Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
Isn’t the river passage a bit of a challenge. An old work mate told me everyone turns round due to port navigation. (That was 20yrs ago)
Navigation

There's some good info on the website probably created in response to everyone turning around.
Old 23 May 2021, 07:28   #22

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I was very unimpressed with the Folly -had high expectations from Ribnet reviews (from a few years back tbh) Charged per person for privilege of getting ashore, pub prices not cheap. Same menus as in all other pubs in chain - all prepared, nothing cooked fresh. We'd have done better staying at East Cowes Marina.
Same here sadly. I used to visit quite often "back in the day" around ten years ago. The landlord/manager was a chap called Andy who really knew how to run a pub. He left and the place went down hill massively. Went back 2 summers ago - overpriced chain pub food, really really disappointing.
Old 23 May 2021, 08:04   #23

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Not disputing that there is no technical reason a VHF is needed. ......
OP flagged it... ...so I was merely asking if others had an opinion.
I'm not following quite what you're debating with me? But you seem annoyed? - that's not my intention.

Personally, and as above, I have no issue doing that journey without one and inevitably have many times as a passenger on friends boats. But I also have a VHF set in my kit bag for my boat so I do always have one on board when I'm the skipper. But it's usually off or inaudible anyway, which is probably the case for many. But I don't have a VHF when I'm out in the RS800 or Fireball though.

The one time I really needed a VHF, even though it was a fixed rig, it was useless anyway.
With all the background noise both on my and IJ's end, it was useless. The learning there was to have the set mounted in a more prominent location so the "big" speaker is accessible, or have a remote mounted speaker - the speaker in the mic there was useless. Plus, work out the optimal volume by playing around with the set in advance - turning the volume up more increased distortion, not volume. I think if I was really serious about VHF, I'd get a headset. But I actually just have a handheld these days - it's adequate and has enough range for anything I need.

It was also a bit of a surprise how many people were still chatting over us on 16 & 67 even after I'd called Mayday.

The other learning from that incident is I should have prioritised getting Zahnee to a hospital more quickly - but it was fine, IJ and Hamble LB arrived relatively quickly and made the call. I didn't know so much about head & neck injuries then and thought that as she was conscious, she was OK. This is not always the case.
Old 23 May 2021, 08:09   #24

You certainly do have to keep the channel. Almost all my in & out of the harbour has been in sailing dinghies - but daggerboard fully down at half tide has never been an issue in the channel. Oh, and don't cut the corner too tight as you enter the harbour and turn to starboard. The weed is a bit of a pest sometimes too.

But overall, we like Bembridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Navigation

There's some good info on the website probably created in response to everyone turning around.
Old 23 May 2021, 11:24   #25

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura 155 View Post
Evening folks,
With the Honda bf50 purring away nicely after a carb clean up, I thought it would nice to take the missus over to the IOW from the Hamble as the kids are doing other stuff.
I've not done this before and i was hoping for a bit of advice.
How do you book a space on a pontoon or in the marina? Do you have to book in advance? What is the best spot to moor up for the first time? Is it easy to find your reserved space?
Sorry in advance for the basic questions.
I haven't got VHF radio just mobile.
Cheers all

P.s it's blowing bf8 here in Southampton at the moment, so might be dragged into TK Maxx instead - rather take my chances in the Solent!
Tow Quay, just behind the Red Jet terminal, starboard side as you enter Cows, just turn up and pay the Harbor Master who is usually on hand.

One piece of advice, do not attempt to enter if the Red Jet is about to move off, the back wash will pin you against the opposite wall, don't ask me how I know this!!!!
Old 23 May 2021, 19:23   #26

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You certainly do have to keep the channel. Almost all my in & out of the harbour has been in sailing dinghies - but daggerboard fully down at half tide has never been an issue in the channel. Oh, and don't cut the corner too tight as you enter the harbour and turn to starboard. The weed is a bit of a pest sometimes too.

But overall, we like Bembridge.
Agreed, I wouldn't say the entrance is worse than any other tidally restricted harbour, we've been in and out in the sailing yacht plenty of times. It's pretty well marked, and while there can be quite a bend in the channel some years, if you're following the marks up to half tide, especially in a RIB which has a fairly shallow draught generally, you'll be fine. Do just check the tides before you try it though.

We like the character of Bembridge, definitely worth a visit, and nice to know you have defeated the tidal challenge!
Old 23 May 2021, 19:37   #27

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Poker run cat that flipped? I remember it well.

Matt I have to say I was almost first boat on scene, but had second doubts about where the people were in the water when approaching so backed right off. You were very decisive and not only helped save the crew but the boat too.
Old 23 May 2021, 21:41   #28

I have to admit, I don’t remember who else was around. I get very single minded when something like that is happening, so I was only aware of boats & people we were interacting with.

When we arrived, there were only 2 heads in the water, it was a quite a number of seconds before the 3rd head popped up. I wouldn't like to say who arrived first, but we were both certainly prompt. It doesn't matter anyway - everyone was fine in the end.

As we arrived, I had aimed maybe 100ft away to avoid people and debris. But with hindsight, I came in too hot, I should have slowed sooner. I had to give it a gob of reverse to stop proceedings - I just overestimated how quickly the boat would stop when I closed the throttles - a crash stop not being something I need to do regularly, nor do I like to practice it since it's not kind to the gearboxes/drives.

My Mrs was awesome. First thing she was shouting to Simon (the owner/skipper) was “how many”.* Meaning how many people of course, she was all set to dive in and start pulling people out from under the boat (she's a good swimmer).

