Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 January 2017, 09:09   #1

Length: 10m +
Which would you rather ride in? 2.5 rib 3.1 sib?

All things considered, weight, storage, convience, blah, blah, blah......

All I really care about is... I want to go exploring in the most fun boat I can fit.

It comes down to:
3.1 zodiac cadet aluminium floor sib with 15 hp
Or
2.5 zodiac cadet comact rib with 8 hp

I think the best way to put the question to you is..... Which would your rather ride in for 2,3,4 hours exploring some remote cove, river, coast?

There are lots of little things like setup and storage and weight..... I don't care. All I want to know is, which one would be the most fun. Pretend like someone else is doing all the work and tell me which one you would rather ride in.

I am 100kg, my wife 70 kg. Occasional 3rd person of 100kg but not that often. Tender for sailing yacht. Focus on fun ride and exploring.

Please lets not get side tracked with other options. What we are trying to get at here is..... is a 2.5 rib with 8 hp better than a 3.1 sib with 15 hp. Speed, ride characteristics?

Thanks guys, great forum.
Dave
Old 27 January 2017, 10:53   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
dave i owned a zodiac 310 solid with a 15 johnson 2 smoke i am a big lad and that boat was as far down in size i would want to go it performed realy well and was great fun you only want two crew though too cramped for any more for long periods.but i guess the odd third person will be no big deal
Old 27 January 2017, 11:06   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Three people? Coastal use?

Neither are ideal. 3.4m minimum with a 15 would be preferable.

Sorry, you say don't get sidetracked but it's impossible not to as either option is not a good option but the 3.1 with 15 would be better!

You definitely wont be having any fun with 270kg and three adults in a 8hp powered 8ft long (short) boat.
Old 27 January 2017, 11:54   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Which would you rather ride in? 2.5 rib 3.1 sib?

I reckon that the 2.5 is going to be too small and rather underpowered. Have you actually sat in one, or is this a theoretical exercise so far?

A 3.1 is still going to be small, especially 3 up, but the 15hp will push you along OK.

At these sizes a small increase makes a big difference, and I'd suggest going for a 3.4 or 3.8 if you can. What are the restricting factors that have made you choose between these particular 2?
Old 27 January 2017, 12:03   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The only reason anyone would choose the smaller option would be for compactness when carrying, storing, transporting, or price. You've told us to ignore those factors so there is no choice.
Old 27 January 2017, 12:06   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>At these sizes a small increase makes a big difference

John is so right. The feeling of space, and importantly security in waves, increases out of all proportion to the apparently modest increase in length at these sizes. Even before you add that extra person you and your wife and going to feel so cramped and vunerable in 2.5m on anything other than a short transit from yacht to pontoon.

I agree 3.4m is about the ideal minimum for two medium size adults with an occasional extra person.

But if you want to keep us tied to the specific question. For your stated crew weight/numbers and the interest in fun/exploring it has to be the 3.1... you'll very much appreciate the extra grunt of a 15hp too.
Old 27 January 2017, 12:30   #7

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Anything under 2.8m is more of a sailboat tender...aka, a HUGE compromise out of necessity.

A 310 is comfortable for 2 people. 3 people is a little cramped once you add gear.

I'd recommend 3.4m minimum.

I like the Cadet Fastroller 360 as a "trunk/boot portable" boat. The UK market also really likes the Bombard Aerotec 380.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 12:56   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
as an added coment to my previous i guess you will be using this off your 10 m boat to get in close rivers/caves/jettys etc with the added choice of going packed away in your car/truck for a day on the beach.
we use these boats regular at work inspecting bridges and structures with three men in, the zoom is more that caperble in those conditions and i have had it at sea in 3 foot waves 2 up its just being sensible which i dont need to tell you, i personnally like a bigger tube diameter to sit on only because getting older and the joints are getting stiff.
having owned one it will certanly do what your asking and as soon as you try it you will know its limitations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140107_124144.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	117845  
Old 27 January 2017, 13:17   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehall View Post
I am 100kg, my wife 70 kg. Occasional 3rd person of 100kg but not that often. Tender for sailing yacht. Focus on fun ride and exploring.

Please lets not get side tracked with other options. What we are trying to get at here is..... is a 2.5 rib with 8 hp better than a 3.1 sib with 15 hp. Speed, ride characteristics?
If it's "pick one" then pick the bigger SIB, ditch yer mate and lay off the pies

I have a 2.7m SIB and it's only a toy, size wise - purely inshore tender work. You'll need the 15hp to plane with you and Missus Dave. Displacement speed only with the extra big lad....
Old 27 January 2017, 13:32   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
All the above is relevant advice to the question posed BUT....best advise must be (if you have to ask the question in the first place!) be...Try before you buy!..
I get the impression you may very well decide to save a bit more and go bigger

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2017, 19:08   #11

Length: 10m +
Fantastic!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know.
Right down to the advice about laying off the pies. I love pies.

You guys are absolutely right about the rest of the details. Space, convience, money, use etc. I really appreciate the advice.

Tags
rib, sib