Old 29 July 2010, 14:31   #21

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Is this "Resin Transfer" or that something different? I think Ribcraft are now using resin transfer now on a separate line in a separate location to their established factory.
Yarp, resin infusion is another term. In simplistic form you use a bag and a vacuum pump to draw the resin through. Have to be careful you don't get any dead spots where the resin doesn't naturally flow to. Produces a superior laminate to hand lay up if done right so in that respect valiant's quality could be argued to be better. Whether they use the correct layup and quality materials is another matter though, but this is the same for a small scale rib builder too.
Old 29 July 2010, 14:32   #22

Town: North Fambridge
Boat name: TX-760
Make: Vanguard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Leave him alone, he's busy writing Heavy Weather Powerboating two.
I don't mind at all, but all I will pass to the forum readers are facts, and not fiction. . If Valiant were 'absolutely diabolical' I can assure everyone that they would have gone out of business many years ago. If any reader has any questions 'bring it on'
Old 29 July 2010, 14:48   #23

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM SOMERS View Post
I don't mind at all, but all I will pass to the forum readers are facts, and not fiction. . If Valiant were 'absolutely diabolical' I can assure everyone that they would have gone out of business many years ago. If any reader has any questions 'bring it on'

WOT ! No Trade Membership yet ?
Old 29 July 2010, 15:19   #24

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Hi have a DR 490. I have covered some serious milage off the west coast of ireland without any serious misshap. I have the rib 2.5 years now. The only problem that I has was the anchor locker was not as well attached to the deck as I would have liked. I contacted Mr Somers to get some advice on the matter which he provided promptly. I subsquently corrected the problem.

If I was buying another rib I would give serious consideration to the PT 520. I feel that the ride in the DR 490 can be a bit harsh at times. The rib I feel is more able that its owner

TSM
Old 29 July 2010, 15:41   #25

Town: North Fambridge
Boat name: TX-760
Make: Vanguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Hi have a DR 490. I have covered some serious milage off the west coast of ireland without any serious misshap. I have the rib 2.5 years now. The only problem that I has was the anchor locker was not as well attached to the deck as I would have liked. I contacted Mr Somers to get some advice on the matter which he provided promptly. I subsquently corrected the problem.

If I was buying another rib I would give serious consideration to the PT 520. I feel that the ride in the DR 490 can be a bit harsh at times. The rib I feel is more able that its owner

TSM
Both boats can be used comfortably off your coastline. A number of years ago the RNLI did a feasibility study on 5M RIBs. 10-11 were supplied through 10-11 different Manufacturers, many from the UK and a 45hp Tohatsu was fitted. The testing was over 2 days off Appledore in North Devon. We supplied a DR490 and according to them it was the 'best performing RIB' in all testing and was the only RIB that worked safely in a surf. The study was carried out to look at other options to the Class D conventional inflatable which is great in a surf , but more restrictive in other uses. The Patrol 520 is an even deeper V hull with the advantage of inboard tank and under-deck trunking.
Old 29 July 2010, 17:08   #26

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
That wasn't aimed at you, it was gotchi who is still at school.
Old 29 July 2010, 17:49   #27

Town: Dartmouth
Mmmm... fast turning in to an advert.
Old 29 July 2010, 17:59   #28

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Bigwuss7 rated his valiant.

Not that that counts for jack.
Old 29 July 2010, 18:54   #29

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Bigwuss7 rated his valiant.

Not that I know jack.
Oh look .... the posting fairy has been in

But it is a fact, I had a 5.7 bought new in 2007/8 and was impressed with the tube quality and layout.. I never had a pump near it in 2 years! .. bow locker could have had a bit sturdier door but that was a minor point .. it was a nice looking rib, with grey blue tubes and patches, and despite being a relatively shallow V .. I found with some forward weight it handled really well .. being my 6th RIB I've owned in 14 years, I'd like to think that qualifies me with some reasonable judgement

I'd have another anyday
Old 29 July 2010, 19:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I had a 5'7" model bought new in 2007/8 and was impressed with her quality and layout.. I never had a pump near her in 2 years! .. Chutney locker could have had a bit sturdier, but that was a minor point .. She was a nice looking pink colour, with grey blue eyes and elbow patches, and despite having a relatively shallow V....... I found with some forward weight she handled really well .. being my 6th inflatable I've owned in 14 years, I'd like to think that qualifies me with some reasonable judgement

