Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 August 2017, 17:12   #1

Town: Berkshire
Length: no boat
What is new in the world of Ribs?

Hi there,

I am recently returning to the world of Ribs after a hiatus of about six years...

As such I am not now 'up to date' with the new and best manufacturers in the high quality family leisure boat sector...t the old manufacturers now call themselves...

So if you were in the market for a new orc ouple of year old 6.5 metre hypalon (please tell me thats still the way to go?) RIB with a single 150 on the back that would comfortably take a family of 4 and two dogs out in moderate rough stuff, and looked ruffty tuffty and James Bond but also had enough creature comforts - potential to turn the front into a sun pad, comfy bench seat etc... (not ullman or all jockey seats!) - where would you look?

recommendations for manufacturers/models and most respected 150 engines these days too.

I thank you all in advance for your sage advice and inevitable p1$htaking...
Old 03 August 2017, 20:15   #2
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Try looking at Apollo duck or boats and outboards
Thats a good start
Old 03 August 2017, 21:55   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
probably not much changed - what would you have gone for / recommended 6 years ago to someone asking the same question? that should give people a benchmark and then they can advise if that brand is no longer as good, or there are similar new competitors.
Old 04 August 2017, 08:07   #4

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
From what I see amongst our Dry Stack clients (new and old) the general trend from manufacturers and buyers is to go "bigger"! We see many more 7,8,&9m Ribs being purchased than a few years ago. Engines too are getting bigger. most 6.5m ribs will probably have more than a 150 on the back and a 250 on the back of a 8m boat will certainly be more likely to be a 300 or 350 these days and everyone's going 4-stroke (wiats for backlash ). As for innovations, well I see a general upgrade in the electics in ribs (but let's be fair that is from a very low starting point) and of course the gizmos (stereos, GPS, etc) are getting more complicated and generally less expensive. Seating is a personal thing, but shock mitigation seats do look very "cool" but we still see plenty of jockey & bench seating being used. As always, the innovation starts at the top-end of the market and then filters down, but there are still plenty of "smart" 6.5's out there. Good luck anyway.
Old 04 August 2017, 09:57   #5

Town: Berkshire
Length: no boat
Thanks

Thanks all...

very helpful

I have looked at Apollo Duck and B&O - just wondered if there were any new entrants that were well thought of.

I remember RibEye, Zodiac of course, Humber, Cobra, Tornado... but I now see X-Ribs, Brig and a number of other brands I don't recognise...

Any other new entrants I should look at...

Interesting re size - perhaps i should look up to the 7.5 level.

Very interesting re the 'greater than 150 on the backs of 6.5ms - I am assuming transoms are reinforced better these days then - or engines are much lighter... 150 used to boot a 6.5 along quite nicely, so i can't imagine 250 on a 6.5...

Maybe thats the way to go...

any suggestions re makes and models that are particularly well thought of , or personal recommendations for stable, dry riding boats of the last 2-3 years would be greatly welcomed...
Old 04 August 2017, 16:35   #6

Town: Kidderminster
Boat name: Watershoot
Make: Gemini 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150
MMSI: 232010728
Hi

Having just gone through this there are several other things to consider

Budget will always be a limiting factor - for purchase and ongoing costs.

Towing the beast of course - a bigger RIB will need a double axle trailer and obviously a more manly car to pull it along. If you are going the sry stock route you pay by the metre so a bigger boat incurs more fees. Then storing the trailer can be an expensive additional cost if you need to keep it near the boat.

Where are you going to use it? Do you have a crew or are you going to be alone - a bigger boat takes a little more handling solo - ok not a lot but something to think about.

Fuel costs - big engine usually uses more fuel - potentially

All of these issues are relative, but worth thinking through. When I got my first RIB many years ago I spent a season going out with people as crew to see different RIBs in action and to help me make a decision. This gave me a great idea about what I wanted - and didn't want

Hope this helps
Old 04 August 2017, 20:29   #7

Town: Lismore
Boat name: Jinty J
Make: Rib-X 535
Engine: Evinrude 75 Etec
What is new in the world of Ribs?

Can't fault my recently acquired Rib-X.
It's a 535, but punches well above its' weight. Strongly built but light, very dry, no cavitation and a surprisingly gentle re-entry when it becomes airborne. I can only imagine the bigger ones are even more impressive.
Well worth a visit to the factory to see the production areas, you'll be made most welcome.
Old 04 August 2017, 23:06   #8

Town: penzance
Boat name: not named
Make: ski boat
Engine: 150 HPDI
I thought there had been a move away from ply towards composite - is that the case? If so I'd say that's a change to consider.
Old 05 August 2017, 06:50   #9

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Engines are not lighter they are far heavier now as all new ones in the UK at least will be 4 stroke
Old 05 August 2017, 09:16   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonl View Post
I thought there had been a move away from ply towards composite - is that the case? If so I'd say that's a change to consider.
Proper Marine grade Ply works so well in so departments and functions so well long term it's been Hard to find a definitive replacement (plenty have tried and failed)...
IMO The basis of what makes a RIB a RIB won't change much from what we have already i.e Leisure..Race..Cabin Work..High end ect "variants" ...because it's Basic Root design of Form and Function is so good for Purposes!

