Closed Thread

Old 23 November 2020, 10:33   #21

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
We've owned over 80 cars and I've worked on/advised on hundreds more. We had a Disco as well as five "real" Land Rovers and I looked after several more. My pragmatic solutions...

Check chassis and make any repairs needed. Replace whole sections rather than faffing with patchwork everywhere. Prime/paint repaired/replaced sections.

During hot summer weather pressure wash... commercial/farm washer best. Drive about for a week in sunny weather to dry well. Treat whole underside with a generous coating of black Waxoyl or similar and spray inside box sections where possible (particularly in area of welded repairs).

Then drive it and don't worry until about at the three year point when a quick "top up" spray over any weathered away areas should suffice.

I still do this with our cars. The actually underbodies rarely need it these days but suspension and other steel components are rarely well treated and I hate to see these bits red-rust on an otherwise smart car.
Good advice as ever Fenlander.
Old 23 November 2020, 11:35   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
We've owned over 80 cars and I've worked on/advised on hundreds more. We had a Disco as well as five "real" Land Rovers and I looked after several more. My pragmatic solutions...

Check chassis and make any repairs needed. Replace whole sections rather than faffing with patchwork everywhere. Prime/paint repaired/replaced sections.

During hot summer weather pressure wash... commercial/farm washer best. Drive about for a week in sunny weather to dry well. Treat whole underside with a generous coating of black Waxoyl or similar and spray inside box sections where possible (particularly in area of welded repairs).

Then drive it and don't worry until about at the three year point when a quick "top up" spray over any weathered away areas should suffice.

I still do this with our cars. The actually underbodies hardly need it these days often outliving the car's life but suspension and other steel components are rarely well treated and I hate to see these bits red-rust on an otherwise smart car.
i had my shogun 10 years i did it with waxoyl soon as i got it home whilst still brand new wasnt a mark on it when i sold her
Old 23 November 2020, 12:51   #23

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Quote:

I still do this with our cars. The actually underbodies hardly need it these days often outliving the car's life but suspension and other steel components are rarely well treated and I hate to see these bits red-rust on an otherwise smart car.

Hot summer weather , week of summer weather ? In Scotland thats a big ask even with global warming! Think for us the best protection is keeping the car out the sea.

I do sympathise tho , my regular slip has been improved and lengthened for low tides , but it is a shallower gradient now so i am fretting between the competing demands of water under the hull and prop and water under the car , i can just manage now with rubber in the water and the rim of the rear alloy wheel, which then gets hosed down with the trailer .

My experiences with Land Rover Discovery 3 and less so 4 , that the air suspension was likely to throw the towel in, long before rust being an issue for the owner.
Old 23 November 2020, 12:52   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
It always makes me smile when somepeople cant seem to answer the question asked. particularly when they know nowt about the circumstances. When I was at school if you did not answer the question you got nil points.
just as well we're not at school then isn't it - it may have escaped your notice but this is a discussion forum.

Quote:
Rather like going to the doctors with a Broken leg and asking him what can be done
and his answer being Don't break it in the first place.
No, more like going to the doctor with a broken leg and asking him how not to break it again - would drinking more milk make the bones stronger? and being dissatisfied when the Doc says, perhaps we should look at the balance issue that made you fall over rather than protecting your already ageing bones. But preferring the answers which involve amputating the leg and fitting a new stronger one, or eating more cheese...
Old 23 November 2020, 16:33   #25

Town: Newburgh
Boat name: Sea you anon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard DF 150
MMSI: 235054129
RIBase
Preserve & Protect do a cracking job. Had my old Hilux done a few years back and submit for annual inspection and touch up every year. Much reversing of truck into salt water over the years and still looking good. Give Mark a call and he will explain the whole process, he’s very passionate about what he does! 01505336256‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬ or Mobile ‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪‪07460656226‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬ ‬‬‬‬
Old 24 November 2020, 03:32   #26

Town: Cali
Boat name: Thumper
Make: Avon CRRC 4.5
Engine: Merc 50
My P 38 has no salty issues... hardly ever runs long enough to make it to the ramp often... Me young British bird said ..' The Rangi is a proper boat hauler and has a nice leather scent and good stereo.. I'm paying the price of submission now.

