to exclusion of anything substantial in way of food (energy gels!).

The start was amazing. Although somewhat disappointed that more boats weren't participating we soon got into the groove following the pace boat with the PLO officer on board. A stop for photographs gave us an opportunity to meet the fellow rally participants and accept the offering of food from the 'Chelsea Girls' (who do exist)

As we left the pace boat I pulled up along side and was greeted by the PLO officer smiling broadly. He wished us luck (perhaps thinking that we were a little mad!). He certainly didn't have the demeanour of someone concerned about the conduct of the rally.

As we rounded to Ramsgate and then across the Channel were reassured by many of the other entrants as they offered to remain with us and help us (if necessary) at all times. The two Zapcats crossed with the Bladerunner who generously curtailed his speed to match ours. I have crossed the channel many times but I must say this was the most enjoyable.

The second day mirrored the first with several entrants offering to cruise with us. There was little hint of is perhaps the recognised Gumball sprit of 'every car for himself'

Arriving in Deauville battered and bruised I felt that the comradery of the event was heightened further. We then headed for the bar..

In summary - many lessons will and should be learnt from this event however at no time did I feel unsafe. Conditions helped - I've been in worse in the Southampton water. The entrants I spent time with were excellent boatman and great company. It was a shame about the Helicopter as a shot from above of the two Cats flying along either side of the Blade would look great on my wall. I for one will be entering next year (maybe not in the Cat - ouch) and from what I hear so will many others.
Old 07 September 2005, 10:50   #313

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
It dose sound like great fun, but at £900 a bout maybe not the best value!
When you consider some of the excellent cruses organized by members on this site!
May be the organizers should have a chat with the organizers of www.ribraid.com, now that looks a hell of a bash
Old 07 September 2005, 10:58   #314

I'm getting the feeling that the tide is turning....

I really hope that next year we will have plenty of forum members taking part.

I for one will provide as much support as I can with arrangements with getting on to the Thames (I'm a member of Hurlingham Yacht Club which has visitors moorings etc)

I'm especially excited that Eupa is considering taking part!
Old 07 September 2005, 11:04   #315

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Ive been following this thread for a while and im still not quite sure what your all argueing about if you like the idea of all this stuff then great - if you dont then unsubscribe from the thread and dont read anymore - you never know your blood pressure may drop and you might live longer

Anyway

Maybe im missing something here but if you wanted to join in on the fun without costing yourself £900 couldnt you just gate crash - i mean ok you might not get into the party at the end - but they cant stop you from being in the sea - can they ?

I would love to do a chanel crossing with loads of other varied boats it sounds like a great idea but at £900 what are you kidding me (thats a thousand miles of fuel in my boat) - whos got the fat pockets that all this cash is going into...

What do you get for £900 exactly ?

I expect it will have gone up in price next year aswel
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 11:32   #316

Town: Poole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
It dose sound like great fun, but at £900 a bout maybe not the best value!
When you consider some of the excellent cruses organized by members on this site!
May be the organizers should have a chat with the organizers of www.ribraid.com, now that looks a hell of a bash
And all for £30!

Nice web site as well

Mark
Old 07 September 2005, 12:01   #317
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
now that looks a hell of a bash

If you only do one event a year, do this one. A well organised three day event for £30 is exceptional value, but be advised that you will be a physical wreck come monday morning.

DM
Old 07 September 2005, 12:05   #318

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
If you only do one event a year, do this one. A well organised three day event for £30 is exceptional value, but be advised that you will be a physical wreck come monday morning.

DM
But why does it have to be sooooo far north - i live in cornwall its a hell of a trek up there by boat and still a long way if i tow.

Do people from the mainland usually go over by rib or ferry.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 September 2005, 12:25   #319
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
Do people from the mainland usually go over by rib or ferry.
We went by Rib from Holyhead in North Wales with a tea break in Peel on the Isle of Man. The journey took eleven hours because of bad weather and we didn't arrive at Bangors camoflaged harbour entrance until after dark. I may be wrong, but I think we were the only boat from England

It was well worth the long trip.

DM
Old 07 September 2005, 12:41   #320

Town: Newfoundland
We went to the 2004 event and flew over from UK (before we moved to Canada). Gail, the allround top woman organiser, arranged for us to get a ride on a very nice Scorp for the first day of the event and then we'd fallen in with a dodgy Irishman called Gavin who kindly offered to take us aboard his Hysucat! (Along with an even dodgier Irishman by the name of Jackeen )

All in all a great event, with tremendous camarardarie (sp) that didnt cost 900 quid to join. Much like the RB4 round Britain raid, the BIBOA Hebrides trip, East Coast Rivers, Scillies cruises, Thames Cruise, Rib.net Thames Cruz, Rib.net Plymouth gathering etc etc. Of course we had no exotic supermodels or parties in exclusive London clubs. Or Richard and Judy. But were we downhearted? No!