Town: BRISTOL
Boat name: A modern classic
Make: Picton
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 60 EFI
Upgrade to a RIB - advice appreciated

Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader!

I would appreciate any advice / comments on my current predicament.

For the last 6-7 years I have been happily using my 15" Picton speedboat (for the want of a better expression) around the Torbay coastline. However, anything more than about 0.75M+ of chop and the slapping all gets a bit uncomfortable after a short while. So, I'm intent on replacing the boat with an equivalent 5M RIB, which will give me more (comfortable) time on the water. I know there are a million or more threads on here about the best sized RIB, so I won't open that one up again, and stick with 5M.

Here's my question. In July 2021, after the original Mariner 60hp 2-stroke outboard finally became too unreliable, I switched it out for a new Mariner 60HP 4-stroke ELPT EFI engine. Maybe my judgement was impaired from COVID cabin-fever. What I'd like to do now, if its feasible, is buy a 5M RIB (boat only) and have the Mariner engine transferred onto it. 3 questions come to mind:
1. Does this sound even remotely sensible?
2. Is there a particular make / model of RIB that can accommodate a long shaft outboard?
3. What are the chances of me finding a decent used 5M boat without a motor?

If anyone has any thoughts that they would be prepared to share on this I would appreciate it.
Old 26 March 2023, 14:20   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
All sounds perfectly feasible to me.
60hp on a 5m won’t set the world on fire, but as long as you’re lightly loaded you’ll be ok.

Finding a boat with a long shaft
transom shouldn’t be a problem.

Ideally find a good hull with a knackered engine & voila!
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 15:43   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictonconvert View Post
Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader!

I would appreciate any advice / comments on my current predicament.

For the last 6-7 years I have been happily using my 15" Picton speedboat (for the want of a better expression) around the Torbay coastline. However, anything more than about 0.75M+ of chop and the slapping all gets a bit uncomfortable after a short while. So, I'm intent on replacing the boat with an equivalent 5M RIB, which will give me more (comfortable) time on the water. I know there are a million or more threads on here about the best sized RIB, so I won't open that one up again, and stick with 5M.

Here's my question. In July 2021, after the original Mariner 60hp 2-stroke outboard finally became too unreliable, I switched it out for a new Mariner 60HP 4-stroke ELPT EFI engine. Maybe my judgement was impaired from COVID cabin-fever. What I'd like to do now, if its feasible, is buy a 5M RIB (boat only) and have the Mariner engine transferred onto it. 3 questions come to mind:

1. Does this sound even remotely sensible?

2. Is there a particular make / model of RIB that can accommodate a long shaft outboard?

3. What are the chances of me finding a decent used 5M boat without a motor?

If anyone has any thoughts that they would be prepared to share on this I would appreciate it.
Absolutely sensible! Depending on the hull shape you may find little difference in the ride quality from your speedboat though, many rib hulls took their planeing area from speedboats so ride similarly. As with speedboats rib hulls can vary dramatically in ride quality so do your research carefully. Generally a deeper vee will ride better in the rough but will require more power to get it moving. The big bonus of a rib is if you stuff it or take a wave over the side you will more than likely continue on your way which is far less likely with the speedboat. Most ribs around the 4.5m+size will be longshaft so engine should fit just take a tape measure 20 -21"is longshaft. 60hp isn't huge for anything over 5m but will get you along an Avon sr5.4 would get along with a 60 but wouldn't set the world on fire something like a 4.8 ribcraft or 5m xs would be a more reasonable match for your engine, remember ribs feel bigger than speedboats due to being open & not loosing half the boat to foredeck.
Finding a good rib hull might limit your options but looking for a complete rig with an older engine and selling the old engine on might be a good option, used outboards on their own sell very well and may recoup more than you would think or you could swap the older engine onto your hull & sell as a package.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app
Old 26 March 2023, 16:52   #4

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Wildcard for you

https://www.ribworld.co.uk/humber-as...essional-rib9/

Tags
rib