I'd have another anyday

Blessed fairy.
Old 29 July 2010, 19:35   #31
RIBnet supporter

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Merlin
Make: RB4 Gemini 550
Engine: Tohatsu 90C
sniping aside !!
and no I dont have a Valiant and have never had one, here is a Valiant representative standing up for his product. Fair play.
I have never seen an "official" Avon representative on here (still I suppose they all speak French now!) . I approve of people defending the products they represent.
There have been lots of threads on here over the years asking for comparative opinions between Valiant Ribs and other manufacturers products,
so I would welcome some more trade membership from major manufacturers and some more contribution from them, without it turning into an advertising
forum ! I would like to think we are the "pointy bit" of the end user profile, so having their technical involvement with members issues and their product knowledge available, could only benefit us all.
Old 29 July 2010, 19:51   #32
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
In reply to Alex's 'AD' Messages on July 12 That 'Valiants aren't built very well ', and 'The Valiants are absolutely diabolical' as the UK & Irish Distributors for Valiant I believe we should reply to your Members purely with Facts about the Valiant Brand.
Graham - your feedback is helpful in the interets of balance; the alternative viewpoint has I think been expressed by other people in the past (BigMuz, Ian (from Cornwall), and I think SeaSkills have all made positive posts in the past which I remember - there may have been others)
Quote:
1: Valiant is the second largest EU RIB Builder in the EU Zone behind Zodiac. We build RIBs from 2.4 metres to 12 Metres including Cabin RIBs, Solas RIBs, Inboard & Jet Drive RIBs & Deep V Patrol Offshore RIBs for Commercial & Military use.
Whilst I think its not unreasonable for you to "respond" to the criticism of your product it also surprises me that the biggest RIB manufacturers in Europe don't think it is worth spending a hundred quid a year to support the forum - giving direct access to around 6000 rib enthusiasts. Involvement with these "serious" ribbers - could surely only increase the credibility of your boats as "serious" ribs rather than flimsy toys?
Quote:
3: We build more RIBs than all the UK RIB Manufacturers put together, all of which are ISO 9001:2000 Certified
as you know your boats are not ISO9001 certified, although your quality management systems may be. ISO9001 does not certify product quality - and there is no reason why an ISO9001 compnay cannot churn out low quality high volume product.
Old 29 July 2010, 20:00   #33
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
and there is no reason why an ISO9001 compnay cannot churn out low quality high volume product.
... like Quicksilver Pilothouses
Old 29 July 2010, 20:32   #34

Town: Chichester
Speaking from the perspective of someone who has been repairing and servicing RIBs for 12 years now. I have never had a Valiant RIB to repair which was due to a fault of the build quality or process. They are well built boats.

As said above, it is good that Graham has come on here.

Cheers

Stephen
Old 29 July 2010, 20:38   #35

Town: Gran Canaria
Boat name: Jable
Make: valiant
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard
Hi Mr GRAHAM:
The post name is ¨Valiant The Facts not Fiction¨.
Well, I am sorry, but I absolutely disagree with what You are saying.
I own a Valiant PT1000 and I have a lots of reasons to contradict yourself.
If You want, we can talk here or in private. If it were here (in the Forum) I would show you my reasons (facts and pictures) in a week. I am just waiting to the Valiant¨s representative¨s answer in Spain the next week (which arrives three years later).

Pd: Sorry for my English.
Old 29 July 2010, 20:57   #36

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
I as have stated before, I owned a 570 for over 3 years and sold to to a friend and so continue to hear about it.
The ONLY fault I had was a anchor locker lid replaced under warrenty. We had a non-standard layout, two jockey seats and a rear bench. This puts more weight forward and in my opinion gives a more balanced ride. I dont know why the company does not make this the standard fit in the UK market.
A good boat, easy to tow and launch and the performance (40kts+) was exceptional. Like others, I have told the new owner to give me first call if he sells it.
Nothing broke or bent and believe me, we had her out in conditions that would test any RIB very well.

Steve
Old 29 July 2010, 21:22   #37

Town: Chichester
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Trevally View Post
Hi Mr GRAHAM:
The post name is ¨Valiant The Facts not Fiction¨.
Well, I am sorry, but I absolutely disagree with what You are saying.
I own a Valiant PT1000 and I have a lots of reasons to contradict yourself.
If You want, we can talk here or in private. If it were here (in the Forum) I would show you my reasons (facts and pictures) in a week. I am just waiting to the Valiant¨s representative¨s answer in Spain the next week (which arrives three years later).

Pd: Sorry for my English.
So you are in fact saying you disagree with these points?....

""1: Valiant is the second largest EU RIB Builder in the EU Zone behind Zodiac. We build RIBs from 2.4 metres to 12 Metres including Cabin RIBs, Solas RIBs, Inboard & Jet Drive RIBs & Deep V Patrol Offshore RIBs for Commercial & Military use.
2: The Company is 100% owned by Brunswick the Worlds largest provider of boats and marine engines including: Boston Whaler, Sealine, Searay, Bayliner, Mercury, Mariner & Mercruiser.
3: We build more RIBs than all the UK RIB Manufacturers put together, all of which are ISO 9001:2000 Certified and our client list includes the French, German, Portuguese & Spanish Military. A full list can be accessed on our website: www.ibs-boats.com and downloading our Professional Catalogue.
4: We offer the Worlds longest Tube and Seam warranty for our Akron PU Fabric, 10 years, and our Warranty is not 'Back to Base' but through a UK Service Network.Our seam strength is stronger than the fabric and our fabric is 5 times more abrasion resistant than Hypalon.
5: Our hulls are laminated using a method from the aeronautical industry to ensure a precise strength to weight ratio, no dry spots,a perfect finish every time and no unnecessary weight which reduces speed and fuel economy. ""

Tell us.
Old 29 July 2010, 21:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen-RIB View Post
2: The Company is 100% owned by Brunswick the Worlds largest provider of boats and marine engines including: Boston Whaler, Sealine, Searay .
All but the Sealine being slapped together using cheap Mexican Labour.

Searay produced a good product 10yrs ago.
Old 29 July 2010, 21:35   #39

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
All but the Sealine being slapped together using cheap Mexican Labour.
Sealine preferring to use cheap midlands/Polish labour?
Old 29 July 2010, 21:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Sealine preferring to use cheap midlands/Polish labour?
Yep.

TBF, Sealine is a better boat now than 20yrs ago. However, 20yrs ago they were a budget option.