One thing I learnt doing rescue duty for sailing clubs over the years is that once you’ve ascertained rescue is necessary, the quicker you conduct the rescue (within reason of course, you don't want to rush before you're ready), the less likely the situation is to escalate. Whether you're dealing with kit failure, medical - even just a capsized dinghy where the crew are getting too tired to bring the boat back up.

It was a decent enough boat, the accident was caused by mechanical failure on the port drive. IIRC the gimbal ring failed.
The engines were running again by the next weekend and a chap up Newcastle way bought it and put it all back together I think.
Old 24 May 2021, 07:22   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
I'm now based in Poole - Avocet is still alive - just not been boating for a while. I think Mrs A is keen to get him afloat again so now lockdown is over I'll give him a prod.
Trev

Me too Trev.....he's one of the Good Un's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 07:44   #30

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Island Harbour, Bembridge and Lymington are our favourites in the Solent....with the odd visit to Ocean Village. A lap of the Island is always nice too....approaching the Needles going clockwise is spectacular..
Old 24 May 2021, 07:48   #31

Isn't it just! That SW side of the island is idyllic. Just a shame there's no harbours to speak of on the south side pf the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
....approaching the Needles going clockwise is spectacular..
Old 24 May 2021, 09:13   #32

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Quote:
Island Harbour, Bembridge and Lymington are our favourites in the Solent....with the odd visit to Ocean Village. A lap of the Island is always nice too....approaching the Needles going clockwise is spectacular..
Isn't it just! That SW side of the island is idyllic. Just a shame there's no harbours to speak of on the south side pf the island.
Would you recommend going clockwise or anticlockwise?
Old 24 May 2021, 09:34   #33

I've only ever circumnavigated it anti-clockwise.

However, I did some film work once in freshwater bay, so spent a fair bit of time round that side, going backwards and forwards between there and Yarmouth. Plus we're regularly on the island anyway - even just the drive along Military Road is idyllic and a great area for walking and exploring. ​

You've got me thinking now - why is that the "usual" way round? I thought maybe tidal flows - but this flow animation suggest it makes no difference. Maybe it's a sailing thing (ie 5 knots) - leave cowes at high water and follow the tide, get to the needles for the tide to turn and follow the tide round the south side? And tide roughly turns again at about nab tower? No actual idea, just guessing.

Old 24 May 2021, 11:47   #34

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Would you recommend going clockwise or anticlockwise?
I think it would depend on the wind and tide. With a prevailing south westerly, going ACW would mean you were with the wind on the relatively exposed southern side of the island.

You might want to try and avoid a tide against wind scenario so time your run up / down the Solent when the tide is with the wind.

Last but not least, if you are doing it in the morning, the sun (assuming the bloody thing appears again) will be behind you along the south side if you go clockwise.

I've done it as a WAFI a number of times, almost always ACW but once CW in 2001 for the America's Cup Jubilee.
Old 24 May 2021, 11:54   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I think it would depend on the wind and tide. With a prevailing south westerly, going ACW would mean you were with the wind on the relatively exposed southern side of the island.

You might want to try and avoid a tide against wind scenario so time your run up / down the Solent when the tide is with the wind.

Last but not least, if you are doing it in the morning, the sun (assuming the bloody thing appears again) will be behind you along the south side if you go clockwise.

I've done it as a WAFI a number of times, almost always ACW but once CW in 2001 for the America's Cup Jubilee.
Good points thanks.
I'm assuming 70 miles so will need 50 litres with some reserve cans of fuel.
Old 24 May 2021, 12:20   #36

RIBase
As Matt knows, the Round The Island Powerboat race, which hasnt run for a while now, always went round anti clockwise...did that a few times.....ive been round clockwise a few times, including once on a Jet Ski as a charity run for Gafirs (went over the handlebars once but all in a good cause). both ways are good, but for leisure purposes I think clockwise is best.
Pity about the lack of harbours on the south side...only Ventnor as far as I know and I'm told that isnt great but have no experience of it.
You have to keep quite a way offshore to avoid the many lobster pots and dont be tempted inshore round Bembridge ledge....plenty of Automatic Gearbox Removers there...
Old 24 May 2021, 12:31   #37

Absolutely. In fact last time I watched the round island sailing race we saw quite a number of yachts hit bembridge ledge. Don’t cut the corner.
Old 24 May 2021, 13:18   #38

Make: RC585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Good points thanks.
I'm assuming 70 miles so will need 50 litres with some reserve cans of fuel.
I've been round 4 or 5 times (starting from the Hamble) and each time I've used about 36/38 litres. That's in an RC585/suz140.
Usually anti-clockwise but once clockwise when it was nice to stop at Yarmouth having done the 'difficult' bits. I think that's the benefit of the clockwise direction.
Whichever way I go, I aim to arrive at the Needles at low water, preferably neaps. The benefit of anti-clockwise I think is that you can abort if the weather turns before you get to the Needles Channel - if you're going clockwise and the weather turns nasty you could be caught between St. Catherine's Point and the Needles.
Old 24 May 2021, 13:28   #39

RIBase
---------"if you're going clockwise and the weather turns nasty you could be caught between St. Catherine's Point and the Needles."

Thats very true and we were probably very lucky to have the perfect conditions to go that way on that day. So flat the water was oily round St Cats with a weird swirling going on...Dolphins in Freshwater bay and everything....just perfect
Old 24 May 2021, 14:01   #40

Quote:
---------"if you're going clockwise and the weather turns nasty you could be caught between St. Catherine's Point and the Needles."

So flat the water was oily round St Cats with a weird swirling going on...Dolphins in Freshwater bay and everything....just perfect
All good info thanks.

That wierd swirling area was marked on my chart so had a run to see it and you are right. Wierd swirling calm patch.

Don't know how common they are but was with the dolphins for about 1/2hr in Freshwater, year before last.

Tags
rib