Old 01 June 2005, 11:44   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
To go or not to go?

Great to see that this thread has stirred up such concern.

The day was immense - the added effect of no sleep and howling wind and waves really made for an adrenalin packed day.

It all started badly when the chick spilled 15l of 2 stroke oil into the hull.

sorting this out pushed my timings back - drove through the night and got to Penzance @ 0545hrs - was promptly ditched by the Scillion crew. Managed to load the boat zip into my dry suit.....realize i needed a dump...self launch and be ready for the honk honk of the departing ferry - no mean feat I tell you.

Pushing out into the harbor following the ferry I scrolled through the gps for my pre-programmed St Mary's (from my Easter trip) only to discover it was not there, too rough to start faffing around with it so had to bomb back into the harbour. Set the GPS up and made another attempt, the ferry was now rounding the headland. I flew along at around 20knots, stuff flying everywhere water in the face and a dog cowering at my feet. Passed a large coastguard ship in the bay and rounded the headland - food and poorly packed camping equipment now going everywhere. Decided to return to PZ to sort it all out.

Got back into harbor self recovered and proceeded to get my head down for a couple of hours. By the way zipping out of a dry suit on your own is a task and a half.

After 2 hours kip I decided to sort the boat out for my next attempt - quick trip to Iceland seen plenty of bin bags to water proof the tons of gear.

I the had a chat with Ginger Coatstie - whom noticed my gear oil was leaking and milky. Ahh could anything else go wrong?? dont forget everything I touched or put in the boat was covered in oil from the previous spill. I called a Mercury dealer recommended by GingerCoastie, no answer. Not to be deterred I then whizzed to a chandlers in Newlyn. Boughtt heaps of oil and some gasket sealant. Quick gearbox oil change and I figured I was set to go, except the tide is now going out. Blow it I'm going anyway. got some help from some friendly jet skiers and walked the boat along the harbor wall.

The bay was lovely compared to earlier - buoyed up by this I decided "do or die" so I rounded the headland GPS set for Runnel Stone. Seas pick up getting bigger and bigger until I feel like I’m driving through the alps. I had lots of waves rising up and breaking all round me. I had the wind on the nose and I just kept pushing at around 8knots following my dotted line.

Passed the shipping lane and zipped close behind a large container ship - getting loads of strange looks from the crew as I was bobbing along.

Decided I should do a radio check as I was now at the mid way point - no reply, great stuff I flip and it really is all over.

Although the seas were big - I never felt like I was out of control, Hotrocks would just rise up the face of them and drop off the back. It was much more comfortable to take them at 45 degrees, although I did not want to traverse to much off my precious dotted line.

In the end I cruised into St Mary's - only to find the family had turned their phones off and were nowhere to be seen (they did not think I would set off).

My shoes were washed over board.

Went over to St Agnes and set up the tents - met the family later on - bought another pair of shoes and had a fab 4 days.

Return trip was a synch - apart from heavy fog, in fact I got lost in the bay at PZ.
Old 01 June 2005, 11:48   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Did I read correctly, you took your dog with you on this trip?
Old 01 June 2005, 12:02   #3

Piccies

On the way out I was a tad busy to take some photos, although now I wished I had.

Have attached some though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	12260   Click image for larger version

Name:	wakeboarding1.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	12263   Click image for larger version

Name:	sciilion.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	12264   Click image for larger version

Name:	scillion3.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	12265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	12266  

Old 01 June 2005, 12:05   #4

Yep - managed to save £30 by taking her with me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	12267  
Old 01 June 2005, 12:14   #5

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I really think you should offer your services to the RYA or RNLI because as a teaching aid you would be invaluable Des
Old 01 June 2005, 12:19   #6

Town: Fareham
Read your other post and this.....Doesn't sound as though you did much in the way of planning though. I'm glad it all worked out for you, but does sound pretty irresponsible to me.

For anyone reading this with little experience, don't do it!! Go on a RYA level II or advanced course and do some learning first.

Nice pics though!

Andy
Old 01 June 2005, 12:21   #7

You gotta push the boundries every now and then.

The general consensus from this forum was that the boat would last longer than I would - take fear out of the equation, arm yourself with as much safety equipment as possible.

I am now wiser and happy that I made the trip - and yes I would do it again.
Old 01 June 2005, 12:25   #8

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Oh dear, you got away with it and now you are captain confidence. Suspect you learned little truly. And a bit cruel on the dog, if your shoes got washed away how did the poor bloody animal stay on its feet and onboard?
Old 01 June 2005, 12:26   #9

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Feck me that's a good story of your cruise and from an IT consultant too.

Very interesting - well done.

