Old 18 July 2022, 22:01   #1

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
What happened to Trump tax?

Not wanting to divert a thread on vat on imports from france I’ll start another

Before Covid and brexit the EU had a Barney with trump over steel tariffs and levied a tax on leisure marine imports from the us as a retaliation.

Now we have left the eu and lost all the benefits are we now able to import marine goods direct from the us and avoid these extra taxes? Marine gear especially leisure is much cheaper in the us so is the market for grey imports ripe? Shortages the last few seasons means there hasn’t been much stock about but that will surely change?
Old 19 July 2022, 11:36   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Before Covid and brexit the EU had a Barney with trump over steel tariffs and levied a tax on leisure marine imports from the us as a retaliation.

Now we have left the eu and lost all the benefits are we now able to import marine goods direct from the us and avoid these extra taxes?...
How very naughty of you to Brexit and Trump in the one post - Poly will be tying a bow in his pinny before reaching for the duster.

In the brief period before he does, allow me:

There is a trade agreement in the pipeline. Once the Borlrus decided to shaft his neighbours and reignite a hotbed of civil warfare in his NIther region, Sleepy Joe opened an eye and began singing the ole Irish rebel songs his grandpappy taught him. I'd say your next PM will be busy mending fences.
Old 19 July 2022, 21:17   #3

So does trump tax still exist?
Old 20 July 2022, 11:45   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
As stiil a sizeable free trading and financial services player throughout the World (despite the negative best efforts of "Thought Police") the United Kingdom with all the advantages freedoms and have we enjoy!..if often taken for granted!
....is well placed (despite the economic, and other headwinds) to take advantage of the opportunities we have ..AND will unfold as they present themselves...

Despite the "Nay Sayers" with the many Trade deals actually made and completed so far and ongoing!...including the Trans Pacific Trade Partnership ongoing negotiations the future despite everything bodes well.
As for "Trump tax"? ...the eternal rough Sea's of Western political discourse and war of ideas continue...one thing you CAN always count on is CHANGE ...if we stay strong and true to our long held tried and tested values and faith in the sanctity of the individual human spirit ...it may actually be for the better!
....If it means more trade cheaper Outboards and prices generally I'm in

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2022, 12:30   #5

I’ll take that as a yes!
Old 20 July 2022, 15:47   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
As stiil a sizeable free trading and financial services player throughout the World (despite the negative best efforts of "Thought Police") the United Kingdom with all the advantages freedoms and have we enjoy!..if often taken for granted!
....is well placed (despite the economic, and other headwinds) to take advantage of the opportunities we have ..AND will unfold as they present themselves...

Despite the "Nay Sayers" with the many Trade deals actually made and completed so far and ongoing!...including the Trans Pacific Trade Partnership ongoing negotiations the future despite everything bodes well.
As for "Trump tax"? ...the eternal rough Sea's of Western political discourse and war of ideas continue...one thing you CAN always count on is CHANGE ...if we stay strong and true to our long held tried and tested values and faith in the sanctity of the individual human spirit ...it may actually be for the better!
Well that's a clear and succint answer to the question. Not sure if it'sa"yes" or a "no" though
Old 20 July 2022, 16:00   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
How very naughty of you to Brexit and Trump in the one post - Poly will be tying a bow in his pinny before reaching for the duster.
Need marigolds and a hazmat suit for the double trouble of those two.

I'll leave it here for now on the strict basis that the question which is being asked is "Are the import duties to the UK for Marine Leisure products still at the higher rate?"

People can answer that question without the B word or referring to individual politicians who have or have not triggered it.

Quote:
I suppose you can live in a world of dreams!