Old 23 April 2002, 09:49   #1

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
Two Trips - Two Stops

My Humber seems to be attracting the attention of the authorities on the East Coast (not suprisingly)

A short lunch trip to Bradwell from The Orwell resulted in the Essex Police Rib pulling me over around the Colne entrance--usual third degree etc. but ultimately friendly.

Yesterday I did Ipswich - Calais- Ipswich and got the full monty search from Customs whilst refuelling in Ramsgate.

Hopefully they will now have logged my details.

A good day was had although the Channel was lumpy which kept the speed down a bit .The Humber hull certainly proved itself in my opinion and didn't give us a real scare.

As usual the forecast 3/4 seemed at least 5.

Having spent a long day in the boat in less than ideal conditions puts in to perspective the achievements of those who undertake around Britain etc.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:55   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Phil are you surprised.............

Big Black RIB, Big Black engine?!! Shouts Drug Smuggler or SBS doesn't it

Sounds like an interesting trip. If you were ever planning another one let me know as I'd be interested in accompanying you. The other thing I've considered is a trip across to Belgium. How about it sometime?

Alan
Old 23 April 2002, 11:49   #3

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
I'd be very interested in a Belgium trip Alan;If you could think about some possible dates weekdays or w/ends then I will try to get a pass.

E-mail me at p.berry@tsslaw.com

The trip yesterday was decided on Saturday when an old friend mentioned that Monday was a free day for him so I decided to go for it.

With the days now getting longer the opportunity is there! On reflection I would leave earlier to allow longer the other side.We had about an hour and a half in Calais which was not long enough but I did not want to night navigate unless necessary.To be fair the navigation turned out to be spot on so it shouldn't have been a problem. Basic route was Harwich past Medusa (Green) to Black Deep 2;down Black Deep, hang a left just before Fishermans Gat and then almost due south to N. Foreland.

Although I had the charts for the Channel and waypoints noted I had not written in the lat and long on the chart -a quick nav session in Ramsgate ; past Quern buoy then to Goodwin Fork, S.Goodwin light vessel then 135 across to CA6.

Ramsgate Port Control were their usual efficient selves but Calais were more difficult and it was quite busy-had to hang around for 10 to let a couple of ferries in.

Anyway years ago I was bought a Belgian courtesy flag but it has never been used.

Look forward to doing a joint trip