Old 24 May 2024, 14:05   #1

Town: Gardabaer
Length: no boat
Advice needed - Zodiac MK3 Futura

Ahoy there! I´m wondering about buying an 19 year old Zodiac MK3. Are there any users here with experience with these boats at this age?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6301.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	145057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6300.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	145058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	145059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6319.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	145060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	145061  

Old 24 May 2024, 14:24   #2

Town: Falun
Make: Zodiac Futura Mk 2c
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20A
There are tons of posts on here regarding older Futuras. They all say that a 20 year old PVC boat needs regluing of the floor or transom or both.

I have the Futura IIc myself which is the smallest Futura, and it is somewhat portable. Myself I can't see the use for a non-portable SIB. If it's going to stay on the trailer a RIB is usually the better option for many reasons.

Futuras are cool and fun boats and if you want to give it a try go ahead. But make sure you basically only pay for the motor and trailer. Older SIBs aren't worth much.
Old 24 May 2024, 15:01   #3

Thanks for the info
Old 24 May 2024, 21:44   #4

Boat name: 380S
Make: Yamaha
Engine: Honda BF15
I have some of them that I've been renovating. They're a great boat. At that age they can often have glue issues with the floor and transom. The failed glue causes trapped water that eventually rots out the transom. If it's not rotten then the gluing job is doable by your average Joe. If it needs a transom then that complicates things a little. It's 40mm thick, weighs a lot and there's some slightly complicated compound curves on its edges.

Was that one previously belonged to search and rescue/emergency services? One of mine had the same outboard combo and that reflective strip at the rear of the tubes. I don't think that's factory.
Old 24 May 2024, 22:11   #5

The current user has had it for only 4 years, but it doesn´t seem to have seen much action. However their is no maintenance book with the motor but the current owner says he has changed gear and motor oil yearly. I will go and look at it again tomorrow and listen to the motor.
Old 24 May 2024, 22:17   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
There’s bigger issues here. Someone has literally drilled a hole large enough a London bus could get through in the ply transom under the build ID plate.

The MKIII is a big boat and given the console and leaning bolster I assume are bolted to the aluminium deck panels. Would be interesting to know what lurks underneath, as it won’t have been dismantled any time soon given structure set up.
Old 25 May 2024, 01:49   #7

Good point. I will definitely have to inspect it properly. The asking price is about 2.800 GBP, that includes the trailer. Living in Iceland, these boats are usually expensive.
Old 25 May 2024, 16:37   #8

So the motor sounds good but the speed tubes have been removed. I guess then the boat acts as a regular SIB. The glue on the transome/tubes looks good though.
Old 25 May 2024, 16:45   #9

What's year, size and overall condition is the engine?
Old 25 May 2024, 17:07   #10

Honda BF50A with a 13” steel prop, 2004. Looks in good condition, the sound was good running with water muffs. But I would still like to test the boat in the sea. The anoids are in rather good condition, new water impeller last air, new waterlock two years ago.
Old 25 May 2024, 17:32   #11

I sounds to be a good deal if it performs alright when sea testing.
Old 25 May 2024, 17:59   #12

Yeah, it seems like a decent enough boat to start with 👍
Old 26 May 2024, 16:38   #13

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I too didn't spot the Speed Tubes and wonder about them? That is what makes the boat handle and ride nicely.

That hole in the transom screams idiot for which other "repairs" on the boat may be similar. The hole is not a big deal to fix with an Epoxy and some filler material. It won't cause any structural issues. My bigger concern would be how the console is mounted and if there is corrosion around the bolt holes. Stainless and aluminum don't play well together in salt water.

On a smaller SIB I am not sure I would want a console like that but that is me, and I do prefer a console for comfort of longer distance driving.

I bought a Zodiac MKII Futura Sport GT with speed tubes and spent about 40 hours fixing the floor plus transom, while making a few improvements. It was a lot of labor, but nothing compared to what my friend and I have into my current AB rib. For the right reasons I wouldn't hesitate to do the job over again. If anybody ever offers me a smaller Futura that needs a floor repair I would take it in a heart beat, for traveling inside my van.
Old 26 May 2024, 19:15   #14

Yes, the hole in the transom is pretty ugly, the is one cable that goes through it that connects the depth meter but it seems like something was installed in this hole before. However the transom looks good, no rot to be seen and the glue to the tubes looks good. Do you know of these speed tubes are still available and how bad of a SIB it is without them?
Old 26 May 2024, 20:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Silverbeard View Post
Do you know of these speed tubes are still available and how bad of a SIB it is without them?
Don't worry about the speed tubes if you buy this boat. It would be a major job and expense to replace them given that you could actually find them, which I doubt.

But make sure to get them if he still has them. They can be used for patch-material at least.

I have an old spare Futura IIc without speed tubes. I've only tried it for a few minutes but it handled fine.

If you buy this boat it would be a good idea to remove all floor boards to be able to inspect and clean underneath. The inside floor may need a little gluing and gravel and sand can cause extra wear if in the wrong spot.
Old 27 May 2024, 10:47   #16

Few more pics - The plan is to test the boat this week. Thank you all for the info/tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaglund View Post
Don't worry about the speed tubes if you buy this boat. It would be a major job and expense to replace them given that you could actually find them, which I doubt.

But make sure to get them if he still has them. They can be used for patch-material at least.

I have an old spare Futura IIc without speed tubes. I've only tried it for a few minutes but it handled fine.

If you buy this boat it would be a good idea to remove all floor boards to be able to inspect and clean underneath. The inside floor may need a little gluing and gravel and sand can cause extra wear if in the wrong spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	145073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6307.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	145074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6308.jpg
Views:	7