Cheers, Squid
Old 24 November 2020, 06:03   #27

Many people like to Dis Land Rovers and I agree they have their issues. I still think however they are one of the best tow vehicles out there..... Looking for a nice Disco 4 at the moment. there are several about but might wait till next spring
Old 24 November 2020, 07:18   #28

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Many people like to Dis Land Rovers and I agree they have their issues. I still think however they are one of the best tow vehicles out there..... Looking for a nice Disco 4 at the moment. there are several about but might wait till next spring
Aaahh, the D4, make sure you get the 3 litre tdv6, they NEVER suffer from top end oil starvation and fail at low miles...........................
Old 24 November 2020, 11:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Aaahh, the D4, make sure you get the 3 litre tdv6, they NEVER suffer from top end oil starvation and fail at low miles...........................
As ever many thanks for the informative and useful comment
Old 24 November 2020, 13:20   #30

Quote:
As ever many thanks for the informative and useful comment
Your welcome Warning potential purchasers to a known and documented issue ( the D4's have a number of engine related concerns..........anyone mention crank shafts?............ ), is a good thing isn't it?
Old 24 November 2020, 13:50   #31

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
It is a real shame that LR seem to sit either at the bottom or very close to it in any reliability survey. I'm assuming that they do have a reliability issue rather than a few well publicised cases but it has certainly put me off buying one.
Old 24 November 2020, 14:18   #32

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Your welcome Warning potential purchasers to a known and documented issue ( the D4's have a number of engine related concerns..........anyone mention crank shafts?............ ), is a good thing isn't it?

Is that the same 3.0d engine that’s also in the Range Rover, Sport,Velar, some Jaguar models and the Discovery 5
Or just the Discovery 4?
Old 24 November 2020, 14:23   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
Is that the same 3.0d engine that’s also in the Range Rover, Sport,Velar, some Jaguar models and the Discovery 5
Or just the Discovery 4?
I don't know but I am sure there are people on here who also don't know but will of course give their opinion.
Old 24 November 2020, 14:50   #34

Quote:
I don't know but I am sure there are people on here who also don't know but will of course give their opinion.
And there's also the ones that do know

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...Crank-Failures

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index....seized.223682/

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...engine-failure

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/cars/...engine-1925479

Old 24 November 2020, 15:34   #35

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
its a problem across all 3.0 v 6 diesels even the later sdv6 the crankshaft literately snaps in two . out of the blue no warning not just unserviced cars either cars with full jlr service history snapping cranks at 40k yet others run to 200k theirs no way of knowing .and jlr refuse to accept its an issue and wont cover crankshafts on the official warranty . i have an earlier 2.7 tdv6 that is known to spin shells but touch wood mine has been trouble free for over 3 years.
Old 24 November 2020, 15:44   #36

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Its realy not on! All this landrover bashing, think of the positives, landrovers are a way of life its like buying a new hobby (fixing the landrover every weekend)
They also add to the excitement of each journey, if you get there how existing will it be to actually get back or even better get a ride back on a recovery truck with the flashies going!
You can even have a game of which light on the dash next or which corner of the car will be sat on its arse when you return to it & will it lift up when you start it.
Yeh landrover life is never boring[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Old 24 November 2020, 15:56   #37

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
It is a real shame that LR seem to sit either at the bottom or very close to it in any reliability survey. I'm assuming that they do have a reliability issue rather than a few well publicised cases but it has certainly put me off buying one.
I think it depends to an extent on what exactly you pick and how it's been looked after as they do have a few more moving parts to look after than some cars. I've only owned/driven Land Rovers since I was 16/17, and I've never had any issues beyond what I would consider to be routine maintenance. But that's being fairly picky on what I buy and sometimes looking at numerous vehicles over many months to find the one I want.

