Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
WEEKDAY RIB trips

Hi,

Anyone able or keen to do mid-week cross channel RIB trips? I work most weekends so rarely get chance to go out in company with other boats. People seem to organise such trips for the weekend! I've been cross-channel many times as a single boat but company would be fun! Frogs legs anyone? Just a thought.

Mike C
Old 10 August 2002, 15:23   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I see you have one of the new Mercruiser 1.7l Diesels?
V. interested in your engine and boat combination as I am sure many others are on this forum.
Can you tell us all about it?
Performance, fuel consumption, rev. range etc.
(PS Have e-mailed you directly re week day trips)
Old 10 August 2002, 15:57   #3

Thanks Brian,

I'll contact you direct re the e-mail. As far as the boat/engine combination is concerend, it's a bit too early to tell. I've only done 6 or 7 hours so far in two short 'test' runs but it seems to be performing very nicely. Very quiet engine for a diesel! I've put the boat through the recommended 'running-in' sequence, which takes it up to full throttle for a 3-minute period. That got me 4,200 revs with 3 people and a dog on board using a 23" prop, (max revs should be 4,400). The speed obtained was 32 knots on the GPS, (sorry didn’t look which way the tide was flowing but it was a neap). I'm hopeful that when the engine is run in and loosened up I should get the full 4,400 and perhaps get around the 35 knot mark, which will do me for a top speed!

As for fuel, again too early to tell but sticking my neck out, (Hi Pete), just looking at the fuel gauge and guesitmating a bit, I reckon I only used about 30 litres during a 3 hour mixed, (slow-ish) speed session on my first trip..... but judging where the fuel needle sits is not a very accurate way of judging consumption.... I'll know more after a few more trips when I fill the tank up!

Watch this space!
Old 11 August 2002, 06:47   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
cross channel

I would be very interested in mid week trip My boat is based at Hayling , where are you ? I want to do Cherbour or Alderney . john@hiremarquee.co.uk will get me .
Old 11 August 2002, 08:49   #5
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Mike
Can you tell us which leg you are using?
Also, being a 6.3m, does the weight of the engine make you back heavy?
Do you trail or are you on a marina?
Where are you fuel tank(s) and what is their capacity?
You are right on fuel gauges. Next to useles most of them. Do a fill-up and note NM from your GPS log and litres taken on board.
If you do this for a few months, turning the figures into a spreadsheet, you can get all sorts of interesting and useful consumption figures under diferent usages and conditions.
Old 11 August 2002, 11:32   #6

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I could be v interested in a cross channel run' let me know when and where and I'll see if I can make it.

30 litres at 20p a liter - 6 quid that's 2 pounds an hour for fuel costs......wow. I'll be asking lots of questions on the trip. My Camel does 30 knots at 40l.p.h.

cheesr
stuart
Old 11 August 2002, 11:55   #7

Town: Poole
Mike

I'm planning a lunch trip to Alderney in the next couple of weeks. As and when I have a date I'll let you know. Otherwise keep touch with any plans and I'll try and make it.

Regards

Mark
Mark@ecc-limited.com
Old 12 August 2002, 19:41   #8

Town: Poole
Mike & everyone else

I'm planning on an Alderney lunch trip on the 23rd August leaving from Poole.

If anyone is interested please Email / reply to this message

Regards

Mark
Mark@ecc-limited.com
Old 12 August 2002, 23:12   #9

Wow,

Lots of replies. I should have done this before!
Now that the interest has been aroused I will have to back-track slightly as my new engine is not yet run in. I'd like to get that done first unless you fancy progressively increasing speed from around 15 knots to 20 knots and back again all the way across. There are restrictions up to 20 hours and I've so far done less than 9! But if anyone is free in September or October, we could do something!?