Paul
Old 01 June 2005, 12:28   #10

What was iressponsible about making a crossing to the scilliies - I knew the route, I knew the weather (hence this thread) I had a decent boat, Backup engine, 1 mounted VHF and a handheld, dry suit, chart, almanac, 180l of fuel.

I also asked for advice of this forum and informed family of my passage plan.

Where do you think I fell short.

Was it going solo??

Do you honestly believe that having somebody else in your boat in the event of a capsize is going to be any safer than being on your own.

Its a comfort thing - I did not have anybody that wanted to make the crossing and therfore did it on my own.

I knew the risks and took my chances - in the end it was all I expected it to be and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 01 June 2005, 12:31   #11

The dog was fine - she just curled up on the floor and did whatever dogs do when the lie motionless.
Old 01 June 2005, 12:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
........did whatever dogs do when the lie motionless.
Wish they had a more sensible owner Des
Old 01 June 2005, 12:44   #13

1...The day was immense - the added effect of no sleep and howling wind and waves really made for an adrenalin packed day.

2...It all started badly when the chick spilled 15l of 2 stroke oil into the hull.

3.....realize i needed a dump...

4...Pushing out into the harbor following the ferry I scrolled through the gps for my pre-programmed St Mary's (from my Easter trip) only to discover it was not there

5...I flew along at around 20knots, stuff flying everywhere water in the face and a dog cowering at my feet. Passed a large coastguard ship in the bay and rounded the headland - food and poorly packed camping equipment now going everywhere.

6...After 2 hours kip I decided to sort the boat out for my next attempt - quick trip to Iceland seen plenty of bin bags to water proof the tons of gear.

7...I the had a chat with Ginger Coatstie - whom noticed my gear oil was leaking and milky.

8...Ahh could anything else go wrong??

9...Passed the shipping lane and zipped close behind a large container ship - getting loads of strange looks from the crew as I was bobbing along.

10...Decided I should do a radio check as I was now at the mid way point - no reply, great stuff I flip and it really is all over.

11...In the end I cruised into St Mary's - only to find the family had turned their phones off and were nowhere to be seen (they did not think I would set off).

12...My shoes were washed over board.

A second crew member is an extremely good Idea.

Your not just risking your life when you go out in rough conditions but that of the RNLI when they come to rescue you.

If I remember the other thread, then the majority was against the trip, based on weather, but after reading your above post it would seem that there are other issues as well.

What you do, is upto you! All I'm saying is that novices shouldn't read your exploits and decide that because one person has done it, so should they.
Old 01 June 2005, 12:57   #14

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
You gotta push the boundries every now and then.
Yeh, cool and well done to you.
Old 01 June 2005, 13:18   #15

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Sounds like quite a trip, well done. Looks like you've found a few preparation bits to improve on next time though
Old 01 June 2005, 13:23   #16

rob's chick

just read the thread of the exploits of Rob. For the record I did not spill the oil in the boat. Did Rob forget to tell you he didn't screw the cap on properly??? and a hyperactive neighbours kid knocked it over when we were loading the boat. (Yes rob was going to take a 10 year old kid with him on that crossing also-until I booked him a ticket)

Also for the record

Rob didn't tell us he was crossing - last message we had said book into B&B sea too rough - hence phones switched off.

The dog got seasick

Rob lives on fear, adrenalin and chocolate bars he became a slalom skiing medal winner with only about 10 weeks total skiiing experience

He also forgot to pack tent poles for the family tent - luckily the women who ran the B&B we booked into lent us her tent for the rest of our stay.

His budgeting experience is similar to his boating a £300 break in the scillies turned into an £1,100 adventure and a half.

I think he learnt from his experience coming over and hoodwinked his sister into travelling back on the rib. They then got lost at sea in fog for 2 hours...............about 200 yards off of the coast.

You were not the only ones advising him not to go........however as you will have all realised by now he takes the advice of no one.

Chick
Old 01 June 2005, 13:23   #17

Quote:
You gotta push the boundries every now and then
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Yeh, cool and well done to you.
There is a difference between pushing the limit and being reckless and supporting this type of approach sends the wrong message. Des
Old 01 June 2005, 13:28   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Dear Rob's Chick

Never mind who spilt the oil. I've got coffee all over my desk and keyboard because I took a mouthful just before I read your post!

John
Old 01 June 2005, 13:29   #19

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
At the risk of incurring the wrath of 99% of the forum...

Quote:
You were not the only ones advising him not to go........however as you will have all realised by now he takes the advice of no one.

Chick
Typical man, huh!

Welcome to the forum, Rob's Chick!

Edit: hope you checked the life insurance...
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2005, 13:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des

There is a difference between pushing the limit and being reckless and supporting this type of approach sends the wrong message. Des
Well said!

Just read the "Chicks" message......Says it all!