Old 19 April 2002, 11:59   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Spirit of Cardiff photos

Jonathan Tilney of MarineImage.co has got a series of pictures that he took on the leaving weekend in Cardiff.

Have a look at www.marineimage.com/s-o-c/

John
Old 19 April 2002, 17:58   #2

Town: Ballymena
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 4.5mtrs
Engine: Outboard 50hp
Spirit of Cardiff photos

Good to see excellent photos of the Spirit of Cardiff for those of us unfortunate beings that didn't make the send off.

What type of vessel was the photographer using?
Old 19 April 2002, 19:30   #3

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
I see that Quicksilver managed to muscle in on the picture!

Cheers

Keith (it may be small but it WAS there) Hart
Old 20 April 2002, 12:12   #4

Town: Penarth
Make: Avon
Length: 4.2m
Engine: Yamaha 50 Pro 2 stroke
As just an onlooker to RIBnet forums in the past, I have finally taken the plunge and joined your excellent forum.

In answer to the question about what vessel, I am of course in a rib, what else!

It's an Avon 4.2m. For a pic, look here...

http://www.marineimage.com/photographer.htm

I have to say that, having spent a few hundred hours in it over the last couple of years, I now appreciate it isn't as dry as it might be and I'd prefer a deeper V. At the end of a long day the "wave slaps" get pretty tiring.
Old 20 April 2002, 22:34   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Jonathon
My own digital camers is at the end of it's useful life (a Kodak DC120).
What would you recommend I look at as a replacement, bearing in mind the following:
water-proofing/guarding
shock resistance
don't need a "professional standard" camera-it's only for my amateur snaps
I need to plug into my PC which runs Windows XP
Appreciate any pointers you can give me.
Brian
PS I was to your immediate right as we went out through the barrier at the SOC sendoff.
Old 21 April 2002, 16:01   #6

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Hi Brian.Trust you are well?! As many people as there are on this forum, I suspect, is the amount of opinions you are going to get. I use the Olympus 990zoom, which I am extremely pleased with :
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/di...igital+Cameras

Since Olympus invented the digital camera the results you get far supasses anything else I have seen in it's price bracket.
Hope this helps, see you soon.
Old 21 April 2002, 16:08   #7
Groupie

Town: In my bed in Cardiff
Make: Still dreaming
Length: Definately dreaming
Engine: Dream size
Pretty good huh!!

"Just add water / liquid to have fun"

Counting the days of the ~SOC~ trip.
Nadia Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2002, 18:27   #8

Brian

Charles is dead right, however here is my contribution.

Bear in mind that I speak as a professional photographer as well (murder scenes, fatal car accidents etc.). One of the lads in my office has just purchased a Nikon Cool Pix 2500. What a camera! I've no idea why we are still using 35mm SLRs when there are digital cameras like this around.

See: http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/news_...2002/e2500.htm

The rrp is about £299.00 but they are available already on the web at about £260.00. This camera was only released about a couple of weeks ago.

Keith (snapper) Hart
Old 21 April 2002, 19:03   #9

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
depends what you want to do with it!!

I have a Kodak DC280 and have taken 2186 pics with it so far (think how much that has saved me on film and prints!!)

My requirements were

Good Quality - Mine is 2.0 "megapixels" - this I think is the minimum if you ever want to turn your digital pics into prints at the local boots.

Capacity - I was lucky and my camera came with a 32Mb Flash card. I also added a 64Mb card giving me a capcity of about 150 pics at full resolution - enough for your 2 week holiday before getting back to your PC to download them all!

Simplicity - Why do you need all these "effects" built into the camera? - you can do this on your MAC (or PC) at home - and still have the original. Gimicks if you ask me.

Standard batterys - Mine takes 4 AA - I normaly use rechargables, but if they are flat I can get some AA's anywhere.

The only problem with mine is its a bit heavy and bulky, but something like the slim Fuji's have lithium batteries and seem a little over complicated for the general happy snapper.

Tip of the day - get yourself a "Flash Card Reader" this way you can put all the photos that you want printing at boots back onto the card and simply take the card along. Although my camera connects via USB and "appears" as a drive - you can't write back to the card.
Old 21 April 2002, 19:38   #10

Town: Northants
35m v Digital

Keith

Sadly your using them because not all the judiciary are comfortable with the evidence chain associated with digital photography. Our A.I's have been using digital for 3 years now, with no problem through HM Coroners Court. SOCO still use 35m

Nationally, and pleasingly though things are moving on - after all it is the 21st century. When W/Mids finally moves across, you must convince them they need a (salt) water proof model
Old 21 April 2002, 20:23   #11

Hi Sejay

Perhaps not the right forum for this but....