Brian,
The Mercruiser 1.7 comes with an Alpha 1 leg... which I hear less bad things about than the Bravo 3! Time will tell!
It is obviously a little down at the back but rides much flatter and softer than my Ribcraft 5.85 did with twin 60hp Mariners hanging on the outside. The weight of the diesel engine is obviously spread further IN the boat. The fuel tank is towards the front, starting just behind the anchor locker and helps to balance. As for capacity......? Yes interesting one this! The capacity quoted by Humber is 150 litres. When I picked up the boat the gauge was reading just above empty as they had just put in enough fuel to test it. I then poured in 40 litres from cans, which made the gauge read getting on for a half. I then did a three-hour trip, which dropped the gauge to around a quarter. Hence my 30 L guestimate (Are you following this?). I then added another 40 litres, which brought the gauge to just over half. After another two hour trip it was down to something over a quarter. So a guestimate would say there was about 20-30 litres in the tank when I decided to fill up to the top on Sunday. It's a 150 Litre tank so I expected to put in about 120 -130 litres max....... It frothed out at 154 Litres!
So, either it's nearly a 200L tank, or the fuel barge shortchanged me or I totally wasted my money on a fuel gauge and was lucky I didn't run out!! GPS has been set and engine hours noted so watch this space! It will take several trips to get a true fuel consumption figure!
And the last question, I trail. I have it on a Rapide single axel trailer with a 1400 Kilo capacity. Just about the biggest single axel they do, but much more manageable than two (I am told!)

Hope that helps,
Mike C
Old 13 August 2002, 13:08   #10

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Cherbourg Cruise in September

Mike

I am looking to organize a cruise to cherbourg in September if you would like to come. It will probably be one of the last this year so lets see if we can get a few people interested. I will come back to you all with some dates soon.
Old 13 August 2002, 19:12   #11

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I'm interested too, never done a crossing, which is silly since it's only 30 miles from here! Weekdays are fine since i work most weekends too!

My friend has a 7m, with an Optimax 150 and will almost certianly be up for it too - we were talking about doing a crossing soon, but more than interested in swelling the numbers on the trip. My BWM has a 130 Yam (as it says on the left <---), so we can keep up, but will be looking to buy fuel in france - so need to pick a port with petrol!

Would you be thinking about coming down this way - dover / ramsgate? I know all the local launch sites, and my friends RIB is kept in Ramsgate marina...

Dan
Old 13 August 2002, 22:23   #12

Many thanks all.......

Some dates are beginning to materialize for a mid week Cherbourg trip in September. Perhaps we can get a good few going across? Watch this space for that.

Daniel, Yes defiantly do a trip to Boulogne. Free mooring for lunch. Not sure about petrol though. I always used to take enough for a return trip in my old boat. I have done the trip many times, always using the exciting Dover Slip. (One slip and you're off it)

Could defiantly do a day trip in my new boat sometime and I'll contact you when I do, but aiming for a 2 day-er to Cherbourg first. I'm sure the weather won't allow it though!

mike C
Old 14 August 2002, 21:47   #13

OK,

Here's the plot! Graeme Couper, (TOPAZ), and I are planning a trip to Cherbourg, probably from Poole, out on the 24th September and return on the 25th September, (Tuesday & Wednesday).
Anyone interested?

Cherbourg is about 65 N Miles from Poole and has very good berthing with petrol or diesel available at the Quay. There's also lots of hotels and restaurants.

Make a note here or e-mail mrcarson@lineone.net if interested!
Old 15 August 2002, 09:14   #14

Town: gloucester
Make: ribtech
Length: 585
Engine: Yam 115
Advice

Hi Mike,
You seem to know your stuff and i was hoping for some advice. I'm currently in the process ov trying to buy my first rib that i want to use as a family cruiser, there are 6 in my family. Im hoping to do Cross Channel when i'm up to a decent standard but not straight away. I've got a budget ov about 10 thousand, is that enough for a decent second hand boat? I'm based in Gloucester so wonder where the nearest clubs or decent stretches ov water are for me? Thanks for any advice,
Mark
Old 15 August 2002, 11:05   #15
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Spud
At the risk of butting in here.....
You are looking to cross the channel.
You have a family of 6.
My first thoughts are:
You need to look for a boat of 7m plus. Because I would like to see all family members seated and preferably on jockey seats not a bench seat.
You will therefore need 100hp plus engine, AND a plotter, a compass and a VHF as a minimum (never mind the rest of the safety gear, flares, 6 lifejackets, 6 drysuits, anchor, fenders, trailer, etcetcetc).
This combo, even 2nd hand is likely to exceed your planned budget.
So either start small, learn, leave the family behind and postpone cross-channel till later, or............up your budget.
But DO join us....it's GREAT FUN !!!
Old 15 August 2002, 15:27   #16

