Old 01 June 2005, 13:39   #21

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Dont listen to her.

I phoned my parents and informed them I was departing as I could not get hold of Rosa.

The tent poles - - - -- fair one, but initialy we only needed 1 tent therefore did not have time to check the second. Dont forget I was working up untill Firday night and then had to be in PZ for 0530hrs.
Old 01 June 2005, 13:53   #22

Hightower

I wonder what you did this bank holiday weekend?

Sitting in your Ivory (and no doubt padded) tower looking down on us reckless sorts must be somewhat frustrating.

When you are stood at the pearly gates about to meet your maker I hope you are content with all you have achieved.

I will not regret a single thing i have done - the joy of reaching St Marys sound is something that I suppose you will only read about.

We all risk our lives every day of the week - worry about things you cant control - like like cancer or a drunk driver hitting your kids.

Dont spend your time worrying the things you can fix - I took as many precautions as people advised. I made the crossing and had no real issues other than losing the shoes.

Those that have ventured on the danger side will all have stories of things that went wrong or what they could have done better - I have been honest and shared mine with this forum. Others have the same experiences but keep them to themselves.
Old 01 June 2005, 13:53   #23

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Typical irresponsible IT consultant attitude!!
Old 01 June 2005, 14:17   #24

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Rob, you're my kinda guy (no, I don't mean it in that sort of way)- well done and good onya!!
Old 01 June 2005, 14:20   #25

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cracking Day
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
At the end of the day whats worse? Rob taking all the gear and going out when rough or the Sunday cruiser with kids and no life jackets, kill cord or anything?
Old 01 June 2005, 14:26   #26

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
There is a difference between pushing the limit and being reckless and supporting this type of approach sends the wrong message. Des
Wot a misery. ... Cumon Des lighten up. The guy changed his gear oil, came back and had a kip, repackaged his gear etc. Read between the lines. It takes 3 days and 40 posts on here just to work out how to change the fekin gear oil.

Quote:
Never mind who spilt the oil. I've got coffee all over my desk and keyboard because I took a mouthful just before I read your post!
Old 01 June 2005, 14:41   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Where's garFie?
Old 01 June 2005, 14:48   #28

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Wot a misery. ... Cumon Des lighten up.
Me no, I leave the dour comments to those north of the border Des
Old 01 June 2005, 15:13   #29

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
Guys,

I hate to say it but I admire Rob in a strange sort of way. Ok he went against advice and pushed the limits but at least when he made this post on the forum he didn't try and sugar coat the situation he told everyone where he went wrong honestly and accepted that he did at certain times foul up and make mistakes, we ALL do it. the way we learn is by looking at what other people do and what we have done in the past and build on it. Rob may have built confidence. he may have decided he will never purpously go out in those conditions again but if he found himself in those conditions by accident he would probably be able to get himself out of them calmly and effectivley.

I don't feel it is right to critisise after the event, he is safe and well and learnt lessons just like I am sure some people will learn lessons from him.

lets keep it calm and none critical rib net is a calm forum not a brawling handbag.net forum like some others I could mention lets keep it that way.

I for one would be more than happy to go out in Rob's boat with him. I would probably learn thing and he might do as well lets keep it calm.

Giles
Old 01 June 2005, 15:33   #30

Splitting the vote

Glad to see people are no longer following the "PC" approach and are actually being honest.

Alan Priddy probally had a thousand people telling him he couldnt achieve the amazing feats that he has - if he sat in his armchair being afraid all the things that could have gone wrong he would not left the front door.

Taking risks need to be done in a calculated fashion - but they are just that calculated. I suppose Hightower and the rest of the "dont" possie would still be sitting around the campfire complaining of hunger and cold - whilst certain other indviduals would have made a calculated decision to chase down and do a T-Rex.

Cant wait to get down to Ribex - Im the bald guy with a dodgy head tan dragging a Girlfriend and Child around.

P.S - Has anybody seen Ginger Coasties RIB, V-Nice piece of equipment.
Old 01 June 2005, 15:40   #31

Town: The sunny IOW
Boat name: Jakoby
Make: Flatacraft
Because people wouldn't necessarily do something themselves doesn't mean it is wrong for others to do it.. You can lead a horse to water and all that..

And experiencing near death situations just makes you feel even more alive - I know I have had a few.

The thing is this-

You’ve paid your dues
Time after time
done your sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
you made a few
you had had your share of sand kicked in your face
But you’ve come through..
But it’s been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise - (LOL)
you considered it a challenge before the whole human race
And what have you got to lose ...