We do use digital for some things, and there is the technology to 'fix' the image against interference. The daft thing is that I could do all sorts of things to the 'film' image of the 35m if I wanted but no one seems to bother about that.

But, back to the question. The Nikon coolpix 2500, is small, clever, convenient, good quality, fits in your pocket, has a huge memory and extra cards, loads straight into the computer....

It is well worth considering Brian. As for waterproof - keep it in a plastic bag.

Of course it does not look so good (posy) as having a 35m SLR with lots of interchangable lenses, tripod, Metz flash, large battery pack etc. etc.

Keith (flasher) Hart
Old 22 April 2002, 07:39   #12

Town: Newfoundland
You've seen my camera Brian.......

Fuji Finepix 2800 Zoom. 2.1 Mp + 6x optical zoom. Go for at least 2.1mp and 3 x OPTICAL zoom. I'm chuffed to nuts with mine except for one thing .... its too damn slow for action shots. E.g take a picture of a RIB in motion and you get the stern half as the damn things gone out of shot before the camera has processed the image. Not sure whether this is a fault or just one of those things with my camera or digital camera's as a whole. Any thoughts anyone?!
Old 22 April 2002, 08:32   #13

Town: Penarth
Make: Avon
Length: 4.2m
Engine: Yamaha 50 Pro 2 stroke
Which digital camera is a nightmare question and as already said, as many opinions as people expressing them!

If you're on the sea, then a degree of "water resistance" is pretty high on the agenda I would say (I'm thinking of ingress of salt just by being exposed to saltwater air).

I use the Nikon D1 which has been under torrents of water and just gets a good wipe down with a cloth squeezed out in fresh water after every time on the water. I don't know what the inside looks like but the outside is OK!

I also us a Coolpix 990 which also gets rave reviews from a number of pro photographers and is often a backup/snapshot/candid tool. Worth looking at the new 3m pixel 995 version.

I would also recommend checking out Ebay and Yahoo auctions for deals on digitals. People are upgrading all the time having barely used excellent kit. (I saved £250 that way).

On digital film, I use Lexar and again buy from the US on E-bay (new cards.) Get the tiny "Jumpshot" USB cable connection and it's all you ever need.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:53   #14

Town: Poole
There is a review of various digital cameras in "PC Magazine" this month, it may be worth a look.

My Kodak DC260 is a little long in the tooth now but has served me well, with over 1000 photo's taken. Even with this old timer ( the camera, not me !! ) the picture quality is superb.

Regards

Mark
Old 23 April 2002, 09:05   #15

Hi folks

Well as Charles said.........

One thing you CAN be sure of, digital cameras are a great tool, and you can get a good camera at a good price whatever one you choose.

Keith (king of the Parenthesis) Hart
Old 23 April 2002, 09:49   #16

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Do you want to construct a poll for digital cameras
Mr Parenthesis?
Old 23 April 2002, 10:04   #17

Town: Soesterberg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4.2
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke
Cool

Just to add a small contribution...in a recent test in Holland, the Coolpix 995 was tested best buy. Possibilities are unlimited and the quality of the lense is very high. Highly regarded is the macro setting of this camera.

Good hunting!

Eddy
Old 23 April 2002, 10:29   #18

Hello

I think the coolpix 2500 (out this month) is the newer version of the Coolpix 995, so keep an eye out for discounted 995's.

Keith (considering Charles' idea ) Hart
Old 23 April 2002, 10:43   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
It looks like I am going for the Canon A40.
Reasons:
it's quite simple (like me)
it can take "motor-drive" type shots (not very many per second, I agree, but you know what it's like trying to get any action shot from a fast moving, bucking boat (YES, bucking!!))
I will buy it with a waterproof housing in an attempt to prevent water ingress and damage due to shocking
it's not very expensive
I dont collect it till Thursday so if I am making a terrific boo-boo please tell me.
Old 23 April 2002, 11:56   #20

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Hi

I would thing that the Canon G1 or G2, would be a good choice, as it has the ability to take "fast" pictures 1/2000 Sec. (I think that the max value). If you are i a moving boat, it sure nice to be able to take pictures without averything bounching around, and making stipes on the picture.

I don't use digital yet (I'm looking for a good deal on Canon D30).
My current SLR is a Canon 1N, with the extra moter drive, and I have never had any problem with water or bouncing pictures.

Rene