Old 12 September 2014, 20:14   #1

Town: Midlands - Wolverhampton
Make: BWM DS21
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Where to go round Anglesey?

As lots of people will presumably be heading to the boat show this weekend we're going to run the other way.

Hopefully launching at Ty Calch tomorrow for a few hours, put the kids on the ringo etc. but is there anywhere that's a must see/worth a visit or drop in?

I've never been round there before so would appreciate some advice from anyone who regularly cruises there.

Cheers
Rob
Old 12 September 2014, 20:38   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Pilots Cove or Ty Coch Inn
Old 12 September 2014, 21:20   #3

I spent a great couple of hours around the Menai Straits this week - it was just like mid-summer! Great trip out to Puffin Island https://vimeo.com/105957554
Old 13 September 2014, 07:42   #4

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
A run through the bridges and up to puffin island is a must.
Old 13 September 2014, 07:51   #5

Rob, we'll be launching around 10'ish to go thru the straits, under the bridges and onto Puffin Island, happy to show you the way if you want, we'll be in the SR4 today
Old 13 September 2014, 22:52   #6

Town: Midlands - Wolverhampton
Make: BWM DS21
Engine: Evinrude 150
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sorry Chris, missed your post as we were on the road by then but didn't get there and launch till about 11:30. We may have seen you arrive back as we were waiting to be recovered but not sure, I think it was an SR4.

Managed to miss Tim as well as I couldn't get hold of his number early enough although did see him drive off as we were waiting to be recovered.

We went for a run down to the Ty Coch Inn in the end for a picnic in the bay (didn't bother going ashore as it was heaving) then hopped back up the coast. Brilliant day out. Kids had a play on the ringo and went snorkelling.

I have to say launching at Ty Calch makes things so easy. Chris was really helpful as well, we'll definitely be back as I do fancy the run through the straits to puffin but would like to follow some one first time through lol

Cheers
Rob
Old 14 September 2014, 06:36   #7

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
First time around Anglesey with 'Just Looking' yesterday. The coastline is just so interesting plus the back drop of Snowdonia makes some of the views stunning. We saw numerous places we need to go back and explore including the caves between North Stack and South Stack, the brick works and the Skerries.

We ran up the west coast at a steady 25knots and it was flat as a pancake but a different story as we went down the east coast particularly from Moelfre to Puffin. That's reason why ribbing in the area is interesting you can take the rough with the smooth.

To top it all we dropped a rod over the side just off Llanddwyn with a few feathers on. Next news we had 10 mackerel and I am no fisherman.

Well left with a feeling of a great day out and just hoping the weather will hold as we plan to be back next Saturday.

Nick

PS. You can always have a look for the cardinal buoy which I believe drifted off station in the morning but was secure when passed.
Old 14 September 2014, 06:45   #8

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
I know! My phone went off the hook! Email alerts came through saying it had broken it's geofence, fellow ribnetters texting in panic it had gone before end of season, other even saying they had seen it at speed on the Strait!!! However I have seen no hard evidence it actually moved. It may have been an IT glitch as an hour later the tracker said it was back on station. Chris Caton who said it went past him is getting on in his years so can't really be relied upon, he thinks the tides in when it's out half the time. Pow2gran you were probably going a little too fast and failed to see her behind a buoy or other boat. Panic over anyway.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1410677102.200190.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	98810
Old 14 September 2014, 07:58   #9
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
other even saying they had seen it at speed on the Strait!

Probably confused with Seawakes Humber.
Old 14 September 2014, 08:24   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I know! My phone went off the hook! Email alerts came through saying it had broken it's geofence, fellow ribnetters texting in panic it had gone before end of season, other even saying they had seen it at speed on the Strait!!! However I have seen no hard evidence it actually moved. It may have been an IT glitch as an hour later the tracker said it was back on station. Chris Caton who said it went past him is getting on in his years so can't really be relied upon, he thinks the tides in when it's out half the time. Pow2gran you were probably going a little too fast and failed to see her behind a buoy or other boat. Panic over anyway.Attachment 98810
Sounds like someone borrowed your boat. Check your fuel...
Old 14 September 2014, 08:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Sorry Chris, missed your post as we were on the road by then but didn't get there and launch till about 11:30. We may have seen you arrive back as we were waiting to be recovered but not sure, I think it was an SR4.

Managed to miss Tim as well as I couldn't get hold of his number early enough although did see him drive off as we were waiting to be recovered.

We went for a run down to the Ty Coch Inn in the end for a picnic in the bay (didn't bother going ashore as it was heaving) then hopped back up the coast. Brilliant day out. Kids had a play on the ringo and went snorkelling.

I have to say launching at Ty Calch makes things so easy. Chris was really helpful as well, we'll definitely be back as I do fancy the run through the straits to puffin but would like to follow some one first time through lol

Cheers
Rob
sorry Rob, I walked past your BWM rib going to collect my motor, didn't register at all in my fuddled old brain that it was you

anytime you want a return trip, let me know, we'll do our best to be here by the way, weather even better today