I ran my first 1985 2.5 diesel Ninety for 4 years at school/Uni, and that was superb. Maybe a fuel tank outrigger needed replacing due to rust, and a few seals replacing, but that was it, which given it's age was great.

I then ran a 2003 TD5 Defender 110 SW for 9 years, which never missed a beat. I'd still be driving that if my now wife hadn't suggested I get something more "comfortable" before we got married, as we did mainly use it for long motorway journeys. Both of the above vehicles left me in amazing condition though, and the first person to view each bought them, and paid me more than I bought them for.

I've now been running a 2011 5.0 supercharged L322 Range Rover for the last 3 years with no real issues. I was slightly concerned at buying one of those given the complexity, but to date has been great. The air suspension does age perish and I replaced the front air springs/shocks earlier this year after one picked up a slow pinhole leak, but that's an easy job to do at home and just took a couple of hours to swap out - not bad for 8-9 years usage, as they are heavy vehicles.

But having said that, there are specific models/engines/years I wouldn't touch for various reasons, but not sure how much worse that is that many other manufacturers!
Old 24 November 2020, 17:11   #38

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
I think it depends to an extent on what exactly you pick and how it's been looked after as they do have a few more moving parts to look after than some cars. I've only owned/driven Land Rovers since I was 16/17, and I've never had any issues beyond what I would consider to be routine maintenance. But that's being fairly picky on what I buy and sometimes looking at numerous vehicles over many months to find the one I want.

I ran my first 1985 2.5 diesel Ninety for 4 years at school/Uni, and that was superb. Maybe a fuel tank outrigger needed replacing due to rust, and a few seals replacing, but that was it, which given it's age was great.

I then ran a 2003 TD5 Defender 110 SW for 9 years, which never missed a beat. I'd still be driving that if my now wife hadn't suggested I get something more "comfortable" before we got married, as we did mainly use it for long motorway journeys. Both of the above vehicles left me in amazing condition though, and the first person to view each bought them, and paid me more than I bought them for.

I've now been running a 2011 5.0 supercharged L322 Range Rover for the last 3 years with no real issues. I was slightly concerned at buying one of those given the complexity, but to date has been great. The air suspension does age perish and I replaced the front air springs/shocks earlier this year after one picked up a slow pinhole leak, but that's an easy job to do at home and just took a couple of hours to swap out - not bad for 8-9 years usage, as they are heavy vehicles.

But having said that, there are specific models/engines/years I wouldn't touch for various reasons, but not sure how much worse that is that many other manufacturers!
By co-incidence a Land Rover was my first car - a 1973 Lightweight with a Ford V6 and I'll always miss it but since then via a few normal cars I've ended up with Toyota's - a couple of Hilux and a couple of Land Cruisers. Touching wood the reliability has been perfect but my current one is starting to suffer from tin worm.
Old 24 November 2020, 17:46   #39

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
i wasn't bashing them i love my l320 and as is usual with these you go through the first 6 months of ownership fixing the niggles that the previous owner put off and i am very happy with mine i cant think of anything id rather put £5k into that would be such a great all rounder . i think all modern 4x4 seem to have issues ford ranger oil pumps anyone navara chassis / timing chains hi lux rotten chassis ect ect
Old 24 November 2020, 17:57   #40
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
My 4.7l Jeep Grand Cherokee is 20 years old, I’ve had it for 17. It’s been regularly serviced and took us to Belgium, Scotland and plenty of times down the West Country last year.
Lots of launching various ribs all over the place on open beaches and slipways.
I’ve never dunked it in the sea - I used to carry a steel towing bracket extension, about 2m long which worked perfectly on shallow beaches/slipways. I don’t have a picture of it unfortunately but I bought it from Hayling Trailers who are now gone. I’ve seen others though!