Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 October 2009, 07:04   #11
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Metoffice Forecast

MalinGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Storm force 10 veering northwesterly and decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.

HebridesGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Northwesterly storm force 10 decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.
____________________________________________

Currently safely berthed in the pub
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 08:23   #12
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
MalinGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Storm force 10 veering northwesterly and decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.

HebridesGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Northwesterly storm force 10 decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.
____________________________________________

Currently safely berthed in the pub
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Today's Weather Forcast
prevents Redbay's from going to sea.

Jeez some people can't help themselves from going off topic.
__________________

__________________
Baydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 08:45   #13
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
I don't understand the point of this thread. Owners of Redbay decide not to take people out in rough weather (poss due to health and safety regs or insurance?) so they're getting pulled for it? Nothing wrong with playing it safe as far as your passengers are concerned.
As for the weather, if Wincey Willis doesn't tell me then I'm fecked!
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 08:47   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Today's Weather Forcast
prevents Redbay's from going to sea.

Jeez some people can't help themselves from going off topic.
I don't think it is off topic to make it clear why the trip is cancelled (really crappy weather).

I doubt there is any boat where that weather for that distance would be "fun". The purpose of the trip is fun. Therefore it seems reasonable to me to postpone the trip.

If I had to go to sea today then redbay (and excalibur) would be on my list of boats to do it in.But if you don't need to go to sea today then surely noone would choose to do a 170 nm round trip in open sea? Or were you out today? If you were responsible for organising the trip would you have kept it on (bearing in mind that there will be a whole variety of experiences involved)?

On a more simple level I am guessing >75% of the boat would have backed out anyway with their skippers making that decision in which case it is possibly not ecconomical.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 11:33   #15
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread. Owners of Redbay decide not to take people out in rough weather (poss due to health and safety regs or insurance?) so they're getting pulled for it? Nothing wrong with playing it safe as far as your passengers are concerned.
As for the weather, if Wincey Willis doesn't tell me then I'm fecked!
Can't see the point in it either, the OP seems bit of a tool to be honest. Thats just my opinion though in the same way as Gaydreamer's opinion about Redbays is that they may be more at home in the sun.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 11:46   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Greenock
Boat name: Tagalong
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 14
I will bet some of the boys still went out today even if it the trip to ardbeg from cushendoll is off. Thats why there is a lack of redbay owners replying to this?!!?!?!?
__________________
Can I come too?!?!?!
Roger Marr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 18:01   #17
RIBnet supporter
 
donegaldan's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 175
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
North West Ireland

Today was one of the worst days in the north west Donegal.
Aranmore RNLI were scrambled to transfer patient from the island to the mainland for immediate ambulance pickup earlier today. Coasties decided not to loft a helo in the force 10 that was blowing, instead they tasked a Severn class lifeboat to do a mainland taxi run.

Now tell me, and this is open to everyone, including mr Daydreamer....
.... Who wants to actually be responsible for organizing a rib run when the rescue services are keeping all hatches battened down ?

Fair play to the redbay guys, takes more to call it off than to put people in a bad situation.
__________________
donegaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2009, 13:50   #18
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaldan View Post
Today was one of the worst days in the north west Donegal.
Aranmore RNLI were scrambled to transfer patient from the island to the mainland for immediate ambulance pickup earlier today. Coasties decided not to loft a helo in the force 10 that was blowing, instead they tasked a Severn class lifeboat to do a mainland taxi run.

Now tell me, and this is open to everyone, including mr Daydreamer....
.... Who wants to actually be responsible for organizing a rib run when the rescue services are keeping all hatches battened down ?

Fair play to the redbay guys, takes more to call it off than to put people in a bad situation.

You not go for a run off in the SR4 fella?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2009, 18:20   #19
RIBnet supporter
 
donegaldan's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 175
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
Wild sea horses

Aaaaa.... I've only spec'ed my boat to it's max HP of 50 and couldn't handle a F10. Now if I had over engined it and had a 60HP donkey.... Well maybe I'd be as brave as you :-)

On a side note. The taxi mission by the severn. Guy died earlier today.

Donegal dan
__________________
donegaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 October 2009, 05:23   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
Not to be put off by a little breeze on the west coast of Scotland especially when you consider that most of the boats travelling would have cabins.
Have you ever been in out in a little breeze of the west coast? The breeze saw all of the PO Ferries to Troon Cancelled, only 5 of the 25 routes that Calmac operate running, and freighters at anchor in the bays around Antrim not to mention a scatter of flights cancelled.

The majority of the boats on the 2006 cruise were open boats and there for the fun, not out for some endurance run to see who could piss the highest. Redbay made the right call based on the forecast.

We didnt head to Islay but went out for about 3 hours of messing about and a spot of lunch. The new 105 open boat did some playing in the seas and im sure the photos will be on the web site soon enough.

Oh by the way Roger Marr and I have been out in 68 knots of constant wind with sea state Very High on the West Coast for over 3 hours in a Redbay.....as it says on the tin - when you must go to sea .
ATB
Andy
__________________

__________________
Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.