If you would do somethings differently next time then do it - either way be as safe as you can for your next escapade...
Old 01 June 2005, 15:52   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Taking risks need to be done in a calculated fashion - but they are just that calculated.
The point is you need to know the figures to calculate the risk and you don’t. You were lucky that is all and next time you might not be. Des
Old 01 June 2005, 16:03   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Man
.....I hate to say it but I admire Rob in a strange sort of way. Ok he went against advice.......
Giles, you must tell me for someone involved in training and rescue how you can admire someone who disregards all that you stand for Are you saying that training is unnecessary or once a qualification is gained all that is learnt should be ignored Des
Old 01 June 2005, 16:30   #34

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Rob
A hell of a story, how did you get lost for 2 hours in Mounts Bay in the Fog if you had a GPS and Charts?

Shaggy
Old 01 June 2005, 17:02   #35

Town: NW/SW/Nigeria
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
Send a message via MSN to Action Man
Des,

I assumed Rob was qualified. As far as I can see he took precautions and of course I believe in training, and further training after that and if it is needed even more. It was more a case of the forum not disintegrating into a slaging match.

I have not followed this situation from the start but I have poked my head in from time to time. I have met a few of the people that thave been advising against Robs actions they are all wonderful. I never said I condoned his actions or that I would do it myself. I definatley don't recall saying or hinting that he should go unprepared or unequiped without training . training is very important, if i didn't think it was I wouldn't have done any would I.

I am a member of a number of fourms most not to do with boating and I have seen how some threads can just drop down the pan from sensible convos to large scale handbagging wich can sometimes extend off the forum into peoples private lives....not good.

lets not let it happen here JK has worked hard to build up a family like forum for adults to discuss topics that are of interest to other adults....lets not get a reputation.

AM
Old 01 June 2005, 17:35   #36

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Although my stance regarding good or bad move remains undecided I take my hat off to Rob, I have a lot of confidence in my RIB and will go out in almost anything - many people on RIBnet know this firsthand - but i would not have made that trip with that boat, that engine and with onyl my dog to help deploy the anchor when all went wrong.

Infact, i am quite prepaired to hand over my well-earned "RIBnet nutter" hat to Rob.

For referance my concerns are mainly engine and lack of crew. Rob refers to fliping - this is not where i see the immediate danger. If the engine fails you will never deploy the aux in those conditions, on your own. You will also struggle to deploy an anchor quickly enough (sea or conventional). Crew are invaluable - you shout it happens.
Old 01 June 2005, 17:50   #37

Town: Fareham
Hey Rob...Chill!!

I admire anyone that pushes the envolope, but I bet that Alan Priddy didn't leave Port without first checking the GPS and a Radio check also he wasn't alone and filed a passage plan with the Coastguard. I'm glad you made your journey safe and sound, even if your dog was Sea sick.

If you bothered to read my posts correctly you'd see that all I was concerned about was IMHO a "gun ho" attitude being wrongly portraid and others reading and thinking this was OK. So I might take the safer more methodical approach, but then most people do...Don't they? All I say is that in the interests of safety more could have been done. By the way I do like to push my and my boats limits but they are obviously not as extreme as yours .

I admire your honesty of the events that happened the day you left, and yes I hope you have learnt something from it, I'm just glad you didn't have a miss-hap, but having at least one crew member is a safer way to go on a journey like this.

By the way, I spent a nice weekend in Germany at the weekend sipping wine on the Rhine and watching the Euopean GP, thank you very much .
Old 01 June 2005, 19:30   #38

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Well said Andy Hightower. A man worth listening to.

Rob why don't you visit the Solent next trip? We'd all love to meet you & hear the story first hand

Us
Old 01 June 2005, 19:48   #39

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
I have read the posts on both of these threads.

Being a boring and prehaps over sensible person i wouldnt have gone the trip but i am the first to admit i have missed out on opportunities because of this attitude.

I am delighted Rob made the trip safely and hopefully learnt from the experience. i can see his views on "Pushing the boundries" and have no problems with that. I would also hope however Rob can see that this wasnt a textbook cruise and is maybe not the best example for other people to follow.

i dont see the point in argueing if rob should or should not have gone. he has done it and been honest in telling us about it. At the risk of sounding contraversial, who are we to apply our standards to other people??
Old 01 June 2005, 19:48   #40

Town: Los Angeles
Boat name: The Boot
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 2000 Tohatsu 50
I hope your dog had a doggy pfd!
boatster is offline   Reply With Quote