Old 02 October 2009, 18:16   #1

Town: Cork
Boat name: Kilise
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 350hp
Redbay ardbeg 2009 -cancelled due to poor weather forecast

ARDBEG 2009 -CANCELLED DUE TO POOR WEATHER FORECAST

.................................................. .........................................

This must be the third year in a row.

I thought that Redbay Boats were made of better things.
Not to be put off by a little breeze on the west coast of Scotland especially when you consider that most of the boats travelling would have cabins.

If they had to endure the crap that get's chucked at us on the south west coast of Ireland jeez they'd never go boating...cabin or no cabin.

Could it be that maybe, just maybe Redbay's are more at home in sunshine.

Old 02 October 2009, 18:30   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Baydreamer,

I've just had a text from Malin Head MRCC forecasting a F10 in the North Channel tomorrow, the date of the canceled trip. The L3 course I was booked on has been cancelled on sheltered waters due to the horrendous WX.

Would your professional advice be to take a group of 20-30 boats (many open 6.5s) on a 80Nm round trip in those conditions?

I appreciate that desperate sales situations call for desperate marketing techniques, but your post smacks of the kind of shite* generally dished out by Timw.

Old 02 October 2009, 18:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Baydreamer,

I appreciate that desperate sales situations call for desperate marketing techniques, but your post smacks of the kind of shite* generally dished out by Timw.

What the f$$k is that supposed to mean especially when I was only asking a question.

For you information of which it is none of your business but I have no commercial interest in the marine industry.

But it pi$$es me off when I hear all this bullshit about using Redbay's "When you must go to sea"
Old 02 October 2009, 18:44   #4

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
i was heading down to the Exeter MET ofiice on saturday until they sent me this

Dear Sir
We are looking forward to seeing you on Saturday 3rd October, howeverI'm afraid that the weather conditions are not looking particularlyfavourable for flying. We recommend that if you are intending to flydown you might want to look into alternative forms of transport. You canof course keep up to date with the weather situation via the GeneralAviation Briefing service. http://secure.metoffice.com/logon.jsp Saturday 3rd October 2009 + Southern areas starting mainly dry but rather cloudy - somebright/sunny intervals in the SE. + Outbreaks of rain overnight across northern and central parts, locheavy northern/ NW areas, becoming lighter/ patchy as moves SE - notreaching the extreme SE until well into the day. + Clearer/brighter weather with blustery showers into the far NWovernight spreading SE to most areas. + Showers mainly in exposed N+W areas, a few extending south and east + later Showers heavy /squally across N areas and may turn wintry overScottish hills later.+ Cloud and loc heavy rain probably slower to clear from N.Isles. + Generally very windy, notably more so than recently. Gales likely innorthern and central parts. Low-mod risk severe gale gusts in exposed NWand later the NE - could become very gusty in NE England (lee effects). + A milder night, offset by wind/rain. Maxima near normal in central/ + southern areas but turning rather cold in N, feeling colder in wind
Old 02 October 2009, 18:52   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baydreamer View Post
What the f$$k is that supposed to mean especially when I was only asking a question.
Let me clarify: It means that I think you are possibly on the beer and posting guff. Do feel free to justify your OP comments though, i.e. would you recommend taking a fleet of ribs to Ireland to the Hebrides and back in a (forecasted) F10?

Good to see that you keep a close eye on their website though, even though it pi$$es you off.
Old 02 October 2009, 19:11   #6

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
"desperate sales situations call for desperate marketing techniques"

For you information of which it is none of your business but I have no commercial interest in the marine industry.

But it pi$$es me off when I hear all this bullshit about using Redbay's "When you must go to sea"
So if a F10 was forecast you'd happily go to sea?
It would be irresponsible to encourage anyone to go to sea in them conditions.
Old 02 October 2009, 20:10   #7

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
think nowadays with all the risk assesment stuff they are covering themselves ,,perhaps echos of the illfated fastnet yacht race in the 1970s ,
Old 02 October 2009, 20:15   #8

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
or look at it another way ,,better to be on land wishing you were out at sea, than being out at sea wishing you were on land .
Old 02 October 2009, 20:40   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Calm it gents .. I wouldnt be keen to do so much with that kind of forecast .. Its supposed to be FUN .. now .. remember there will be another time if it doesnt suit everyone
Old 03 October 2009, 10:55   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Calm it gents .. I wouldnt be keen to do so much with that kind of forecast .. Its supposed to be FUN .. now .. remember there will be another time if it doesnt suit everyone
Well said BZ,Redbay and Excalibur ribs both have excellent rough weather reputations,and I for one was most impressed with the RB 650 I saw at this years SBS, BUT in a Ball's out competion with the OL BRINEY there can only be one winner! Force 10!?.. Better off on Ribnet!Always[hopefully] another day!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 October 2009, 11:04   #11
RIBnet Supporter

Metoffice Forecast

MalinGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Storm force 10 veering northwesterly and decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.

HebridesGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Northwesterly storm force 10 decreasing severe gale force 9 soon
Shipping forecast1130 Sat 03 OctWindWest or northwest 7 to severe gale 9, occasionally storm 10 at first, decreasing 4.Sea StateVery rough or high, occasionally very high at first.WeatherSqually showers.VisibilityGood, occasionally poor at first.

