Old 23 March 2023, 22:24   #1

Length: 3m +
Fuel Stabiliser

OK. Daft Q time.

Does fuel Stabiliser stop fuel going off OR fix fuel that has gone off?

I've got 22L of E5 that's 8 months old and 5L of something that smells of petrol that might be 8momths old or 8 years old as it came in a green can I'm the boat...

I decided to slosh a wee bit of the green can I'm the Mrs Motor... She told me it was almost full. She needs to understand that not yet on the yellow light is not almost full. Anyway... Turns out whatever is I'm that can ain't great.

Assuming the guy who flogged me the boat was right and the red can has E5 in it, it's probably still past it's best... ...can I salvage it with stabiliser or did that need added at the start? Not sure the Mrs is letting me give her free fuel again... ...and any other disposal route is a PITA
Old 24 March 2023, 09:04   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You didn't state what happened to the missus' car? Big sick or Wee sick?

On the whole, a very old can of petrol is a disposal job. As you say, a PITA. Ideally, if you had a younger and somewhat gullible brother, you would find some fiendishly clever way of tricking him into accepting it...

Old 24 March 2023, 10:56   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
You need a 4-stroke Honda mower... they will burn any old fuel without complaint... 75:1 2-stroke as well. Having said that we are going elec on the mower front today so that is an avenue lost to us from now on.

And no, stabiliser can't recover bad old fuel. Even extending the life of fresh fuel may be more snake oil than anything but I add it because it makes me feel I've done my best.
Old 24 March 2023, 21:14   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
At 8 months it should be ok I’ve just mowed the lawn with some that old stabiliser just extends its life and if it’s in a full can filled to the top it will last longer you can also mix with new fuel to dilute. I’ve found if it’s brown it’s buggered
Old 25 March 2023, 07:05   #5

Older brother might be getting a can of vintage fuel for his Christmas. I'll stick a bow on it an everything!

Medium sick is probably the right answer. Loss of power. Engine management lights. Stopped. Resurrected by filling to the brim with E5 and two bottles of redex.
Old 25 March 2023, 07:09   #6

It's clear. But so is some sea water.
Old 25 March 2023, 11:25   #7

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Dont know if this is any assurance to anyone with last years fuel but I will add my twopence anyhoo.

Your post reminded me that I filled and mixed a 5 litre container of E5 last year in April.. mixed 50:1 with quicksilver two stroke oil for good measure .. for my Aux outboard.

There was also half an internal tank in the outboard from the same time. No snake oil whatsoever.. Its 11 months old ..plenty time to bubble and brew if it wanted too

I set it up this morning to get it ready for the new season. Took 7 pulls to start which was not surprising as I run the carb dry after use.

Its been kept all winter in a damp outside locker but with fuel tank firmly closed.

Im pleased but not surprised its working perfect.Not even any smokier than normal. My plan is to use the rest of the fuel over the next couple of days camping up the loch..so I have a new batch for the season.

I also have 50 litres in the tanks of my larger inflatable.. again E5 but bought in September.. so it will definitely be fine therefore Im not starting that outboard up yet Its for the 4stroke EFI.

I gave up the snake oil long time ago ..Guinness and Brewdog mix being my preferred tipple now.
Old 25 March 2023, 18:34   #8

RIBase
I’m using aspen fuel in my merc Aux lasts 5 years it’s expensive but for those engines that don’t get used much worth it IMO
Old 25 March 2023, 18:57   #9

Yes Jeff I'm seriously considering that with the sadly very intermittent use our Tohatsu 9.8 gets bearing in mind we are a single motor setup and a two mile paddle home is best avoided. The amount Mrs F spends in a day at the races would buy Aspen for a whole year's sibbing the rate we get out!
Old 25 March 2023, 21:38   #10
RIBnet Supporter

Just a note for Aspen users. I've used both Aspen straight and premix and in one marine application, found that the premix didn't run very well (hard to start). So I've used the Aspen 4 plus TCW-3 added since, no issues.
Old 25 March 2023, 23:08   #11

Useful to know. I was going to give the Tohatsu a taste and see what it thinks.
Old 26 March 2023, 09:24   #12

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Never had a problem with any of my outboards and have just started my Mercury 9.9 with fuel that is at least 2 years old and that with unbranded petrol in Portugal. In my selection of motorbikes that only do a few miles per year the fuel will be 4 years old this May. I always use Esso super something that has no ethanol and as yet never had any starting problems. Don’t really understand all the fuss and if you have to throw away a few litres of juice then so be it.
Old 26 March 2023, 11:44   #13

Really it is just another layer of precaution that's available. I mean I carry VHF, PLB, laser flare, compass, torch, anchor, spare spark plug/tools etc... also wear a lifejacket or buoyancy aid and use a kill cord. But in over a decade of sibbing none of those things have actually been needed.

And so it may be with old fuel never letting me down for the rest of my boating years... however in case it might one day I'm considering the option.
Old 26 March 2023, 13:21   #14

RIBase
The good thing is it’s ethernol free I did have issues with a chainsaw fuel pipe’s broke down with E5. The mixed aspen is 50:1 for info
Old 26 March 2023, 14:12   #15

I won't use the pre-mixed Aspen because it's not meant for outboards, just land based air cooled machinery.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:38   #16

Just a bit of info for the Nth degree small outboard intermittent use folks like myself.

Been in touch with Tohatsu who confirm Aspen type fuel is fine for Tohatsus but they, like Willk, advise not using the pre-mix but adding your own TCW3 oil to the straight Aspen4.

I've researched pricing and Husqvana garden machinery dealers sell their own Aspen type Alkylate fuel which is usually 25-30% cheaper than the Aspen brand. Folks may say even that cost is too high to be considered but for our 9.8 the extra cost above pump petrol for a day on the river would be £5 and for our average holiday fuel use perhaps £60 extra. Not that significant besides the £185 of diesel in the car, cottage rental, meals out etc on holiday.

And actually as Alkylate fuel and petrol are 100% compatible on the holiday's higher use period you could use pump petrol for most of that period just going over to Alkylate for the final tank ready for the more intermittent use period.

This fuel type is also sold as Stihl Moto4Plus.

Hmm food for thought.