Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
There speaks the voice of experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
shows how little I know about it all

I will try to keep shtum in future I think!!

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 07:31   #42

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
I think the problem with many of the RIbs that are assembled by the dealers is that the assembly is only as good as the guy putting them together - it can have the best laminated hull in the world, but if the console isn't attached properly that isn't very helpful!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2010, 08:08   #43

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think the problem with many of the RIbs that are assembled by the dealers is that the assembly is only as good as the guy putting them together - it can have the best laminated hull in the world, but if the console isn't attached properly that isn't very helpful!
I agree completely with that statement, it's the same when getting a company to service your boat or install/fix something, I had an 'issue' a while ago when I upgraded my nav lights, a person (will not name) put them on with only one screw on each where originally they had 4 srews securing them on each side. You could move them with your hand, would have fallen off within a couple of hours boating. I wasn't impressed and ended up doing them myself redrilling 4 neat holes on either side of Aframe and fitting properly. So yes I agree how boats are made or fitted out the quality of such is dependant upon the person/persons doing the work.
Old 30 July 2010, 08:12   #44

Town: North Fambridge
Boat name: TX-760
Make: Vanguard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Graham - your feedback is helpful in the interets of balance; the alternative viewpoint has I think been expressed by other people in the past (BigMuz, Ian (from Cornwall), and I think SeaSkills have all made positive posts in the past which I remember - there may have been others)
Whilst I think its not unreasonable for you to "respond" to the criticism of your product it also surprises me that the biggest RIB manufacturers in Europe don't think it is worth spending a hundred quid a year to support the forum - giving direct access to around 6000 rib enthusiasts. Involvement with these "serious" ribbers - could surely only increase the credibility of your boats as "serious" ribs rather than flimsy toys?
as you know your boats are not ISO9001 certified, although your quality management systems may be. ISO9001 does not certify product quality - and there is no reason why an ISO9001 compnay cannot churn out low quality high volume product.
We did book a 6 Month 'banner ad' which has now run out. Is this what you are talking about ? No one approaced us from Ribnet to renew for another 6 months, and I admit it has been overlooked at this end.
Old 30 July 2010, 09:57   #45

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM SOMERS View Post
We did book a 6 Month 'banner ad' which has now run out. Is this what you are talking about ? No one approaced us from Ribnet to renew for another 6 months, and I admit it has been overlooked at this end.
Graham I think he means joining as a "trade member" if you look under your username on the left of each post you will see you have "Member" whereas I have "RIBnet supporter" (having parted with a bit of cash) and Cookee has "Trade member" having parted with a little more - which gives advertising rights etc. You can see the trade members here http://www.rib.net/forum/showgroups.php but most of the businesses that post regularly on RIBnet are trade members.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2010, 22:00   #46

Town: San Diego
Mercury / Valiant

Graham,
I was looking to purchase a new Mercury DR570 from a dealer her in California and the dealer said that Mercury doesn't plan to offer them in the US anymore. If this is at all correct, I'm assuming this is just in the US? They are offering a great price, but he said once his inventory is gone they won't be able to get any more. I'm a little hesitant to buy a model that will be discontinued immediately.

Based on the title of this thread I was hoping you can provide the facts. We don't have as many options here in the US and I really like the DR570. Especially for the price they are offering.

Thank you Graham and thanks to everyone on this forum. I've been reading this site every day to figure out the best engine, gear, etc combinations.
Old 20 September 2010, 02:38   #47

Town: Carlsbad, CA
Length: no boat
craigleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAHAM SOMERS View Post
I don't mind at all, but all I will pass to the forum readers are facts, and not fiction. . If Valiant were 'absolutely diabolical' I can assure everyone that they would have gone out of business many years ago. If any reader has any questions 'bring it on'
New unknowing RIB shopper here; what are the necessary components of a quality durable practical RIB? I am planning to chase around the San Diego, CA ocean area on day trips. I', looking to take usually at most, 6 people, little and large. I will want to fish and be able to go fast, mostly ocean coastal water and Mission Bay. Cat/Deep V? Hypalon/PVC?, seating configurations? Dual outboard/single outboard? I own a BMW R1200R motorcycle which is a street bike that does everything very well. I would like a RIB with the same level
of versatility, build quality and great performance, while not necessarily being uber priced.
Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Leo
Old 30 May 2012, 14:02   #48

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
I love my V620 with honda 115 but I went out in a F4/5 for 5 hours and found I'd cracked the transom along the join at the top so how do you fix that? Bit gutted as it had struck me as a solid boat.
Old 30 May 2012, 15:45   #49

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack101 View Post
I love my V620 with honda 115 but I went out in a F4/5 for 5 hours and found I'd cracked the transom along the join at the top so how do you fix that? Bit gutted as it had struck me as a solid boat.
I had the same problem with a 3.8M Valiant I owned, had it sorted by a boat builder.

After that purchased a V520, it got some grief, but no issues with cracks etc.
Old 30 May 2012, 16:05   #50

Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Do you know how it was repaired as I don't know if I should glass from inside the bulge space or over the stern
Old 30 May 2012, 16:28   #51
KND

Town: Altrincham
Boat name: Vonny
Make: Valiant
Engine: Outboard 60hp
Speaking from Experience.
I am the owner of an 8 year old Valiant Vanguard 520. I bought it 2nd hand from a guy who ws in financial difficulty, he did not want to sell it. In the 4 years I have owned the boat, It has been used in lots of different sea conditions, including the recent Ribnet cruise from Caernarfon Bar to Baeumaris and back. Us smaller Ribs were battered at times. We managed to stuff the bow on several occassions with 30mph gusts of WOT. We evan took air a couple of times. Nothing has ever fallen off or broken. In the 4 years I have owned the boat, I have never ever had to inflate the sponsons, except after hot weather manual deflation. The Vanguard is not the deepest of hulls, but horses for courses, it's been a great family Rib. Every Rib has its pros and cons and the pros for the Vanguard are reliability, styling. very easy to launch, great stable platform in good wether for fishing or towing the kids on ringos. I would have no hesitation in reccomending Valiant as a brand to anyone.