Currently safely berthed in the pub
Old 03 October 2009, 12:23   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
MalinGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Storm force 10 veering northwesterly and decreasing severe gale force 9 soon

HebridesGale warning0323 Sat 03 Oct Northwesterly storm force 10 decreasing severe gale force 9 soon

Currently safely berthed in the pub
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Today's Weather Forcast
prevents Redbay's from going to sea.

Jeez some people can't help themselves from going off topic.
Old 03 October 2009, 12:45   #13
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I don't understand the point of this thread. Owners of Redbay decide not to take people out in rough weather (poss due to health and safety regs or insurance?) so they're getting pulled for it? Nothing wrong with playing it safe as far as your passengers are concerned.
As for the weather, if Wincey Willis doesn't tell me then I'm fecked!
Old 03 October 2009, 12:47   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Today's Weather Forcast
prevents Redbay's from going to sea.

Jeez some people can't help themselves from going off topic.
I don't think it is off topic to make it clear why the trip is cancelled (really crappy weather).

I doubt there is any boat where that weather for that distance would be "fun". The purpose of the trip is fun. Therefore it seems reasonable to me to postpone the trip.

If I had to go to sea today then redbay (and excalibur) would be on my list of boats to do it in.But if you don't need to go to sea today then surely noone would choose to do a 170 nm round trip in open sea? Or were you out today? If you were responsible for organising the trip would you have kept it on (bearing in mind that there will be a whole variety of experiences involved)?

On a more simple level I am guessing >75% of the boat would have backed out anyway with their skippers making that decision in which case it is possibly not ecconomical.
Old 03 October 2009, 15:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
I don't understand the point of this thread. Owners of Redbay decide not to take people out in rough weather (poss due to health and safety regs or insurance?) so they're getting pulled for it? Nothing wrong with playing it safe as far as your passengers are concerned.
As for the weather, if Wincey Willis doesn't tell me then I'm fecked!
Can't see the point in it either, the OP seems bit of a tool to be honest. Thats just my opinion though in the same way as Gaydreamer's opinion about Redbays is that they may be more at home in the sun.
Old 03 October 2009, 15:46   #16

Town: Greenock
Boat name: Tagalong
Length: no boat
I will bet some of the boys still went out today even if it the trip to ardbeg from cushendoll is off. Thats why there is a lack of redbay owners replying to this?!!?!?!?
Old 03 October 2009, 22:01   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
North West Ireland

Today was one of the worst days in the north west Donegal.
Aranmore RNLI were scrambled to transfer patient from the island to the mainland for immediate ambulance pickup earlier today. Coasties decided not to loft a helo in the force 10 that was blowing, instead they tasked a Severn class lifeboat to do a mainland taxi run.

Now tell me, and this is open to everyone, including mr Daydreamer....
.... Who wants to actually be responsible for organizing a rib run when the rescue services are keeping all hatches battened down ?

Fair play to the redbay guys, takes more to call it off than to put people in a bad situation.
Old 04 October 2009, 17:50   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donegaldan View Post
Today was one of the worst days in the north west Donegal.
Aranmore RNLI were scrambled to transfer patient from the island to the mainland for immediate ambulance pickup earlier today. Coasties decided not to loft a helo in the force 10 that was blowing, instead they tasked a Severn class lifeboat to do a mainland taxi run.

Now tell me, and this is open to everyone, including mr Daydreamer....
.... Who wants to actually be responsible for organizing a rib run when the rescue services are keeping all hatches battened down ?

Fair play to the redbay guys, takes more to call it off than to put people in a bad situation.

You not go for a run off in the SR4 fella?
Old 04 October 2009, 22:20   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Donegal
Boat name: Deep Six
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 4/stroke
Send a message via Skype™ to donegaldan
Wild sea horses

Aaaaa.... I've only spec'ed my boat to it's max HP of 50 and couldn't handle a F10. Now if I had over engined it and had a 60HP donkey.... Well maybe I'd be as brave as you :-)

On a side note. The taxi mission by the severn. Guy died earlier today.

Donegal dan
Old 05 October 2009, 09:23   #20

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Not to be put off by a little breeze on the west coast of Scotland especially when you consider that most of the boats travelling would have cabins.
Have you ever been in out in a little breeze of the west coast? The breeze saw all of the PO Ferries to Troon Cancelled, only 5 of the 25 routes that Calmac operate running, and freighters at anchor in the bays around Antrim not to mention a scatter of flights cancelled.

The majority of the boats on the 2006 cruise were open boats and there for the fun, not out for some endurance run to see who could piss the highest. Redbay made the right call based on the forecast.

We didnt head to Islay but went out for about 3 hours of messing about and a spot of lunch. The new 105 open boat did some playing in the seas and im sure the photos will be on the web site soon enough.

Oh by the way Roger Marr and I have been out in 68 knots of constant wind with sea state Very High on the West Coast for over 3 hours in a Redbay.....as it says on the tin - when you must go to sea .
ATB
Andy