Town: gloucester
Make: ribtech
Length: 585
Engine: Yam 115
Advice

Thanks for the advice Brian. I think i'll lower my sights slightly as you suggest. I don't think the wife would be too keen on a long crossing yet anyway, she's the sensible one! What size boat and engine is needed for a Channel Crossing? How long does it take and would my budget buy me a good enough Rib with a smaller crew? I'm talking 3 adults.......I might leave the kids on dry land till i know what i'm doing!!!!
Old 15 August 2002, 18:59   #17
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Spud
I know some people who I wouldn't trust to cross the channel in a 10m twin 300hp engined Scorpion. I know some (like the Harbour Master at Alderney) who has crossed in a 4m inflatable in a Force 8 at night-no problem.
It depends, doesnt it?
Maybe there is another approach to your dilema.
Before putting your hand in your pocket and making a decision you may regret, why don't you go out with a few people, in diferent boats and just try it?
If you come to Torquay I will take you out (for nothing but the pleasure of your company. Many people on this forum, I am sure will make you similar offers.
It is also a good idea to go and get some professional training-there are a number of Powerboat schools around who charge from £150 per day (one on one training!!!!) who will teach you LOTS.
When you have done a bit of this you will a) know lot more and b) have built up a group of mates who have YOUR interests at heart and whom you can lean on for advice.
Come on guys-let's make Spud a member of our community-any other offers?
Old 15 August 2002, 19:28   #18

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
any other offers...

I certainly can't match the quality of Brian's offer (Spud, his RIB is an absolute beauty!!!) but I can match the spirit of it - you'd be welcome on PepperII for a buzz round Poole Harbour, to experience bargain basement boating... but I couldn't hold a candle to the experience of Brian and other contributors to this forum.

Over the last twelve months I've done three different courses with RYA accredited powerboat schools and they're great fun - not a chore at all. I think some of the guys on the forum are also instructors.

Anyway, you need to get out there - find out how BUMPY RIB-ing is!
Old 15 August 2002, 19:43   #19

Ref the above,

I'd agree..... I think my old Ribcraft 5.85, which was a superb boat with twin engines is about the smallest for a Channel crossing and that had only four seats. I’ve just sold that, (6 years old), for £11,450 which by all accounts was a bit cheap, even at that age! My new 6.3 has seating for 7 if you count the engine lid but 2 of those seats are forward of the console and not much use in rough weather. You need good jockey seats for all in anything more than calm .... and if you're Channel crossing, sooner or later, you WILL encounter horrible stuff that you don't want to be in, no matter how much you look at the weather forecast. Quite often I've been caught out and glad the RIB could take it.... but wished it would do it on its own without me having to be there!
DO get your Powerboat Level 2 as a minimum, You’ll need it to get your ICC - International Certificate of Competence - from the RYA. That document is needed in France, (though no-one has ever asked me to see it!). Also I recommend you do the RYA Day Skipper shore based course. This is a six-month evening course, which covers all the basics of everything you should know from knots to tides and rules of the road!
If you want to drop me an e-mail, I will be glad to offer a trip across channel in my boat, (2 seats spare), perhaps for this September trip.... or when Graeme Couper gets back from holiday, he may contact you as he lives your way! Persevere though, its worth it!

SEPTEMBER TRIP
One more thought on this.... I'm hoping it will be a family trip, (OK I'm taking the wife), which means it will have to be calm or she'll hit me.... So, if it’s rough we may go somewhere else. How about the East coast if its a strong westerly.... or Wales if it's a strong easterly?! And just a thought.... I may be free on the 3rd & 4th September. Not the best date for me but if the weather is like it has been over the last few days, in the words of Capt. Pickard, I'll "make it so"! Can anyone else?

Mike C.
Old 15 August 2002, 20:55   #20

Town: Newfoundland
Mike, if you decide for a plan B on the East Coast let me know and I'll help out with suggested trips, launch points etc. Wont be coming with you as I completely shagged my back last weekend (despite it being calm) and am not going to risk it again until I know whats wrong and that its fixed!

Spud, Good advice from all here. I just sold a 6.5m for your budget so you can get a cross channel capable rib for 10k. Better to start off with a decent rig and get some experience before striking out for the deep blue. (its amazing how much smaller a boat feels when you are out of sight of land!). Take up one of the offers here to go cruising - you'll learn lots and get to see different types of RIB. You could also join BIBOA and volunteer to crew on on of the cruises. email or pm me for details.

Cheers,
Alan