The 12 Bore Shog Gun springs to mind...with all the changes in Amunition and enhancements the Basic design is very little changed in well over 100 years!
...With even the Worlds Top ...(Mainly English) makers in the World still continuing to use Good old "El Natural"Walnut for the Stocks and Furniture!!...if it a it broke...don't fix it!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2017, 09:58   #11

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Engines are not lighter they are far heavier now as all new ones in the UK at least will be 4 stroke
Not compared to 6 years ago though, 6 years was 2011 and the 2 stroke ban was well before that, so all new engines were fourstrokes in 2011, most of the new models are lighter now.
Old 05 August 2017, 10:06   #12

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
And I am told there is work being done on some new 2 strokes that will pass the tests
Old 05 August 2017, 10:44   #13
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...as all new ones in the UK at least will be 4 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by samt View Post
....and the 2 stroke ban was well before that, so all new engines were fourstrokes in 2011, most of the new models are lighter now.
Quote:
And I am told there is work being done on some new 2 strokes that will pass the tests
  • There is/was no "2 stroke ban" - there was an emissions limit that many simple 2 strokes failed to comply with.
  • Only Leisure users were targeted - 2 strokes continue to be sold to commercial and race markets.
  • Many direct injection tech 2 strokes continue to be sold and used on leisure craft in the UK - think Mercury/Mariner Optimax, Evinrude Etec, Tohatsu TLDI
Old 05 August 2017, 10:55   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 Bore Shog Gun View Post
Proper Marine grade Ply works so well in so departments and functions so well long term it's been Hard to find a definitive replacement (plenty have tried and failed)...
The leisure mass market seems to be moving away from ply in favour of moulded decks and fixed rail mounting systems. Materials like Nidaplast and other honeycomb like products are seen more frequently (well, not seen, but in there somewhere ). I've read that some of the Continental Europe manufacturers are substituting other materials for ply in transoms as well.

I'm certainly not knocking ply - but it needs to be fully encapsulated and every fixing in/through it needs to be carefully sealed and maintained. So many older RIB projects on here have ended with decks up and transoms out due to water ingress in ply. Think deck undersides not coated with resin, hatches cut in decks and not sealed, engine bolt holes not sealed, etc., etc.
Old 05 August 2017, 11:00   #15

Town: Midlands
Boat name: SR4.7
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
  • There is/was no "2 stroke ban" - there was an emissions limit that many simple 2 strokes failed to comply with.
  • Only Leisure users were targeted - 2 strokes continue to be sold to commercial and race markets.
  • Many direct injection tech 2 strokes continue to be sold and used on leisure craft in the UK - think Mercury/Mariner Optimax, Evinrude Etec, Tohatsu TLDI
Zzzzzzzzz

Thanks Wilk, sorry I don't have enough time to waste writing a Pedantic post.

Still, manufacturers are bringing out lighter models now compared to 6 years ago. Not heavier.
Old 05 August 2017, 11:09   #16
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
And yet have time to complain when others correct the myth...
Old 05 August 2017, 11:58   #17
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:

Still, manufacturers are bringing out lighter models now compared to 6 years ago. Not heavier.
Think nothing of it. Any time you write poop I'll be right there for you
Old 05 August 2017, 12:14   #18

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Zzzzzzzzz

Nowt t' do with pedantry, you made a statement that was simply wrong & required correcting. Otherwise people less informed might be misled into thinking you know what you're talking about[emoji57]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2017, 17:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Proper Marine grade Ply works so well in so departments and functions

The 12 Bore Shog Gun springs to mind...with all the changes in Amunition and enhancements the Basic design is very little changed in well over 100 years!
...With even the Worlds Top ...(Mainly English) makers in the World still continuing to use Good old "El Natural"Walnut for the Stocks and Furniture!!...if it a it broke...don't fix it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I'm certainly not knocking ply - but it needs to be fully encapsulated and every fixing in/through it needs to be carefully sealed and maintained. So many older RIB projects on here have ended with decks up and transoms out due to water ingress in ply. Think deck undersides not coated with resin, hatches cut in decks and not sealed, engine bolt holes not sealed, etc., etc.
I'm confused... What's the issue with Walnut in shotgun? Are people screwing fittings into it and making it rot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOffMyLand View Post
I am recently returning to the world of Ribs after a hiatus of about six years...
I thank you all in advance for your sage advice and inevitable p1$htaking...
Aye - well the good news is over the last 6 years everyone on Rib.net all became best of friends and loves each other all the time...
Old 06 August 2017, 11:24   #20

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Poor ol Shiney....seems confusion runs in the Family eh

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib