Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 17 March 2012, 09:16   #1

Town: Perth
Make: Zodiac Pro 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F100
Removing old glue on PVC tubes

I've done a search on thesite and have not found anything other than sanding that will remove old glue. My Zodiac has tube covers that attaches via valcro strips that were glued top the tube (onto strips of PVC) Over the years the cover has taken a beating and the strips are now pulling away. The valcro is obviously not UV stabilised so it's degrading quickly. In areas where the stips have come away from the boat I'm left with ugly yellow/brown glue marks.

My thoughts are:
1. If I can find a solvent that will remove the glue but not damage or discolour the tube I'd be one happy camper
2. Removing all the old strips and then re-glueing some new strips of PVC. The new strips will serve no purpose other than cover the old glue

Here's a pic of the ugly glue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	66317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	66318  
Old 17 March 2012, 10:09   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Makaira
Make: Forge Marine
Length: 7m +
Engine: BMW 50HP
Solvent

After taking some very good advice from the professional toobers on here I did the following on a PVC repair which involved removing the old glue.

1. I Heated the workshop up with a gas fired blower. This makes the PVC much more workable.

2. I Used MEK Solvent (Butanone) and much elbow grease to remove the old glue and clean the tube surface. It did not discolour the PVC.

3. You must remember to use Chem Barrier gloves as the MEK will eat away the latex disposables.

4. You must turn the gas blower off before you start with the MEK or you might have a nasty fire.

5. You must use a well ventilated area and face masks etc as it is pretty nasty stuff to use.

If in doubt ask the guys in the trade on here and they will give you excellent help and advice.

After 8 years that clean and repair job is still as good as the day I did the job. Good luck.
Old 17 March 2012, 10:22   #3

Town: Perth
Make: Zodiac Pro 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F100
Thanks! I would be affraid that it leaves the PVC surface "tacky" like Acetone does? I'm not sure where in Australia I can lay may hands on MEK but I'll make some enquiries on Monday.
Old 30 May 2012, 02:33   #4

Town: Sydney
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafari View Post
Thanks! I would be affraid that it leaves the PVC surface "tacky" like Acetone does? I'm not sure where in Australia I can lay may hands on MEK but I'll make some enquiries on Monday.
Seafari - did you locate the MEK and if so how did it work for your application? Some pics would be great!

Cheers.